RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Transfers/Injuries/Sit-Outs 2020-21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil

PostPosted: 05/03/21 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

See
https://www.ncsasports.org/ncaa-eligibility-center/recruiting-rules/quiet-period

Note specifically the reference to May 3-9 for wbb

Phil

PostPosted: 05/03/21 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More information on the various periods and what is permissible here:
https://www.ncsasports.org/ncaa-eligibility-center/recruiting-rules/dead-period

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/03/21 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

G Nikki Oppenheimer transferring from JMU to St. Bonaventure. I believe she has 2 years of eligibility left. (BF Matt Lewis has transferred there, I think, and F Tori Harris transferred from JMU to there last year, so she'll have company.)

PostPosted: 05/03/21 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read the linked article, but I don’t see anything on recruiting shut down. This is not a dead period, where coaches are allowed to communicate via text and email. This is a complete shut down. My question is, although I know that they cannot communicate in any manner with high school recruits, are they allowed to communicate with transfers?

undersized_post

PostPosted: 05/03/21 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angela Dugalic enters the portal out of Oregon!

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2021/05/oregon-womens-basketball-forward-angela-dugalic-enters-transfer-portal-per-source.html?utm_campaign=oregoniansports_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I literally started a silly "transfer wishlist" thread a couple months ago just so I could say that I wish Dugalic would transfer to Iowa Laughing It's probably not going to happen, but she'd fit right in to Iowa's collage of Midwesterners as an Illinois girl and certainly help address Iowa's current weaknesses.

edit: Absolutely no idea where she was recruited out of HS, but I could also see her following Mikesell to Ohio State, who badly needs post players after losing Patty and Juhasz.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/04/21 4:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maud Huibjens, the “other” freshman post player transferring out of Syracuse it’s going to Spokane to join the Zags. That’s a good pick up considering Gonzaga will be without the services of the Wirth sisters As well as Jill Townshend Next season.

ucbart

PostPosted: 05/04/21 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2021/05/oregon-womens-basketball-forward-angela-dugalic-enters-transfer-portal-per-source.html?utm_campaign=oregoniansports_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I literally started a silly "transfer wishlist" thread a couple months ago just so I could say that I wish Dugalic would transfer to Iowa Laughing It's probably not going to happen, but she'd fit right in to Iowa's collage of Midwesterners as an Illinois girl and certainly help address Iowa's current weaknesses.

edit: Absolutely no idea where she was recruited out of HS, but I could also see her following Mikesell to Ohio State, who badly needs post players after losing Patty and Juhasz.

Dugalic would be a good fit for Iowa, but IMO, Iowa needs athleticism on the perimeter-especially on defense.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/04/21 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

This leaves EIGHT players on Kelly's roster, including 2 incoming freshmen....the other six of these eight have played no more than ONE SEASON each. I'm hoping he may be going after some 'experience' from the portal.

Last edited by Howee on 05/04/21 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/04/21 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
Tina Langley convinced Haley Van Dyke to come back to UW.

Nancy Mulkey is headed to UW as well. https://twitter.com/UW_WBB/status/1389026323750789120

...I would LOVE to see Langley get another Rice player on board, preferably a perimeter player with some experience.

Or heck, why not go for two. Razz

Quote:
Two more starters into the portal out of Rice WBB:
—Lauren Schwartz, 5-11 SO wing, Union, KY (13.1 PPG, 4.2 RPG)
—Jasmine Smith, 5-7 JR point guard, Cypress, TX (9.8 PPG, 4.9 RPG, 4.1 APG)

undersized_post

PostPosted: 05/04/21 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Dugalic would be a good fit for Iowa, but IMO, Iowa needs athleticism on the perimeter-especially on defense.

Hopefully Kylie Feuerbach who just transferred in from ISU can help with that.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/04/21 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Transfer Portal officially over 1,000.

PostPosted: 05/04/21 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked I'm trying to think how to make it into a lottery system Laughing
Maybe every player lists 5-10 schools where they want to go.
Meanwhile every school that wants to pick up players gets a random lottery number. #1 gets to pick a player from the list of those who mentioned that school as desirable. Then #2 picks and so forth.

well it would make it interesting. And the chaos would probably not be more chaotic than what is happening now. Wink Imagine how much work is going on around the country with coaches trying to evaluate the 1000 players in the portal.

RHSibley

PostPosted: 05/04/21 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

I think a lot of them will not get got! Sad.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/04/21 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RHSibley wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

I think a lot of them will not get got! Sad.

I can't get TOO sad over that.....I mean, they're trying to transfer out of a school they wanted to be at, after all.

PostPosted: 05/04/21 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Does your number include those who have already transferred and signed with another school, or currently people who have not transferred to another school. I read somewhere (I can’t recall where) that the transfer portal numbers that person was reporting included anyone that was in the transfer portal, including those that decided to withdraw from the portal and those that signed with another school.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/04/21 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Janai Crooms, Michigan State transfer, has elected to play her final two years at Providence. She’s from Cranston so that’s not completely out of left field.

https://friars.com/news/2021/5/4/womens-basketball-cranston-native-janai-crooms-set-to-return-home-and-attend-providence-college.aspx

PostPosted: 05/04/21 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Does your number include those who have already transferred and signed with another school, or currently people who have not transferred to another school. I read somewhere (I can’t recall where) that the transfer portal numbers that person was reporting included anyone that was in the transfer portal, including those that decided to withdraw from the portal and those that signed with another school.

That is the total that have entered the portal this year. Less than half of them have announced a new school. That doesn’t mean that they haven’t found it, but some, especially players going to NAIA’s or D2’s, don’t get reported. A few have decided not to transfer, and are notated on Raoul’s list at wbbblog.com

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/04/21 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

That is the total that have entered the portal this year. Less than half of them have announced a new school. That doesn’t mean that they haven’t found it, but some, especially players going to NAIA’s or D2’s, don’t get reported. A few have decided not to transfer, and are notated on Raoul’s list at wbbblog.com

Thanks!

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/04/21 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Raouls list is at 1000(1001 as of 7:45 pm PST 5/4/2021) I am not sure how this list is comprised but I have a feeling it is under represented as Raoul seems to report information obtained through an Extensive list of connections. I am not sure that Raoul has access to the actual portal. I had heard somewhere (again not sure of the veracity of this report), that the women’s list and hit 1000 a month ago.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/05/21 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Raouls list is at 1000(1001 as of 7:45 pm PST 5/4/2021) I am not sure how this list is comprised but I have a feeling it is under represented as Raoul seems to report information obtained through an Extensive list of connections. I am not sure that Raoul has access to the actual portal. I had heard somewhere (again not sure of the veracity of this report), that the women’s list and hit 1000 a month ago.

So let's say there are 12+ players on each of the 320 college teams. That's around 4,000 players. One thousand of them have expressed an interest in going to a different school, or 25%.

On the one hand, you can blame the immaturity of the players, and they are very young. It could be, of course, that they made a mistake with their first commitment, and want to rectify it. It could be that they are still immature and the reason they are transferring is that they aren't willing to work through a situation they could improve with more focus and commitment.

On the other hand, it could be that the system itself is flawed, and that athletes are treated poorly. If 25% of your labor pool is unhappy, it might say something about the working conditions ...

PostPosted: 05/05/21 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
On the other hand, it could be that the system itself is flawed, and that athletes are treated poorly. If 25% of your labor pool is unhappy, it might say something about the working conditions ...

Interesting thoughts, but a bit oversimplified, I'd think. As a counterpoint:
* 25% (~1000 kids) are going to have a VERY broad spectrum of reasons for their discontent.
*75% of the kids recognize and appreciate the positive deal to be had in 4 years of commitment = a college degree.
*Covid and its ramifications on NCAA rules has tempted more kids than usual.

PostPosted: 05/05/21 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You don't have to stay at the same school for four years to get a degree. Most of the people I know with degrees went to multiple schools.

PostPosted: 05/05/21 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

Raoul is way behind in some areas. He didn't have Rayne Tucker's move from JMU to Towson forever, if he even has it now....just as one example. I found out about it on the JMU board. I find out about a lot of transfers on Twitter via @womenshoopsworld and the Virginia ones via @ladyswish

PostPosted: 05/05/21 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
You don't have to stay at the same school for four years to get a degree. Most of the people I know with degrees went to multiple schools.

About 38% of students transfer within six years of enrollment. But more than half of those are students who transfer to a two-year college, rather than between four-year colleges. Something like 15% of students who start at a four-year school transfer to another four-year school.

Transferring between schools often (though not always) makes it more difficult to graduate in four years. The issue is that credits often don't fully transfer and/or requirements are different between institutions that put the transfer student behind.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/05/21 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The transfer portal is not open for viewing by the public or the media. Coaches have access to it. I have no idea how Raoul gets his info about it.

HERE is an official NCAA description of the history and operation of the portal. Some aspects:

Quote:
the media and the public don’t have access to the portal.

Quote:
Those with access to the portal can run reports on data such as how many student-athletes in a specific sport, school or conference actively are looking to transfer.

Quote:
Once student-athletes ask that a compliance administrator place their name in the portal, the school has two business days to submit the information.

Quote:
The downside for student-athletes is that their current school can reduce or stop giving them athletics aid at the end of the term in which the request was made to enter the Transfer Portal.

. . . .

If student-athletes withdraw from the portal, the original school can return them to the roster and restore athletics aid if it chooses.

Quote:
One of the misconceptions about the portal revolves around a process that has nothing to do with the portal itself: the question of whether a transferring student-athlete will be immediately eligible to compete at a new school.

. . . .

The portal doesn’t affect the decisions of the Division I waiver team, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have an impact.

Quote:
After student-athletes ask their school to enter their name in the portal, administrators have two business days to comply. Once their name is entered, student-athletes receive an email notifying them that they are in the portal.

Student-athletes can provide an email address and a phone number where any interested coaches can contact them. Or student-athletes can decide not to provide contact information and reach out to the schools they are interested in attending.

. . . .

The rationale behind the choice not to provide contact information is that some student-athletes already have an idea where they would like to transfer, and they don’t want their transfer process to mirror the experience of being recruited when they were high school.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: