RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

LSU 2021-2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 05/01/21 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Kim apparently tried to get Kate Fagen fired for writing that BG told her they Kim told her to hide her sexuality while at Baylor.

https://www.insider.com/kim-mulkey-tried-fire-reporter-brittney-griner-hide-sexuality-baylor-2021-4

As if you needed another reason to dislike Kim! Rolling Eyes

A NYT sportswriter and a WCBB blogger both told me back then that Kim Mulkey tried to keep Brittney Griner from self-destructing. BG chose to attend Baptist Baylor, as did some other lesbian Lady Bears, but she never seemed to understand that a little discretion goes a long way.

An early example was that punch https://hoopism.blogspot.com/2010/03/mulkeys-motherly-approach-to-griner-is.html

PG4ever

PostPosted: 05/01/21 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
It must take guts to leave a program she built from the ground up.

That alone makes me want to root for her success and express great admiration for Kim.

Not saying it didn't take guts to leave but I think with football and men's basketball doing well now, Mulkey didn't have the clout in the athletic's dept. that she once had. And then there's Rhoads. Whoever gave the ultimatum--her or Rhoades--she wasn't going to win. She says it was about relationships and I believe that but I think it was relationships and ego.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/01/21 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Kim apparently tried to get Kate Fagen fired for writing that BG told her they Kim told her to hide her sexuality while at Baylor.

https://www.insider.com/kim-mulkey-tried-fire-reporter-brittney-griner-hide-sexuality-baylor-2021-4

A NYT sportswriter and a WCBB blogger both told me back then that Kim Mulkey tried to keep Brittney Griner from self-destructing. BG chose to attend Baptist Baylor, as did some other lesbian Lady Bears, but she never seemed to understand that a little discretion goes a long way.

An early example was that punch https://hoopism.blogspot.com/2010/03/mulkeys-motherly-approach-to-griner-is.html

Both interesting perspectives on an iconic figure -- I never knew about the Fagan fallout. And I did know about Kim's corrective strategies with Brittney. I also think that, while Kim may be spot-on about helping kids correct their *mess-ups*, she's also one that needs to learn, for herself, that *mess-ups* happen to even 50-somethings with unchecked egos, and that being outspoken and shooting from the hip are not always becoming to iconic coaches.

PostPosted: 05/02/21 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

I tried listening to the podcast associated with this article and found it hard to listen to as it involved 4 people talking and two of which were cracking jokes. From the podcast, I don’t believe for an instant that Kate felt she would lose her job because Mulkey was pissed off about the Griner article. But there was a lot of talk about women’s basketball following the men’s basketball model of throwing money at coaches. If that money is available , Kate argues, why not make it available for the student experience.

There is an interesting comment from the article link about Kim and Waco and how things that Kim could say in the community of Waco didn’t often translate well when through press conferences or post game comments she shared Her perspectives with the rest of the world.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/02/21 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Am I wrong or does adding Gusters put them at 19 scholarship players? I wonder how she'll handle that if all 19 players want to play for her. Gotta cut it down somehow.

PostPosted: 05/02/21 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Am I wrong or does adding Gusters put them at 19 scholarship players? I wonder how she'll handle that if all 19 players want to play for her. Gotta cut it down somehow.

Raoul just updated the LSU scholarship chart on his site. https://wbbblog.com/lsu-womens-basketball-recruiting/

He has them with 17 including Gusters. I doubt she goes to war with all 17 and I would also be surprised if she doesn’t bring in some other players through the Transfer portal. Expect a whole Lotta Shakin to go on.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 05/02/21 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mulkey was hired late. Yesterday (May 1) was the deadline for winter/fall student athletes to enter the transfer portal. Fargas signed six '21 recruits but if Mulkey didn't want them and they didn't enter the portal by yesterday, I feel bad for them. I hope Mulkey was communicating with the '21 recruits to let them know where they stood with her.

LitePal

PostPosted: 05/02/21 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought the deadline was extended to July 1.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 05/02/21 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:

I thought this too.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 05/02/21 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
LitePal wrote:

I thought this too.

Oh, my bad. You're both right. Good to know the NCAA extended it this year.

icey23

PostPosted: 05/03/21 3:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Out of the 6 players Nikki signed only 2 was recruited by other power 5 schools smh. Nikki always seemed to fail at recruiting.

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
Out of the 6 players Nikki signed only 2 was recruited by other power 5 schools smh. Nikki always seemed to fail at recruiting.

Yup-LSU kept her for way too long.

icey23

PostPosted: 05/07/21 3:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tamia Ugass has de committed from LSU and signed with UMKC. LSU now has 2 scholarships available

PostPosted: 05/07/21 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
Tamia Ugass has de committed from LSU and signed with UMKC. LSU now has 2 scholarships available

I had to read the name twice , i just knew you were referring to Tamia's facial appearance Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 05/07/21 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, it seems as though none of the 5th-year Covid returners count against the 15-scholarship cap.

Raoul has them listed as "Extra"

https://wbbblog.com/lsu-womens-basketball-recruiting/

PostPosted: 05/07/21 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
So, it seems as though none of the 5th-year Covid returners count against the 15-scholarship cap.

Seems like that will make for an extra-long bench in a lot of places!

PostPosted: 05/07/21 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

This is correct. Any of the seniors that are using the extra year do not count against the 15.

If a junior (in 2020-21) decides to use their extra year, they will count toward 15 in 2022-23 #s.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/20/21 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU podcast Conducted by former LSU athletes

*It sounds like everybody but one coach and the strength and conditioning coach are leaving Baylor for LSU. Nikki has kept the strength and conditioning coach on and that other coach is that to be Bill Brock
*Kim is still in Waco until July. Sounds like Messer will be following her to Red Stick.

https://youtu.be/UifcGqTkDlQ

icey23

PostPosted: 05/20/21 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two LSU WBB players have entered their names into the portal:
—Domonique Davis, 5-6 SO point guard, DeRidder, LA
—Destini Lombard, 5-9 FR guard, New Iberia, LA

PostPosted: 05/20/21 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

*It sounds like everybody but one coach and the strength and conditioning coach are leaving Baylor for LSU. Nikki has kept the strength and conditioning coach on and that other coach is that to be Bill Brock
*Kim is still in Waco until July. Sounds like Messer will be following her to Red Stick.

How is that Nikki's decision -- what am I missing? Shocked

PostPosted: 05/20/21 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

At a lot of Power 5 schools, the WBB has a strength and conditioning coach that works solely with WBB. So that hire is very much up to the head coach, just like an assistant, or DOBO, or video person would be.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/20/21 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

https://youtu.be/UifcGqTkDlQ

I believe the "Nikki" NoDakSt is referring to is actually Nicki Collen, judging by the interview posted above at a little before the 5-minute mark. Nothing to do with Nikki Fargas.

Tally24

PostPosted: 09/29/21 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU is having an open practice today, and I am going to have to miss it because I have to teach a comp class until 3:30 and I don't think my students would be up for a field trip. Rolling Eyes
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/29/21 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Get them started on an assignment and duck out...just for a bit Laughing

Tally24

PostPosted: 09/29/21 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Get them started on an assignment and duck out...just for a bit Laughing

I might have an emergency dentist appointment... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: