RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/04/21 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just in case someone comes to this thread and hasn't seen it: there's a new thread posted today with an article about "up and coming" WNBA coaches. Second on the list is... Katie Smith??? I have posted a comment there after a similar comment by Randy. Some of you will be able to guess at what I said. Smile

PostPosted: 05/05/21 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Release:

New York Liberty guard/forward Jocelyn Willoughby suffered a tear of her left Achilles’ tendon during the team’s scrimmage on May 3 at Connecticut. Willoughby underwent a successful surgical repair today at Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS).

PostPosted: 05/05/21 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad sad for Willoughby. We don't know if it was a partial or complete tear? I think recovery times are different. But either way she won't play this season.

At this point NY has to be glad they don't have a salary cap issue, so even with Durr and Willoughby out, they will have 10 players? I really don't know why the IR went away.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/05/21 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Per Release:

New York Liberty guard/forward Jocelyn Willoughby suffered a tear of her left Achilles’ tendon during the team’s scrimmage on May 3 at Connecticut. Willoughby underwent a successful surgical repair today at Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS).

Horrible news!!! Willoughby is not only a talented player but has shown what a great person she is by creating and running her public book club--focusing on injustices against Black and Brown people--in association with the Cafe Con Libros bookstore in Brooklyn.

I've read on Facebook (NY Liberty press release) that Willoughby is out for the 2021 season.

PostPosted: 05/05/21 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Per Release:

Dammit man. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 05/05/21 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The press release clearly said Jocelyn will not play this season. Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery. I'm sure she'll still be active in community work.

So, Willoughby is unable to play but will occupy both a roster spot and cap space. Howard and Stokes will miss at least two games each and maybe as many as five. Sabrina did not play in the scrimmage on Monday "out of an abundance of caution." Does that mean she's not ready to play yet? Or if she's able to play, is it only limited minutes? 15-20 mpg? 10-15 mpg? 5-10 mpg?

Suspending Johannes for the season looks like a no-brainer now. Similarly, they need to do whatever they can to at least get Durr off the roster. Since New York starts the season with no more than 9 useable bodies, I believe they are entitled to an Emergency Hardship player.

PostPosted: 05/05/21 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
The press release clearly said Jocelyn will not play this season. Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery. I'm sure she'll still be active in community work.

So, Willoughby is unable to play but will occupy both a roster spot and cap space. Howard and Stokes will miss at least two games each and maybe as many as five. Sabrina did not play in the scrimmage on Monday "out of an abundance of caution." Does that mean she's not ready to play yet? Or if she's able to play, is it only limited minutes? 15-20 mpg? 10-15 mpg? 5-10 mpg?

Suspending Johannes for the season looks like a no-brainer now. Similarly, they need to do whatever they can to at least get Durr off the roster. Since New York starts the season with no more than 9 useable bodies, I believe they are entitled to an Emergency Hardship player.

What an unfortunate start to the season in so many ways. Certainly worrisome that Ionescu didn't play in the scrimmage "out of an abundance of caution." And the roster situation is very troubling.

PostPosted: 05/05/21 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
So, Willoughby is unable to play but will occupy both a roster spot and cap space.

Will she? Do we know that for sure?

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/05/21 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
root_thing wrote:
So, Willoughby is unable to play but will occupy both a roster spot and cap space.

Will she? Do we know that for sure?

Well, I've been having a lot of senior moments and screwing this stuff up, but I believe I'm right. Here's my reasoning. Maybe if New York can get Durr off the roster AND the cap, there's something they can do... if management doesn't mind looking bad. Otherwise, Willoughby was injured while playing for the team. They have to pay her and all paid salary occupies cap space. Now, in theory, everyone is always cuttable. They can free the roster spot if that's what they want. But they can't reuse the cap space, and right now the Liberty don't have enough cap room for another player. Therefore, they can't reuse the roster slot either. So, why would they cut Willoughby? They have nothing to gain, and doing so makes them look like heartless assholes. And remember, this is probably the most idealistic, touchy-feely organization around based on their public relations activities.

Last edited by root_thing on 05/05/21 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/05/21 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I just had this discussion with various people as well. Willoughby would count on the cap even if cut, so probably won't be. The roster spot that would open up by cutting her isn't much use to them.

PostPosted: 05/05/21 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any news on how Ionescu is looking?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/05/21 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's such a mess--and no one's fault. Here is how I wish it could have been. A full training camp with our best players there for all of it, including Lacey, Howard, Allen, and Stokes. Starting the season with a fully healthy Sabrina Ionescu (I sure as hell hope she is!), with a fully healthy Asia Durr in the starting lineup, with a fully healthy Jocelyn Willoughby coming off the bench, with Marine Johannes and Han Xu on the team, something like this:

Lacey/Allen/Willoughby
Howard/Onyenwere
Stokes/Han
Ionescu/Clarendon/Jones
Durr/Johannes/Whitcomb

Yes, my fantasy has 13 players and the WNBA only allows 12. I know that. Smile Even if you cut one of them, there wouldn't be nearly enough minutes for all our good players!!!

I want my fantasy, but the reality ahead is far from it. Such a bummer.

PostPosted: 05/05/21 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

Yes, my fantasy has 13 players and the WNBA only allows 12. I know that. Smile Even if you cut one of them, there wouldn't be nearly enough minutes for all our good players!!!

I want my fantasy, but the reality ahead is far from it. Such a bummer.

Would have loved this. Maybe one day 🙏🏽

Speedy and full recovery to Jocelyn!

This season, I’m hoping for a full season with a healthy Ionescu and competitive games, but not expecting much in the form of wins. Even before learning key players would be out for training camp due to overseas commitments, I had the team in the lottery. Now it may be a rough start to the season integrating new players and learning one another’s games.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/05/21 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess I have to start paying attention to the 2022 Mock Draft thread.

PostPosted: 05/05/21 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I guess I have to start paying attention to the 2022 Mock Draft thread.

NY still has time to put it together

our eventual rotation of 9 can still be competitive

Ionescu/Clarendon
Jones/Whitcomb
Laney
Allen/Onyenwere
Howard/Stokes

players to watch If we end up in the lottery in 22
Austin, Howard, Smith, Cunane

out of lottery
Austin, Cunane, Joens, Carter

really just Austin

Last edited by J-Spoon on 05/05/21 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/05/21 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also wishing Willoughby the best

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/05/21 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
really just Austin

Laughing That's basically where I am.

PostPosted: 05/05/21 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gfdi here's to a full recovery for Jocelyn and lots of interesting books to read in the meantime.

effit, I'm wearing that jersey opening day anyway

PostPosted: 05/05/21 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Per Release:

I wonder if that’s the reason they only played 3 quarters.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/05/21 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
Per Release:

I wonder if that’s the reason they only played 3 quarters.

No, I read an article before the game where Miller said they would probably play three quarters of game-like basketball. Afterward, the teams would work on specific things that the coaches agreed upon beforehand. So, it was kind of like a two-team practice. As Cheryl Reeve pointed out recently, the problem with working on plays or techniques against your teammates is that they know exactly what's coming. So, this was a chance for Miller and Hopkins to test some ideas against real opposition.

PostPosted: 05/06/21 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Passing the torch: First Look at Ellie, new Liberty mascot

https://thenext.substack.com/p/passing-the-torch-first-look-at-ellie

Quote:
Maddie isn’t going to just disappear.

Or as Clarke put it: “We’re not putting Maddie down, if that’s what you’re asking.”

PostPosted: 05/06/21 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me, it's a visual signal that the Liberty have become Republicans. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 05/06/21 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The looks on their faces do not make the snuggling seem consentual.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/06/21 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
To me, it's a visual signal that the Liberty have become Republicans. Twisted Evil

This was the last sleazy move engineered by She Who Will Not Be Named before she was forced to leave the WNBA. Smile

PostPosted: 05/06/21 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

I had a similar first thought. I like elephants in real life, but I don’t like them as a mascot, considering they represent the republican party.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 29 of 69

Jump to: