RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 04/21/21 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If this had just happened a little earlier, he might have been able to get his job with the Sun back. (Unless there were hard feeling or whatever.)

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/21/21 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Sienko out as GM

https://apnews.com/article/archive-renee-montgomery-622aecfa77e4649b3c1569896b039342

One of the first things Sienko did as the Dream's GM, was to sign Renee Montgomery as a free agent. My hunch is that Sienko never expected Renee to fire him.

PostPosted: 04/21/21 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://dream.wnba.com/staff-directory/

According to this - Suzanne Abair (the third owner) is Team President, Renee is Vice President. Abair works for Northland Trust so it is unclear if she is going to be running the Dream as full time job or not. Not clear what Renee will be doing, but she is not listed as GM (yet) at least.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/21/21 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
pilight wrote:
Sienko out as GM

https://apnews.com/article/archive-renee-montgomery-622aecfa77e4649b3c1569896b039342

One of the first things Sienko did as the Dream's GM, was to sign Renee Montgomery as a free agent. My hunch is that Sienko never expected Renee to fire him.

Collen definitely did the heavy lifting. I suspect she always has.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Queenie

PostPosted: 04/21/21 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sienko's job seemed to mostly be making penny-pinching decisions that would infuriate people. He will not be missed. Again.

(now with spelling variations)
dreamfan11

PostPosted: 04/23/21 6:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is amazing the comments people make without ANY knowledge of the situation - "penny pinching" decisions come from ownership (and what do you mean anyway - did you see the budget?); managing the storm of the previous owner while trying to sell the team - is that a factor? New owners always want new people - most of us have never been in pro sports and therefore, are just full of opinions - just like me. Renee is a 30 something former player - no business experience. The new owner lives in California, and the president, lives in MASS - both are caucasian, Renee is the only person of color, lives in ATL in a predominantly minority-is-the-majority, market. The other two owners, have zero sports experience. Renee, it has been suggested "owns" 1% as does the Susan person. The main owner is really the only owner. This is not "what have you done for me lately" - this is "we want our own people in place". No ownership allows a draft pick - with so few teams and players, to happen unless approved. More hopefully comes out, not that it matters. The coach seems like she has it all - smarts, ability and new owners that will hopefully spend on the team. I think the new owners showed they are not sports people - you don't get rid of the person running the day to day 4 days before the season starts - it creates turmoil in the ranks and with everything that goes with it. Honestly, it's stupid. But what do I know. I have watched women's basketball for 30 years. Been a fan of the W before it even came to NY. People on these forums throw stones - reminds me of the old Peyton Manning commercials where he would heckle people going to their "Ordinary jobs". Sometimes there is no storyline. You have no idea if he was liked or not liked. You have an opinion from a far. He made really good offseason moves - Hawkins, Parker, Tiffany comes back, Sims is on roster and now McDOnald - this is a playoff team and when they win, it will be forgotten he had anything to do with it.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 04/23/21 6:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dreamfan11 wrote:
most of us have never been in pro sports and therefore, are just full of opinions

Exactly. It's opinion and speculation. We all understand that. Relax. No one here is taking the speculation as cold hard truth. It's part of the fun of being on a board. To guess and speculate.

hoopmom

PostPosted: 04/23/21 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happy to hear all the chatter from fellow Dream fans! I can't wait to see them this year.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/23/21 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given that Connecticut also made pennywise and pound-foolish decisions when Sienko was there, I think a good amount of that came from him. Either that or two different ownership groups made similar decisions while he was there and did not make those decisions when he wasn't.

(now with spelling variations)
dreamfan11

PostPosted: 04/24/21 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seem to be an expert on Sienko - what are your examples?

lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/hoopfeed/status/1389352543902257152?s=21

Quote:
Baylor announced that former Atlanta Dream Head Coach Nicki Collen would be named the "fifth Head Coach in Baylor women’s basketball history. Collen will be formally introduced Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. at the Ferrell Center." #ncaaw #wnba 

adamj95

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Woah. I didn’t expect that one. I was thinking it would be the GCU coach.

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Getting Zierdened seems about right. These new owners must be very difficult to get along with.

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People may focus on the "what a shame a top college job is seen a step up from a pro job" angle, but after the last couple of years I think Collen was getting fired if the Dream weren't pretty good this season. So it may have been smart of her to jump before she was potentially pushed.

Although I'm sure it also comes with a hefty pay increase.

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah Atl's on fire. Yes, the Dream has been has been a down trend since Angel left - something still stinks in the neighborhood. She's getting out while she can

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ll be interested in who they get. Do they just promote an interim from their assistant ranks or go elsewhere. Especially since they are in training camp still.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
I’ll be interested in who they get. Do they just promote an interim from their assistant ranks or go elsewhere. Especially since they are in training camp still.

I doubt either assistant follows her to Baylor. I'd guess Petersen is slightly more likely than Taylor to be the interim coach.

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

this. I'm guessing it's HUGE.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

this. I'm guessing it's HUGE.

Mulkey was on over $2m a year at Baylor. No way in hell Collen was even in that ballpark in Atlanta, so yeah, it'll be huge.

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

I doubt either assistant follows her to Baylor. I'd guess Petersen is slightly more likely than Taylor to be the interim coach.

Brian Agler on Line 3 lmao

dreamfan11

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Richyyy"]People may focus on the "what a shame a top college job is seen a step up from a pro job" angle, but after the last couple of years I think Collen was getting fired if the Dream weren't pretty good this season. So it may have been smart of her to jump before she was potentially pushed.

Although I'm sure it also comes with a hefty pay increase.[/quote]

Always negative - do you know Collen contract status? Maybe, the new owners suck so bad, it was time to get out.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would think Darius Taylor would have an inside track to the HC position.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Good for her, honestly. I'm honestly stunned she was under any consideration. Of Baylor wanted to pluck from the W, I wonder if they made a play for someone like Reeve.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
pilight wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

So that he can get himself accused (exposed?) of having a relationship with one of his players again? 😬 He had a good run in the W, but imo he ought to be out of the League for good.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
pilight wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

So that he can get himself accused (exposed?) of having a relationship with one of his players again? 😬 He had a good run in the W, but imo he ought to be out of the League for good.

It didn’t get him out of Dallas. But I also jest, I don’t see him coming back.

What’s Pokey up to these days?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 12 of 23

Jump to: