RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

slightly OT: 15 year old sues to play in NWSL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/05/21 9:03 pm    ::: slightly OT: 15 year old sues to play in NWSL Reply Reply with quote

but I would think ramifications for basketball as well.

https://www.oregonlive.com/soccer/2021/05/15-year-old-soccer-phenom-olivia-moultrie-sues-for-right-to-compete-in-national-womens-soccer-league.html

Quote:
Further, the comparable men’s league in the United States, Major League Soccer, has no age limit and has had many players under 18, wrote the Moultries’ lawyers

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/05/21 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting. Great post, myrtle.

As a total layperson, I would think child labor laws could potentially come into play here since she's only 15.

But for wbb & the W, I mean... you look at the NBA – which of course also owns the WNBA. Teens with one year of college under their belt are currently eligible and drafted annually. For the sake of discussion, could it be argued that that's age/gender discrimination? Two Leagues owned by the same company of sorts, one for each main 'gender' (which is its own hyper-relevant topic these days, isn't it), but some could possibly view each League's respective entry rules as a double standard...

Clark or Bueckers should sue the League on this basis (or both of them – class action suit! Girl power! #CountIt ) if they're bored this summer, just to test this all out. Twisted Evil

Well, really, that ship has sort of sailed since they just finished their first year at college, but oh well. Azzi Fudd, you've got next! #BetOnWomen

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/05/21 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lots of things could be argued. The primary difference, at the moment, is that the WNBA (and, separately, NBA) has a Collective Bargaining Agreement. The NWSL doesn't. So the players have a union which has agreed the rules with their league, and signed a document to set those rules. The NWSL hasn't, and that's a key part of the argument being made in this case.

So a basketball player who wanted to make a stink would need a different argument.

PostPosted: 05/06/21 6:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A 15 year old does not need to be playing professionally.

Yes of course it may be possible for her to do so, but just because it may be possible doesn't mean it's a good idea.
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/06/21 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:

Yes of course it may be possible for her to do so, but just because it may be possible doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Who are we to say? Maybe her family desperately needs every penny ...

PostPosted: 05/06/21 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had fulltime Summer work at that age so looked this up.
As far as child labor:
Quote:
Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), youths 14 and 15 years old may work outside school hours in various non-manufacturing, non-mining, non-hazardous jobs under certain conditions. Permissible work hours for 14- and 15-year-olds are: 3 hours on a school day; ... 40 hours in a non-school week

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/youthlabor/workhours#:~:text=Under%20the%20Fair%20Labor%20Standards,hours

pilight

PostPosted: 05/06/21 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I had fulltime Summer work at that age so looked this up.
As far as child labor:
Quote:
Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), youths 14 and 15 years old may work outside school hours in various non-manufacturing, non-mining, non-hazardous jobs under certain conditions. Permissible work hours for 14- and 15-year-olds are: 3 hours on a school day; ... 40 hours in a non-school week

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/youthlabor/workhours#:~:text=Under%20the%20Fair%20Labor%20Standards,hours

Note that some states have even stricter rules

PostPosted: 05/06/21 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not even sure if it's primarily about wanting to be paid to play; it's about being allowed to play at the highest level available. Plenty of female basketball (and soccer, actually) players in Europe play in their country's 'professional' league but actively avoid taking payment for it, so that they remain NCAA-eligible. But there's no rule to stop them making that league whenever they're good enough. This kid is saying I'm good enough already, so why shouldn't I be allowed to play at the top level?

PostPosted: 05/06/21 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I'm not even sure if it's primarily about wanting to be paid to play; it's about being allowed to play at the highest level available. Plenty of female basketball (and soccer, actually) players in Europe play in their country's 'professional' league but actively avoid taking payment for it, so that they remain NCAA-eligible. But there's no rule to stop them making that league whenever they're good enough. This kid is saying I'm good enough already, so why shouldn't I be allowed to play at the top level?

and apparently she already has a big Nike contract.

awhom111

PostPosted: 05/07/21 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting situation with no rival women's pro league in the US yet, although there are some in the pipeline and she can't play in a league in another country until she turns 18 either.

The NBA does not restrict itself only to men, right? Technically any woman could then declare for their draft in their age 19 year. I wonder if the NCAA sees it that way and a woman could declare for the NBA draft, but keep her college eligibility in women's basketball like students can be professional baseball players, but compete in other sports in college. Strictly speaking, the WNBA has no age minimum, unlike the NBA, so I suppose one of the child prodigies who graduated at 14 or whenever is the youngest person to ever be eligible for the WNBA draft. That was the reason for my mildly tongue-in-cheek article suggesting that Juste Jocyte should enroll in any four-year college in the United States that will accept her this fall.

On the flip side, FIFA actually prevents women from playing in men's leagues even if the league itself does not mind. Canada's national team goalkeeper Stephanie Labbe had personal reasons for wanting to be in her home area so she tried out for the local men's amateur team, but they were told that she would not be allowed to play in a competitive game.
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/25/21 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2021/05/judge-gives-15-year-old-olivia-moultrie-opportunity-to-compete-for-a-spot-to-play-on-national-womens-soccer-league.html

Judge rules 15-year-old Olivia Moultrie is eligible to sign contract with National Women’s Soccer League

so-many-pickles

PostPosted: 05/26/21 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

Who are we to say? Maybe her family desperately needs every penny ...

To me, her family needing every penny would be a point in favor of strong child labor laws.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/26/21 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is an issue that has been covered in tennis for years, back to the time of Chris Evert to Tracy Austin, Andrea Jaeger, Jennifer Capriotti, Venus Williams and now Coco Gauff. There was a 13 year old boy trying to qualify for the US Open golf this week. The only real differences are that this is a team sport and the issue of a union contract.

She should be allowed to play with the Thorns, but I would hope there are guidelines set between the team and the parents with regard to practice time, schooling and travel.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/26/21 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But does it open the way for similar signings in women's basketball ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: