RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Baylor coach called for Technical, team leaves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/16/21 1:56 am    ::: Baylor coach called for Technical, team leaves Reply Reply with quote

No it wasn't good ol' Kim. From Indiana High School Girls Basketball:

Watch Video:

https://twitter.com/YoungMantis2/status/1381751670376398852?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1381751670376398852%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fsports%2Fhighschool%2F2021%2F04%2F15%2Faau-basketball-game-ends-brawl-involving-ref-spectator%2F7246993002%2F

If you want to read about it, here is the story:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/brawl-erupts-at-travel-girls-basketball-game-in-westfield-ends-in-ref-being-body-slammed/ar-BB1fHwZ5?ocid=msedgdhp

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/16/21 9:28 am    ::: Re: Baylor coach called for Technical, team leaves Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
No it wasn't good ol' Kim. From Indiana High School Girls Basketball:

Watch Video:

https://twitter.com/YoungMantis2/status/1381751670376398852?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1381751670376398852%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fsports%2Fhighschool%2F2021%2F04%2F15%2Faau-basketball-game-ends-brawl-involving-ref-spectator%2F7246993002%2F

If you want to read about it, here is the story:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/brawl-erupts-at-travel-girls-basketball-game-in-westfield-ends-in-ref-being-body-slammed/ar-BB1fHwZ5?ocid=msedgdhp

This kind of incident, and the general combative atmosphere in club basketball -- yelling at refs, etc. -- is one reason more girls are turning to volleyball and soccer.

It's sad ...

PostPosted: 04/16/21 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did not expect the ref to have thrown the first punch. That's on him, IMO. Clearly the parent was out of line, too, but you shouldn't be officiating if you're gonna become violent when a spectator yells at you.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/16/21 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The ref should not have thrown the first one. That was definitely out of order.

PostPosted: 04/16/21 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I understand the ref shouldn't have thrown the first punch, but seriously, if you go to these events you know what some of these parents think they can get away with and say. Those refs aren't getting much to do these games (like $20 or $25 depending on the event). I'm not exonerating him, but when people pay money to enter an event like this, they feel they have free rein to say and do whatever the hell they want. I love how everyone else piles in and starts kicking and beating on the ref. How about you pull people apart?

This type of behavior is unfortunately occurring more and more across all youth sports. Parents are out of control and just need to shut the f*ck up. Yeah, that might be harsh but as someone that has helped to run hundreds of these events, it is sickening the crap and obscenities that people feel is ok to throw around. Clearly this guy was saying some rude stuff into his phone to cause this ref to lose his cool.

Anyway, it is ridiculous from all angles.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/16/21 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I understand the ref shouldn't have thrown the first punch, but seriously, if you go to these events you know what some of these parents think they can get away with and say. Those refs aren't getting much to do these games (like $20 or $25 depending on the event). I'm not exonerating him, but when people pay money to enter an event like this, they feel they have free rein to say and do whatever the hell they want. I love how everyone else piles in and starts kicking and beating on the ref. How about you pull people apart?

This type of behavior is unfortunately occurring more and more across all youth sports. Parents are out of control and just need to shut the f*ck up. Yeah, that might be harsh but as someone that has helped to run hundreds of these events, it is sickening the crap and obscenities that people feel is ok to throw around. Clearly this guy was saying some rude stuff into his phone to cause this ref to lose his cool.

Oh totally. My criticism of the ref was not at all meant to excuse the parents' verbiage.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/16/21 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Oh totally. My criticism of the ref was not at all meant to excuse the parents' verbiage.

My comment wasn't directed at you, but I could see where you would think that. It is just in general about this video and type of thing. It's revolting on so many levels.

Last edited by purduefanatic on 04/16/21 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/16/21 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The ref didn't "throw the first punch", he attempted to knock the guys phone out of his hands - unsecessfully - as he was recording and harraassing him. No, it wasn't right, but it was a reaction.

The actions of the adults on the other side leading up to his reaction are really deplorable. The guy in neon CLEARLY threw the first real punch and should be charged with assault, IMO. This is not what sports are supposed to be about.

PostPosted: 04/16/21 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
The ref didn't "throw the first punch", he attempted to knock the guys phone out of his hands - unsecessfully - as he was recording and harraassing him. No, it wasn't right, but it was a reaction.

The actions of the adults on the other side leading up to his reaction are really deplorable. The guy in neon CLEARLY threw the first real punch and should be charged with assault, IMO. This is not what sports are supposed to be about.

Different eyes see different things.

PostPosted: 04/16/21 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Hm, I hadn't noticed this at first but I see what you mean.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/16/21 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me the original sin is the coach pulling the team off the court. They are getting beat, they may have gotten some bad calls, but you don't quit. Having said that, each subsequent escalation seems completely uncalled for, but the body slam was impressive.

willtalk

PostPosted: 04/18/21 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes the ref was clearly targeting the cell phone and not attempting to hit the guy. It appears that the guy in neon was baiting the ref to illicit some sort of reaction to justify what eventually happened.

PostPosted: 04/23/21 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
This type of behavior is unfortunately occurring more and more across all youth sports.

It's been present as long as I can remember, but hopefully it's a more isolated thing, out of the norm. I'd agree, the coach started with the wrong move in walking off. But then, if I'd been the ref, I'd have just walked out too.

Add one Covid-fraught year + one Orange Turd who 'normalized' smack talk from the highest office in the land = self-restraints/decorum/sensibility gone M.I.A.

PostPosted: 04/26/21 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
one Orange Turd who 'normalized' smack talk from the highest office in the land

Why? Seriously, why do politics need to creep into so many threads?

And honestly, your very first comment said that actions like this have been going on ever since you can remember (clearly longer than 4 years) yet you would like to blame the former president for this fan's actions?

You're better than this.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/26/21 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Howee wrote:

And honestly, your very first comment said that actions like this have been going on ever since you can remember (clearly longer than 4 years) yet you would like to blame the former president for this fan's actions?

You're better than this.

Yet....you DON'T decry the "Covid Factor" I point out as contributing to this climate amongst folks....? I was portraying the combination of factors that have exacerbated this kind of phenomenon where people are showing less constraint and behaving irrationally. And yes, HE plays a role in it all, by radically lowering the standard of public discourse.

Am I 'better than that'? (which "Howee" are you thinking of??) Razz

PostPosted: 04/26/21 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Howee wrote:

You're better than this.

Yet....you DON'T decry the "Covid Factor" I point out as contributing to this climate amongst folks....? I was portraying the combination of factors that have exacerbated this kind of phenomenon where people are showing less constraint and behaving irrationally. And yes, HE plays a role in it all, by radically lowering the standard of public discourse.

Am I 'better than that'? (which "Howee" are you thinking of??) Razz

Nope, didn't decry covid at all. Just funny how far people go to blame things on the former president, even if they are things that have been going on for decades. I would just like it if politics didn't have to be in every thread. I don't like politics and am so tired of all the BS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: