RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

It was not his health. Matthew Mitchell explains exit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 05/02/21 9:44 am    ::: It was not his health. Matthew Mitchell explains exit Reply Reply with quote

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mark-story/article251049589.html

Quote:
“I am physically fine. I was physically cleared to go back to work,” Mitchell says. “I could have coached the team this year. Physically and mentally, I could have done it.”

PostPosted: 05/02/21 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Respect it.

PostPosted: 05/02/21 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper2009 wrote:
Respect it.

It was obvious his sudden departure was not health related after his wife posted pictures of he and his family skiing a few months after his brain surgery.

I would have respected the move had the timing been different and had he not deceived the public originally by saying it WAS because of his health. Waiting until November to make the announcement was a selfish move and a disservice to the players, staff, program and fans. I have to laugh that he’s writing a book on ‘leadership’.

While he has a lot of loyal fans, many had grown tired of his schtick and lack of progress in the program. I am looking forward to the future.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While his desire to leave because of altered priorities is understandable, lying about the reasons why certainly doesn't seem all that commendable.

I certainly wouldn't want to read a book about leadership from him.
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 05/03/21 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Cooper2009 wrote:
Respect it.

It was obvious his sudden departure was not health related after his wife posted pictures of he and his family skiing a few months after his brain surgery.

I would have respected the move had the timing been different and had he not deceived the public originally by saying it WAS because of his health. Waiting until November to make the announcement was a selfish move and a disservice to the players, staff, program and fans. I have to laugh that he’s writing a book on ‘leadership’.

While he has a lot of loyal fans, many had grown tired of his schtick and lack of progress in the program. I am looking forward to the future.

Agreed, and maybe she'll get better, but I don't think Elzy is the answer.

Cooper2009

PostPosted: 05/03/21 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Cooper2009 wrote:
Respect it.

Mm.. u don’t necessarily have to but I do. Unless you’ve been in his shoes or were in them, I just don’t think you can do anything but accept and respect his decision. Even if you don’t like the way he did it.

PostPosted: 05/03/21 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper2009 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Cooper2009 wrote:
Respect it.

Mm.. u don’t necessarily have to but I do. Unless you’ve been in his shoes or were in them, I just don’t think you can do anything but accept and respect his decision. Even if you don’t like the way he did it.

____x1

"Your ways are not my ways." OK? Let's just leave it at that.

PostPosted: 05/04/21 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I shall leave my team, staff and fans in the lurch, and lie about the reason.

I shall now admit the lie and motivation were solely self-centered and write a book on Leadership. I am obviously qualified to do so.

Quite a guy.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/04/21 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Mitchell ever lied or deceived anyone about his reasons for leaving coaching. Some people who didn't read his statement, or read too much into it, or who wrote snappy headlines about it, may have assumed his health made him unable to coach, but that's not how he phrased it. Here is his entire resignation statement:

Quote:
"After much conversation with my family and Mr. Barnhart, I have decided to retire from coaching and effectively have resigned as head coach at Kentucky. This was a difficult decision and I know the timing is not ideal, but I do not feel I can give the job what it requires at this time. As has been much publicized, I have had an eventful offseason with my injury and subsequent surgery. I have been open about the fact that the surgery and recovery process has been life-altering for me and my family. Through that, my priorities towards my family and my faith has grown even larger than before and that has led me to make this decision. Although so much about today is sad because I will greatly miss the relationships and people that have constantly lifted up my family and me the last 13 years, I am resolute in my decision and comfortable with beginning the next chapter of my life. To the current players, thank you for all the support and love you have shown me, not only this year, but in years past. Each one of you has truly left a lasting impact on me and I will cherish our time together. To my former players, assistant coaches and support staff – each one of you has made me a better person and I will always extend a listening ear and encouraging word whenever you need it. I would be remiss if I also did not thank Mr. Barnhart, Lee T. Todd and Eli Capilouto for their commitment and support to women’s basketball at Kentucky and giving me a chance many years ago to be a part of this great university. To Big Blue Nation, 13 years ago you welcomed me and my family with open arms and Jenna and I are forever grateful. Kentucky is our home and this university and community are beautifully unique and special and we are so blessed to have this place in our lives. Finally, I want to thank Kyra Elzy, Niya Butts, Amber Smith, Amy Tilley and everyone in our current support staff for all of their hard work this offseason and preseason as the program navigated uncharted waters. I believe with every ounce of my heart that the greatest place for a young woman to go to college and become a better person ready to face what society has in store is at the University of Kentucky. I am steadfast in that belief because I know the people in this program spend every second of every day focused on how to make other’s lives better. Kyra has done an amazing job leading the program these past few months. She is one of the best coaches in college basketball and has displayed that throughout her career as a top-notch tactician, elite recruiter, and most of all, she is of the highest character. I have the utmost confidence in her to lead Kentucky women’s basketball into future success.”

Mitchell never said the surgery or recovery rendered him unable to coach, but rather that those experiences changed his life and time priorities toward his family and faith.
~UK~

PostPosted: 05/04/21 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
I shall leave my team, staff and fans in the lurch, and lie about the reason.

I shall now admit the lie and motivation were solely self-centered and write a book on Leadership. I am obviously qualified to do so.

Quite a guy.

+1

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/04/21 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I don't think Mitchell ever lied or deceived anyone about his reasons for leaving coaching. Some people who didn't read his statement, or read too much into it, or who wrote snappy headlines about it, may have assumed his health made him unable to coach, but that's not how he phrased it. Here is his entire resignation statement:

Quote:
"After much conversation with my family and Mr. Barnhart, I have decided to retire from coaching and effectively have resigned as head coach at Kentucky. This was a difficult decision and I know the timing is not ideal, but I do not feel I can give the job what it requires at this time. As has been much publicized, I have had an eventful offseason with my injury and subsequent surgery. I have been open about the fact that the surgery and recovery process has been life-altering for me and my family. Through that, my priorities towards my family and my faith has grown even larger than before and that has led me to make this decision. Although so much about today is sad because I will greatly miss the relationships and people that have constantly lifted up my family and me the last 13 years, I am resolute in my decision and comfortable with beginning the next chapter of my life. To the current players, thank you for all the support and love you have shown me, not only this year, but in years past. Each one of you has truly left a lasting impact on me and I will cherish our time together. To my former players, assistant coaches and support staff – each one of you has made me a better person and I will always extend a listening ear and encouraging word whenever you need it. I would be remiss if I also did not thank Mr. Barnhart, Lee T. Todd and Eli Capilouto for their commitment and support to women’s basketball at Kentucky and giving me a chance many years ago to be a part of this great university. To Big Blue Nation, 13 years ago you welcomed me and my family with open arms and Jenna and I are forever grateful. Kentucky is our home and this university and community are beautifully unique and special and we are so blessed to have this place in our lives. Finally, I want to thank Kyra Elzy, Niya Butts, Amber Smith, Amy Tilley and everyone in our current support staff for all of their hard work this offseason and preseason as the program navigated uncharted waters. I believe with every ounce of my heart that the greatest place for a young woman to go to college and become a better person ready to face what society has in store is at the University of Kentucky. I am steadfast in that belief because I know the people in this program spend every second of every day focused on how to make other’s lives better. Kyra has done an amazing job leading the program these past few months. She is one of the best coaches in college basketball and has displayed that throughout her career as a top-notch tactician, elite recruiter, and most of all, she is of the highest character. I have the utmost confidence in her to lead Kentucky women’s basketball into future success.”

Mitchell never said the surgery or recovery rendered him unable to coach, but rather that those experiences changed his life and time priorities toward his family and faith.

X _____________________

undersized_post

PostPosted: 05/04/21 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for returning us to his original statement, Glenn. I'm not a UK fan but I certainly hold no ill will towards him or think he tried to lie or deceive anyone. That said, I have absolutely no interest in reading his book about "leadership" -- a word so overused in the United States that it has essentially been rendered meaningless.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/04/21 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems to me that Matt Mitchell was very forthcoming about his decision last season. Suffering a brain injury and having surgery in June, staying in touch with the program through his healing, and then broaching the subject with both his replacement and his boss about him possibly stepping down. In the end he made the decision to leave because he understood the new season was starting and he stayed away to allow the program without a big shadow. It is never optimum to have a coach step down just before the start of the season but it seems to me Mitchell acted appropriately.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: