RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 05/06/21 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there some elephant/zoo connection to Brooklyn that I'm not getting?

pilight

PostPosted: 05/06/21 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

When the Brooklyn Bridge first opened they walked an elephant across it to show people it was safe

PostPosted: 05/06/21 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

When the Brooklyn Bridge first opened they walked an elephant across it to show people it was safe

Oh.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/06/21 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:
To me, it's a visual signal that the Liberty have become Republicans. Twisted Evil

I had a similar first thought. I like elephants in real life, but I don’t like them as a mascot, considering they represent the republican party.

Not everything needs to be politicized

PostPosted: 05/06/21 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:
To me, it's a visual signal that the Liberty have become Republicans. Twisted Evil

I had a similar first thought. I like elephants in real life, but I don’t like them as a mascot, considering they represent the republican party.

CO-SIGN

Shades

PostPosted: 05/06/21 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:

An elephant is already politicized since it’s a long-established symbol of the GOP. Maybe efforts could be made to officially remove the elephant as the symbol of the GOP, since it’s a universally loved animal, except by the Trump boys who hunt them on safari and cut off their tails as trophies.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 05/06/21 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmvcity

PostPosted: 05/06/21 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So now we can have Dumbo in DUMBO.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/06/21 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
So now we can have Dumbo in DUMBO.

Apparently they’ve named it Ellie.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/06/21 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ULrYSNuqet8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

auntie

PostPosted: 05/06/21 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Maddie is going to the Mascot Retirement Home?

PostPosted: 05/06/21 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

auntie wrote:
So Maddie is going to the Mascot Retirement Home?

The Liberty said Maddie would be Mascot Emeritus. They'll trot him out for special ceremonial occasions.

PostPosted: 05/06/21 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chip wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:

CO-SIGN

If you haven't been on Liberty social media lately, this is the most woke sports organization I can think of. If management chooses to behave that way, then they better expect extra scrutiny.

PostPosted: 05/06/21 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Chip wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:

CO-SIGN

If you haven't been on Liberty social media lately, this is the most woke sports organization I can think of. If management chooses to behave that way, then they better expect extra scrutiny.

This.

Liberty management promotes messages that don’t align with the Republican Party. Black Lives Matter. Stop Asian Hate. Amongst other things.
Maybe they wanna take the elephant from the Republicans Wink Cool

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/06/21 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Yes.

PostPosted: 05/06/21 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:

CO-SIGN

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/06/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Chip wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:

CO-SIGN

This. If you're going to position yourself as socially and politically aware, perhaps awareness of one of the major political parties' mascots should be a thing. I'm also not sure if they intentionally went for the concept of "the elephant in the room" but it's definitely there.

I am also of the opinion that whether or not Ellie is a shoutout to Ellis Island, it is also a lazy name choice that you could probably have gotten from a five-year-old. If they want to trumpet the virtues of the elephant, perhaps they should have chosen a name that would represent one of those virtues.

PostPosted: 05/06/21 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This might be one of the silliest debates I've seen. Ever.

Republicans do not OWN the imagery of Elephants. And it does not make the Liberty any less politically or socially aware to use an Elephant as a mascot. We are talking about an elephant for goodness sake. This is not some covert nod or endorsement of Republican policies.

That being said, I think the choice of an elephant is stupid on its own merits regardless of the connotation to republicans.

Randy

PostPosted: 05/06/21 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NY is also famous for Thomas Edison electrocuting an elephant in Coney Island. So perhaps they will relive that wonderful moment at games.

http://edison.rutgers.edu/topsy.htm

Quote:
Did Edison really electrocute Topsy the Elephant?

It is arguably the most famous animal execution ever—the killing of Topsy the elephant at Luna Park on Coney Island in January 1903. It received national coverage in the newspapers, and the Edison Manufacturing Co. sent a film crew to document it.
Razz

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/06/21 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First of all, my original post was a JOKE. Why do you think I used the Twisted Evil emoji?

That said, if you're going to present yourself as this very politically and socially aware organization, then for a left-leaning group to choose the same symbol as the Republican party for their mascot does look a bit clueless. I think someone fell asleep at the wheel. Unless, they were intentionally being ironic -- which I doubt -- I don't think it's inappropriate for me to make fun of them. I used to deal with a security alarm company called American Security Systems. Pretty innocuous sounding name, right? The problem is that their initials are ASS. Obviously they didn't want to be associated with butts. However, it was an embarrassing oversight which they never bothered to fix. So, our receptionist used to have fun announcing that the ASS-man was here every time they came to make repairs.

As an aside, justifying the choice by identifying themselves with the Barnum elephant walk only compounds the problem. Circus animals became a major cause for animal rights activists, and it did lead to most circuses eliminating animals. That in turn probably put the final nail in the coffin for Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey, which went out of business in 2017.

PostPosted: 05/06/21 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While these seem super obvious and not very creative I do not understand why the mascot isn't a funky Lady Liberty, an anthropomorphic torch called "Torchy or Lit" or a dog cousin of Maddie called "Barclay".

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/06/21 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We were spitballing a few ideas at home. We ended up with a lot of birds: something modeled on the peregrine falcons from Central Park, or based on a robin (one of the Dodgers' early nicknames), or the wild parrots of Brooklyn, or an eagle as a nod to the Brooklyn Eagle. I thought a gargoyle-type mascot would have been neat. He suggested a bulldog, as symbolic of Brooklyn's attitude while still a callback to our former canine mascot, or a mermaid in honor of the Mermaid Parade and as a nod to our LGBTQIA fan base (although mermaids don't really do well on dry land, so we scotched that one).

That's not even getting into more problematic possibilities, such as anything based on the more notable fauna of the big city, or on the seal of the city, or anything humanoid.

PostPosted: 05/06/21 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As far as I know, no one dislikes Maddie or was calling for a new mascot. In fact, a lot of us love Maddie. So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

PostPosted: 05/07/21 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
As far as I know, no one dislikes Maddie or was calling for a new mascot. In fact, a lot of us love Maddie. So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think you're right. My guess: it's what we see in many areas of our culture. A new regime comes in and they want to change lots of things--and often lots of personnel--just to differentiate themselves from the past. Symbolic changes are often part of that effort. The result: "we have new owners, we'll be in a new arena in a different borough of NYC, so we need a new mascot."

For reasons well stated in this discussion by root_thing and others, I believe they've made a poor choice. I'm not one who cares much about team mascots. But if a new mascot is already receiving a negative response from some passionate fans, then someone wasn't thinking clearly.

And "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a pretty good rule. Smile

PostPosted: 05/07/21 1:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought they changed it because Maddie was named after Madison Square Garden?

I am all for "If ain't broke" but If you own an arena you probably don't want your mascot to have the name of the previous arena where the team played.

That is kind of why I thought Maddie's Brooklyn cousin Barclay or Barkley could have been an easy if not too creative solution.

I also think a cute dancing cartoon torch named Lit could have been fun "Welcome your NY Liberty, now let's get this arena Lit!" cue the dancing Torch with pyrotechnics or rotating, multi-colored flame. "This team is on fire!" etc

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/07/21 2:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I explained previously, the current Madison Square Garden is the third or fourth version. The original one was near Madison Square, off Madison Avenue, which in turn is named after James Madison. We can easily think of Maddie as just being named after an early president. In fact, before it came up recently, I didn't even know Maddie was named after Madison Square Garden. I'm sure a lot of fans didn't know, and if they did, how many cared?

This is clearly a marketing, clean house, new beginning kind of thing. No way they did a focus group and fans said their decision to come to games hinged on their feelings about the mascot. This was purely a management initiative. I understand changes to uniforms because it gives them new merchandise to sell. And new uniforms can actually provide the team with a new look on the court. But replacing a beloved mascot? It seems like a move that's all risk with very little reward -- if any.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 30 of 69

Jump to: