RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Up and coming WNBA coaches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 05/04/21 12:46 pm    ::: Up and coming WNBA coaches Reply Reply with quote

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/up-coming-wnba-coaches/

Quote:
This list is broken down into three tiers. Tier 1 are coaches immediately ready to step into head coaching positions based on their resume and complete body of work. Tier 2 are current assistants who while might be relatively new to the WNBA, hold extensive head coaching experience outside of the league. Tier 3 coaches still have years of experience to gain, but are working up the ranks fast.

PostPosted: 05/04/21 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any list of this subject that doesn't include Shelly Patterson is a failure of a list. Only thing stopping her from being a head coach is her own desire to be one. But a list should acknowledge her and just include that caveat.

PostPosted: 05/04/21 2:32 pm    ::: Re: Up and coming WNBA coaches Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/up-coming-wnba-coaches/

Quote:
This list is broken down into three tiers. Tier 1 are coaches immediately ready to step into head coaching positions based on their resume and complete body of work. Tier 2 are current assistants who while might be relatively new to the WNBA, hold extensive head coaching experience outside of the league. Tier 3 coaches still have years of experience to gain, but are working up the ranks fast.

Noelle Quinn is "immediately ready to step into head coaching positions based on their resume and complete body of work"?

Randy

PostPosted: 05/04/21 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Smith? Liberty went from 22-12 to 7-27 under her coaching. Followed up with a 10-24 season. How is this up and coming?

pilight

PostPosted: 05/04/21 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Katie Smith? Liberty went from 22-12 to 7-27 under her coaching. Followed up with a 10-24 season. How is this up and coming?

It wasn't exactly the same team. The 2018 team only had nine of the 2017 team's top ten scorers (including all of the top seven) plus Nurse and Boyd.

PostPosted: 05/04/21 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Thanks, Randy. I was staggered when I began reading this article and the second "up and coming" coach was... Katie Smith. Like many Liberty fans, I had great hopes for Smith after her promotion to become our team's head coach. I am far from the only Liberty fan who thought she did a terrible job and did NOT show improvement from her rookie season as head coach to her second.

PostPosted: 05/04/21 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just hope whoever is hiring the next Dream HC doesn't take that article too seriously. Smile

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/04/21 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In fairness to Smith, plenty of head coaches have needed a second shot to really begin their journey to success. And she's the lead assistant for one of the best head coaches in the women's game - she's going to get interviews for future lead jobs.

PostPosted: 05/04/21 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:

It wasn't exactly the same team. The 2018 team only had nine of the 2017 team's top ten scorers (including all of the top seven) plus Nurse and Boyd.

They lost Raincock-Ekunwe who was the league's MVP... in France.

PostPosted: 05/04/21 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
In fairness to Smith, plenty of head coaches have needed a second shot to really begin their journey to success. And she's the lead assistant for one of the best head coaches in the women's game - she's going to get interviews for future lead jobs.

"In fairness to Katie Smith..."??? Sorry, but I don't believe there's a word I wrote that was unfair. I'm not against anyone giving Katie Smith a second WNBA head coaching job and I hope she does wonderfully. Yes, she'll get interviews for future lead jobs. But she did a lousy job in New York and what's written about her in that article is a ridiculous version of the truth.

PostPosted: 05/04/21 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Any list of this subject that doesn't include Shelly Patterson is a failure of a list.

I’m pleasantly shocked that you would criticize any Rachel Galligan analysis. I thought she was above reproach in your eyes. Progress?

justintyme wrote:
Only thing stopping her from being a head coach is her own desire to be one. But a list should acknowledge her and just include that caveat.

I don’t know. Not wanting to be a head coach does sorta disqualify somebody from being a worthy candidate. Of course as far as I know, it’s never been factually established that she doesn’t want to be a head coach. It’s only been speculation on his board. Got receipts?

Here’s my second tier (maybe first if she’s ready) candidate, the longest-tenured assistant coach in the WNBA.
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball/2021/4/28/22406347/julie-brase-hairgrove-arizona-women-basketball-lute-olson-phoenix-mercury-coaching-motherhood

Quote:
I think part of the reason I have been an assistant for such a long time is just because I do have three kids,” she said. “And raising three kids, I like my offseason being very hands-on and being able to go to school events. And all three of my kids are playing sports—soccer, softball—so super busy with the kids.”

Quote:
As her kids get older, Hairgrove is starting to consider life beyond assistant coaching.

I definitely think if a head coaching job were to open that makes sense for my family, I think that’s something I would definitely consider,” she said. “But it’s got to be right for the family. It’s something that I would like to try at some point in my career because being the assistant it’s great, but I think I’m ready to make that next step in the next couple of years.”

I’m starting to see why she’s been an assistant for 16 years. Change the “I think” to “I know”. Then after you know what you want, go after it and act like your ish don’t stink, like a Mulkey or a Reeve.

Quote:
“It’s got to be the right opportunity for the family and it’s gotta make sense when you’re talking about moving three kids and my husband with me,” Hairgrove said. “But I think that I love the pro game just because it’s all coaching... At the college level you’ve got the recruiting and you got to make sure they’re going to classes.

That’s what assistants are for. It’s a mistake to reveal that you’re not up for the challenge or you’re doubting yourself.

Quote:
I think coaching is just such a small part of that. So, I mean, I wouldn’t say I would never do college because if the opportunity came about, obviously I would do college.”

Yes, it’s so obvious. I wonder if she put in for the Baylor job... or was she just considering it until the job filled too quickly for her to make up her mind.

I never knew she was the granddaughter of Hall of Famer Lute Olson. That’s gotta look good on a resume. Just lose the wishy-washiness, if possible, and go for it.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 05/04/21 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/04/21 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

For sure. Vickie Johnson was so bad as a head coach the team moved, and now she is back.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/04/21 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Sandy Brondello springs to mind. She looked lost coaching San Antonio.

PostPosted: 05/04/21 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Any list of this subject that doesn't include Shelly Patterson is a failure of a list. Only thing stopping her from being a head coach is her own desire to be one. But a list should acknowledge her and just include that caveat.

She if she doesn’t want to be a head coach and this list is about people who the writer believes will be a future head coach what exactly would you be acknowledging her for?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/04/21 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Sandy Brondello springs to mind. She looked lost coaching San Antonio.

She's also an illustration of how much luck of the situation defines how well a coach can do (and then often how they're perceived). I imagine quite a lot of coaches could've done quite well handed a squad with a healthy Taurasi, Griner, Taylor, Bonner and Dupree, several of them smack bang in the middle of their primes.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: