RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

George Floyd
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 04/20/21 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Definitely in agreement with these verdicts. Never before heard of “unintentional murder” but if that was what was deemed necessary to help ensure this outcome then good job with the wording of the charges. This really bad cop’s actions killed many more people than just George Floyd so society should be finished with him and he should sit in jail for the rest of his life.

A lot of the time it's just referred to as ”felony murder".

If the state can prove that someone caused the death of another person during the intentional commission of another felony (excluding sexual assault in the first or second degree), but did not intend to bring about their death, then they are guilty of second degree murder.

If the person intentionally killed another during the commission of a felony (or the felony in question is first or second degree sexual assault), then they are guilty of "felony murder" in the first degree.

Basically that it happens during the commission of another felony serves to up the charge a level. So unintentionally killing someone ceases to be manslaughter and becomes Murder 2, and intentional homicide (but not premeditated) becomes Murder 1, as if it were premeditated.

In this case the prosecution argued that Chauvin intentionally committed the felony of assault against Floyd during which his actions caused Floyd's death. The jury obviously overwhelmingly agreed, as evidenced by the short deliberation.

PostPosted: 04/20/21 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Saw this making the rounds on twitter: the police department's original statement.

Think of all the statements just like this that have slipped into history unquestioned and unnoticed. That sterile, formulaic language meant to cover up any possibility of negligence is so chilling.

I heard someone on PBS newshour make the claim that the young lady whose graphic phone video portrayed the reality of it all should be awarded a Pulitzer for her effort. And it's true: without "real" footage, how else might this death have ever seen justice?

PostPosted: 04/20/21 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now on that I agree with you, Howee.

Probably going to leave it right there for the rest of the day. Cool

PostPosted: 04/21/21 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Department of Justice opens up investigation into the practices of the Minneapolis Police Department.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 04/21/21 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nancy Pelosi wrote:
Thank you, George Floyd, for sacrificing your life for justice

Shocked

Leaving aside that sacrifice means voluntarily giving something, it boggles the mind that the Speaker (and her staff) decided thanking somebody for being murdered was an appropriate response

PostPosted: 06/12/21 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Darnella Frazier wins honorary Pulitzer

https://19thnews.org/2021/06/darnella-frazier-teen-filmed-george-floyds-murder-wins-honorary-pulitzer

Quote:
“Even though this was a traumatic life-changing experience for me, I’m proud of myself,” Frazier wrote in an Instagram post on the one-year anniversary of Floyd’s murder. “If it weren’t for my video, the world wouldn’t have known the truth.”

PostPosted: 06/13/21 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And on another side to the Floyd saga...

https://thesource.com/2021/06/13/dakota-skye-dies-weeks-after-posing-topless-in-front-of-george-floyd-mural/

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Shades

PostPosted: 06/25/21 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Victim impact statements being read at the moment.
Sentencing due today.

Last edited by Shades on 06/25/21 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 06/25/21 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

22.5 years

That’s all I got for now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: