RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA Draft 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/16/21 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
She would have been a Sr this year had she stayed and would have made a big difference.

What she actually did this winter was score 3.9 ppg on terrible shooting for Basket Zaragoza

PostPosted: 04/16/21 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Did Dungee seriously lose 30 pounds? I had no idea. Also Holly: of all the things to ask about....why???
'

Why not? It's a more legit topic than spending time chatting up Collier about her wardrobe, imo.

Who's game doesn't improve with a concerted effort to get into great condition? Dungee's game certainly did. When she went off in the SEC tournament as a soph she was chunky. Now she's quicker. Improved speed/quickness is always a good thing in basketball.

Treat em like the guys/don't talk about their looks/appearance/have Holly Rowe talk fashion, attire, looks with the overall #1/ but Holly don't ask Dungee how she improved her game by losing weight.

The entire draft presentation is a fashion show done to show how attractive these young women are, isn't it? Shocked

I agree that I don't want to hear about their wardrobes either. Like, it's a fine topic to explore at another time if the player is interested in that, but not in the 60 seconds of live interview you get right after being drafted.

I can't remember who but there was another player who got interviewed that Holly said something like "you had to focus on nutrition" heading into her senior year and I thought it sounded ridiculous.

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/16/21 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to Reeve's presser last night they had a trade in place going into the night (she said it wasn't a trade down, but didn't give the details--my guess is it was a trade out of the pick probably for a pick next year), but that as soon as the chaos began and players started dropping, that trade went out the window.

When they drafted she said two of the top players on their board were still available. She said they didn't even interview or really consider Davis much since they thought there was no chance she would be around at 9. She was the second overall player on the Lynx draft board.

Going into the season, she said their main concern from last year was improving defense and rebounding during the off-season. Davis checks both of those boxes.

I still can't believe Davis was there for them.

PostPosted: 04/16/21 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis was a good rebounder at the college level. I’m not sure how that translates to the WNBA level. Wait until Reeve gets her into camp and sees how skinny she is.... even skinnier than Herbert Harrigan. Hopefully she has Bonner level wirey strength and Bonner’s motor. I think often times Davis motor was on idle.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
blaase22

PostPosted: 04/16/21 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis is a player that probably would have looked better if she went to a different school. No offense lady vol nation.

Cooper2009

PostPosted: 04/16/21 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m a TN fan by blood but a Davis fan because of her heart. She’s so genuine and a quiet assassin. I think some teams whiffed bu not picking her and if given the opportunity(as I’m sure she will) she will make them pay for it.

I know people say she coasts but IMO she’s just a smooth athlete. She glides and I don’t necessarily see that as coasting. Her jumpers and all are very graceful.

I do agree that at a different school she’d be viewed differently.

PostPosted: 04/16/21 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper2009 wrote:
I’m a TN fan by blood but a Davis fan because of her heart. She’s so genuine and a quiet assassin. I think some teams whiffed bu not picking her and if given the opportunity(as I’m sure she will) she will make them pay for it.

I know people say she coasts but IMO she’s just a smooth athlete. She glides and I don’t necessarily see that as coasting. Her jumpers and all are very graceful.

I do agree that at a different school she’d be viewed differently.

Dev Peters and Imani McGee-Stafford had a great back and forth on Twitter. They concluded that playing under Reeve was huge for her, that as long as she's willing to be coached, Reeve will shape her into a star. Felt it was a perfect match.

PostPosted: 04/16/21 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

when and who is she taking time from... collier / dantas / powers / shepard / carleton

blaase22

PostPosted: 04/16/21 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
when and who is she taking time from... collier / dantas / powers / shepard / carleton

The last two.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/17/21 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
According to Reeve's presser last night they had a trade in place going into the night (she said it wasn't a trade down, but didn't give the details--my guess is it was a trade out of the pick probably for a pick next year), but that as soon as the chaos began and players started dropping, that trade went out the window.

When they drafted she said two of the top players on their board were still available. She said they didn't even interview or really consider Davis much since they thought there was no chance she would be around at 9. She was the second overall player on the Lynx draft board.

Going into the season, she said their main concern from last year was improving defense and rebounding during the off-season. Davis checks both of those boxes.

I still can't believe Davis was there for them.

Seriously? Davis doesn't play defense, and hates contact. On offense, she was absolutely one of the top players in the draft. She put up great rebounding numbers because she didn't play defense and so had lots of time to position herself for a rebound. Somehow I don't think Reeve is the one to light a fire under her on the defensive end of the court but time will tell.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/18/21 1:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
I just realized Tiana Mangakahia didn't get drafted, and I am kind of devistated for her. Aina Ayuso? Damn.

Mangakahia is the best passer in Syracuse history in only 3 seasons. Ayuso averaged 2 points in 8 minutes in her one yera at Oregon and I haven't seen her name since.

What the actual fuck just happened with this draft? Was the large hadron collider running? That shit was alternate-reality. Tamika Cathings was a great player but ... what?!?!?

Ayuso as a freshman at Oregon, sat behind Soph Sabrina and Jr. Mataite Cazorla and got very little playing time. She was one of many who left the team for that reason. Kelly made a Grave mistake not given her more time and she went back to Spain. She was said to be better than Cazorla. I said at the time that it would bite them in the rear and it ded the season after Cazorla graduated. They had no guard depth and it killed them in the NCAA's. Don't let her lack of stats fool you she was one heck of a player. Graves that year and the year after did not giver his bench much court time. She would have been a Sr this year had she stayed and would have made a big difference.

There wasn’t an NCAA tournament in 2020 (the year after Maite Cazorla) and Oregon was a top 3 team for most of the season, even reaching #1 for a time. Do you mean this season? When Oregon went through the PAC-12 Tournament and NCAA Tournament without their starting point guard? If she did stay there is no guarantee they would have gotten the same recruits so they could have been in the same situation they were this season if she got hurt and their freshman pg committed else where.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/18/21 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both Oregon point guards were hurt (Paopao and Shelley), one of whom the best player -- how many do you need?

PostPosted: 06/24/21 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Aaliyah Wilson's appearance for the Fever tonight, more than half the draftees from this year's draft have appeared. That's nine straight seasons that most of the draftees have played the year they were drafted. The last time we didn't get that was 2012, when exactly half (18/36) appeared. The only years where most draftees didn't appear as rookies were 2002 (the last year of the four round draft) and 2003 (when the league contracted by three teams). 2003 had enough show up in later seasons to push it over 50%, 2002 not so much.

PostPosted: 06/24/21 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was expecting this to be a post about how soon the Fever were going to lock up max ping-pong balls.

PostPosted: 06/25/21 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's shocking to me is that this Draft class, barring several players improving their game, will end up worse than 2017's across the board – something I genuinely didn't think would happen. At least there were two legit ROY candidates that year (Allisha Gray & Brittney Sykes), and the #1 overall pick was putting in minutes that were not-terrible (Kelsey Plum averaged 8.5 PPG in 22.9 MPG).

We're damn near halfway through this season, and not a single rookie is currently averaging double-figures in scoring. Only one rookie (Michaela Onyenwere at 23.1 MPG) is currently averaging above 15 MPG, let alone 20.

None of these players were perfect in college, and we all knew they all had weaknesses to their game, but I really thought they or somebody would be better than this. They just... they suck. Crying or Very sad

calbearman76

PostPosted: 06/25/21 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The overall quality of this draft will be determined by the development of the top two draft picks. Collier had her best game of the season tonight, albeit against the Fever. Kuier is very green but should improve over time. She just wasn't ready for this level of competition.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/03/21 3:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The overall quality of this draft will be determined by the development of the top two draft picks. Collier had her best game of the season tonight, albeit against the Fever. Kuier is very green but should improve over time. She just wasn't ready for this level of competition.

This was posted one week ago. Last night, #1 Pick Collier was a DNP-CD for the first time in her career. Her fellow teammates & Top-5 Draftees #2 Pick Kuier & #5 Pick Dungee were also healthy scratches (not that it was either's first healthy scratch). #3 Pick McDonald was a healthy scratch for Atlanta in their game last night as well.

The #4 Pick has appeared in every available game, but in very limited minutes (she has scored 4 total points the past 9 games, fwiw). The #8 and #10 Picks are out of the League. The #7 and #9 Picks are out for the year.

Needless to say, it's collectively not going well at all for these rookies here at the midway point of the season. If anything, things are looking worse for them now than ever before. Worst Draft class in the W's history – perhaps.

Last edited by Stormeo on 07/03/21 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Milks26

PostPosted: 07/03/21 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This draft class was weak when they drafted. Even the potential ROY in NY has cooled rapidly of late.

But, I do want the Wings to have their #2 & 5 pick making some kind of contribution for the 2nd half of the season. That long break should help them

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/03/21 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was just about to post the same thing ...

It would be nice to hear something from the WNBA and USA Basketball about what they're doing to improve the talent pipeline.

PostPosted: 07/03/21 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We talked for months about how this was one of the weakest classes ever. Then, right before the draft, we found out that a whole bunch of people didn't apply. That Covid extra-year-for-all proclamation pretty much sealed the fate of this draft. Not only was it unimpressive at the top, but it was also very thin all the way to the bottom.

PostPosted: 07/03/21 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
The #4 Pick has appeared in every available game, but in very limited minutes

Update: The #4 Pick Gondrezick has just endured her first DNP-CD as a pro as well. Her Fever team though won that game, only their 2nd win of the season…

All Top-5 Draft picks have now been healthy scratches the past two days. Thank goodness for the #6 Pick…

Davis4632

PostPosted: 07/04/21 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

This was posted one week ago. Last night, #1 Pick Collier was a DNP-CD for the first time in her career. Her fellow teammates & Top-5 Draftees #2 Pick Kuier & #5 Pick Dungee were also healthy scratches (not that it was either's first healthy scratch). #3 Pick McDonald was a healthy scratch for Atlanta in their game last night as well.

The #4 Pick has appeared in every available game, but in very limited minutes (she has scored 4 total points the past 9 games, fwiw). The #8 and #10 Picks are out of the League. The #7 and #9 Picks are out for the year.

Needless to say, it's collectively not going well at all for these rookies here at the midway point of the season. If anything, things are looking worse for them now than ever before. Worst Draft class in the W's history – perhaps.

The board's favorite rookie Natasha Mack currently isn't in the league and the other favorite rookie Guirantes has a couple of DNP too. The OK State fan took some flak going against the board's consensus by posting that Mack's game wasn't WNBA ready. Stanford's Kiana Williams isn't currently in the league either.

craigmont

PostPosted: 07/04/21 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whatever you think of KLS, she's a starter and a usable player, which is more than you can say for this draft class.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/04/21 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So the next question for discussion is whether the talent level of the 2021 draft class is an aberration or a trend of things to come?🤔

PostPosted: 07/04/21 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
So the next question for discussion is whether the talent level of the 2021 draft class is an aberration or a trend of things to come?🤔

Definitely an aberration, the next draft classes have bonafide stars.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: