RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/30/21 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

where is Chatman these days?

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/30/21 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue Fort Wayne hires their staff. https://gomastodons.com/news/2021/4/30/maria-marchesano-announces-womens-basketball-coaching-staff.aspx

Is Friday the day for hires? Look back at p. 22 for a couple more from today.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/30/21 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon hires 1 assistant coach but they still have another vacancy they have yet to announce.

https://goducks.com/news/2021/4/30/womens-basketball-jackie-nared-hairston-returns-to-oregon-as-assistant-coach.aspx

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/30/21 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New DOBO at Murray St
https://goracers.com/news/2021/4/30/womens-basketball-wyatt-foust-joins-msu-womens-basketball.aspx

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/30/21 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joni Taylor tweeted that Baylor called her and she "had no interest".

PostPosted: 04/30/21 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Good for her. I kind of thought that would be the case though.

PostPosted: 04/30/21 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NC Central AC Jason Harris is now AC for Austin Peay MBB

https://twitter.com/ZKRedhead/status/1388244545423486976

Howee

PostPosted: 04/30/21 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Hey. She's got a good thing going in GA.

PostPosted: 04/30/21 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So much for USC wanting to hire a winner. They actively courted Lindsay Gottlieb. Two other candidates remain. Maybe one of them is Jody Wynn and the other may be Kathy Olivier.

https://twitter.com/theballoutmedia/status/1388214073633001476

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/30/21 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas hires Calamity McEntire

https://texassports.com/news/2021/4/30/womens-basketball-womens-basketball-adds-calamity-mcentire-to-coaching-staff.aspx

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/30/21 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal fills their assistant vacancy.

https://calbears.com/news/2021/4/30/womens-basketball-paul-reed-joins-womens-basketball-staff.aspx

pilight

PostPosted: 04/30/21 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paul Reed joins staff at Cal

https://calbears.com/news/2021/4/30/womens-basketball-paul-reed-joins-womens-basketball-staff.aspx

PostPosted: 05/01/21 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those of us on this site we just assume everyone knows Baylor and Mulkey...most Americans have NO idea who she is or what she brought to Baylor, let alone her won/loss record.

RG III actually was the sport athlete who brought Baylor in to the fore- front of the American lexicon. When he played football at Baylor, he bright POSITIVE national attention to their athletic department NOT Mulkey. Wining the 2012 Heisman put Baylor on the national map...

Baylor women became known because the freshman who really lead them to their first national championship (I think her first name was Emily) left after that...and in interviews, she said she left because she was gay and that Mulkey frowned upon that behavior, plus it is against Baylor code of conduct that all students have to live up to...
Yes, Baylor got other negative PR (sexual assaults and the Men's Basketball program) but Women's Basketball got more PR due her first National Championship win in 2012 when RG III played there.

Even with Brittney G attending there (2009- 2013, most on campus (my nephew included who gave campus tours to the athletes looking to attend Baylor - yes, he gave RG III his tour) had no interest nor was their much PR in Waco, for the women's basketball program at that time...

Once RG III played at Baylor, then the athletic department moved forward in profits etc...it was NOT because of Women's Basketball.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 05/01/21 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
Baylor women became known because the freshman who really lead them to their first national championship (I think her first name was Emily) left after that...and in interviews, she said she left because she was gay and that Mulkey frowned upon that behavior, plus it is against Baylor code of conduct that all students have to live up to...

Emily Niemann was a SO on the National Championship team. She was the 3rd best player on that team, with no statistical argument that could put her above Sophia Young or Stephanie Blackmon(and could arguably be placed 4th behind Whitaker)

Even in the tournament run, until the Final Four: you could easily say Young, Blackmon, and potentially Whitaker and their Center(name escapes me), had a bigger impact on their title run.

She did has a strong showing in the Final Four and Chammpionship game, solely because defenses chose to try to shutdown Young and Blackmon(still did not slow Young down much). Even with that, I find it hard to see any statistical proof, or memories of that run, to suggest anyone but Young being the best and most impactful player on that title team.

PostPosted: 05/01/21 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Kim Barnes Arico having to replace her entire coaching staff, could that mean that KBA to Baylor becomes a real possibility? Do we think she would leave what she has going at Michigan? Who could she hire as assistant coaches?

Howee

PostPosted: 05/01/21 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome to Reb's, eibln! Cool

eibln wrote:
With Kim Barnes Arico having to replace her entire coaching staff, could that mean that KBA to Baylor becomes a real possibility? Do we think she would leave what she has going at Michigan? Who could she hire as assistant coaches?

My strongest notions about her tell me she'd never consider such a thing; someone like Queenie, who admired her as a coach during her tenure at St. John University, might give better insights to you than I can.

PostPosted: 05/02/21 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:

I wondered the same thing but I still don't think KBA goes to Baylor (but never say never). We'll see soon enough. Heather Oesterle, currently the head coach at CMU, would be a great candidate for head coach if KBA leaves. Actually, if KBA were older and closer to retirement it might work to have Oesterle come in as an assistant coach/head coach in waiting. I know those don't necessarily work out but it'd be interesting to consider. Try to lure Suzy Merchant from MSU? As far as assistants, I have no idea. The only thing that makes me think there could be something to the Baylor thing is KBA hadn't hired any assistants to replace Wilson and Brooks and then a few days ago Sanchez left. That could all be coincidence or maybe holding off is part of a negotiation strategy but, like I said, we'll see soon enough.

Last edited by PG4ever on 05/02/21 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/02/21 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe this is me just wanting KBA to stay at MI, but I have three reasons, in addition to the obvious "it's Baylor," why she would/should stay at MI

I don't think that I would want to start a new job like Baylor with three new assistants.

If "I" was the Baylor AD, I wouldn't want to bring in a head coach that has just replaced her three assistants. I would hope that she would be able to bring a couple of people she is familiar with working with along to assist in the transition.

If *I* was an assistant for KBA and thought that I could possibly be following her to Baylor, I think I'd stay for another year (except for the obvious "it's Baylor" or winter in AZ was more appealing than winter in AA. Wink )

I'm not as familiar with KBA as Queenie and some others on here might be, but I think I like her and would really like to see her stay at MI.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PG4ever

PostPosted: 05/02/21 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Maybe this is me just wanting KBA to stay at MI, but I have three reasons, in addition to the obvious "it's Baylor," why she would/should stay at MI

I don't think that I would want to start a new job like Baylor with three new assistants.

If "I" was the Baylor AD, I wouldn't want to bring in a head coach that has just replaced her three assistants. I would hope that she would be able to bring a couple of people she is familiar with working with along to assist in the transition.

If *I* was an assistant for KBA and thought that I could possibly be following her to Baylor, I think I'd stay for another year (except for the obvious "it's Baylor" or winter in AZ was more appealing than winter in AA. Wink )

I'm not as familiar with KBA as Queenie and some others on here might be, but I think I like her and would really like to see her stay at MI.

Yeah, I too want KBA (and Juwan Howard) to stay here in AA for a long time. If it was UConn or a big WBB school back East that opened up, I could see it but (except that money talks) I'd be surprised if KBA would be interested in Baylor.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/02/21 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big shoes to fill.

eibln

PostPosted: 05/03/21 3:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
eibln wrote:

I wondered the same thing but I still don't think KBA goes to Baylor (but never say never). We'll see soon enough. Heather Oesterle, currently the head coach at CMU, would be a great candidate for head coach if KBA leaves. Actually, if KBA were older and closer to retirement it might work to have Oesterle come in as an assistant coach/head coach in waiting. I know those don't necessarily work out but it'd be interesting to consider. Try to lure Suzy Merchant from MSU? As far as assistants, I have no idea. The only thing that makes me think there could be something to the Baylor thing is KBA hadn't hired any assistants to replace Wilson and Brooks and then a few days ago Sanchez left. That could all be coincidence or maybe holding off is part of a negotiation strategy but, like I said, we'll see soon enough.

If KBA were to leave Michigan, and that’s a big if, I’m not sure I am sold on Heather Osterle to replace her. Osterle, yes, helped build Central Michigan but has only been a head coach for two years. I think there are some others to watch. Robyn Fralick at Bowling Green would be interesting to float around as a replacement. Fralick is building Bowling Green from the ground up. This year was her first winning season with the Falcons with a very young team. Going into her fourth season at BG, they are in great position to repeat as MAC Champions. Fralick is building a solid program, she should be looking at a power six job in the near future. She is from Okemos, Michigan, very close to MSU’s campus. Food for thought if KBA leaves Michigan or Suzy Merchant leaves MSU. Other possible candidates at Michigan might include Megan Duffy at Marquette, who’s name has also been mentioned for the Baylor job.

eibln

PostPosted: 05/03/21 3:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
eibln wrote:

If KBA were to leave Michigan, and that’s a big if, I’m not sure I am sold on Heather Osterle to replace her. Osterle, yes, helped build Central Michigan but has only been a head coach for two years. I think there are some others to watch. Robyn Fralick at Bowling Green would be interesting to float around as a replacement. Fralick is building Bowling Green from the ground up. This year was her first winning season with the Falcons with a very young team. Going into her fourth season at BG, they are in great position to repeat as MAC Champions. Fralick is building a solid program, she should be looking at a power six job in the near future. She is from Okemos, Michigan, very close to MSU’s campus. Food for thought if KBA leaves Michigan or Suzy Merchant leaves MSU. Other possible candidates at Michigan might include Megan Duffy at Marquette, who’s name has also been mentioned for the Baylor job.

ucbart

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:

I can't even fathom KBA, being from Suffolk County, moving to Waco, Texas. IMO, Texas teams needs Texas coaches with strong ties to Texas HS basketball or a BIG name hire like Geno, Tara, Kelly Graves, Muffet, etc....

But, maybe I'm totally wrong.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 05/03/21 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former Wagner coach, Heather Jacobs, is now UMass Boston HC (D3)

https://www.beaconsathletics.com/news/2021/5/3/womens-basketball-heather-jacobs-named-head-womens-basketball-coach-at-umass-boston.aspx

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/03/21 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike Moser from Dallas Mavericks staff is new assistant at Oregon.

https://goducks.com/news/2021/5/3/former-duck-mike-moser-joins-womens-basketball-coaching-staff.aspx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 23 of 49

Jump to: