RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2021-22 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 04/13/21 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

My guess it that Geno took Juhasz as no-cost and available backup insurance. I can't believe he promised her anything other than competitive opportunity. However, I don't think the 6-4 incoming HS All-American Amari DeBerry will feel too good about a graduate transfer now clogging her anticipated spot -- to say nothing of Aubrey Griffin and Mir McLean, who had been the forward spot subs this season.

Griffin and McLean strike me as energizer bunnies, but it's almost frantic and out of control. I think y'all can do better. Who that better is is unclear of course. jmo. And McLean was just a Freshman, so maybe will improve with time. Griffin is someone who is very athletic and looks great one minute, then makes horrible decisions the next.

If either of them could develop more offense they would be an integral part of the rotation. They are probably the best defenders on the team and maybe the two best rebounders. And what you see as frantic usually disrupts the other team a lot more than it does UConn. This coming season they will likely be role players and championship teams need role players. I love seeing Griffin come into the game because she produces numbers right away. (and most aren't fouls and to's). She brings energy just like Mühl and UConn has lacked that for several years now.

Last edited by linkster on 04/22/21 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/13/21 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Geno has been known in recent times for not having a bench. Maybe that's finally hitting home.

It’s interesting because in a recent zoom session called Undefeated (Undefeateds is a four part zoom series in which Geno hosts key members of each of his undefeated teams to reminisce and catch up what everyone’s doing now) Geno commented on how Well the 1995 team worked together and that when they took the floor they did some amazing things that they never did in practice. Which prompted Rebecca Lobo to come in it’s funny that you say that because back then when we got a decent lead you would Start subbing us out. Now you just don’t worry about that anymore no matter what the lead is. Geno just sort of shrugs like well things are different now.

Damn, Lobo didn't hold back! Surprised

NFL1

PostPosted: 04/14/21 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Geno has been known in recent times for not having a bench. Maybe that's finally hitting home.

Especially watching Stanford who went 11 deep, even with foul trouble they had weapons...

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/14/21 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NFL1 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Especially watching Stanford who went 11 deep, even with foul trouble they had weapons...

Yup. That.

PostPosted: 04/15/21 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
NFL1 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Yup. That.

If the thought here is that, suddenly, Geno suspects he made need more than 6 quality players on his roster, all I can do is smh.

Geno haters should send Lauren Cox Xmas cards every year. Had she matriculated at UConn rather than Baylor, Geno would likely have 3 more rings.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/15/21 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Roster grid after Anna Makurat departure and Dorka Juhasz arrival:

Shades

PostPosted: 04/18/21 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohio State transfer Dorka Juhász hopes playing for UConn will help her achieve WNBA dreams and make home country of Hungary proud
https://gazette.com/ap/sports/ohio-state-transfer-dorka-juh-sz-hopes-playing-for-uconn-will-help-her-achieve-wnba/article_633d1ded-d218-582c-ade7-c36611c9987b.html

Quote:
After three seasons with the Buckeyes, Juhász faced another fork in the road: graduating in three years from Ohio State, she was well-positioned to explore other basketball opportunities. After making that initial leap to move to an entirely new country, this decision was a bit easier.

“That was a basketball decision for me. I loved everything about Ohio State. I love the girls. I had no problems anywhere here,” Juhász said. “I felt like for my basketball career, I needed to take that step to enter the portal and look for an opportunity where I can just develop and make sure that I am doing everything in my power and am in a program that can prepare me for a professional life.”

Quote:
One of my biggest goals is to go to the WNBA. As a Hungarian girl, that’s something that I’m super looking forward to [after] playing at UConn and improving, if it takes me there,” Juhász said. “I’m trying to get the most out of my experience and making sure I can get better as much as I can to develop as a player here.”

Quote:
Juhász says she doesn’t have any expectations and isn’t assuming anything as far as playing time or starting goes. As a stretch four who shot 40% from the arc her sophomore year, she brings a dimension to the Huskies’ frontcourt that they haven’t had in years.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 04/19/21 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
NFL1 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Yup. That.

If the thought here is that, suddenly, Geno suspects he made need more than 6 quality players on his roster, all I can do is smh.

Geno haters should send Lauren Cox Xmas cards every year. Had she matriculated at UConn rather than Baylor, Geno would likely have 3 more rings.

And??

Had Stewart chosen Duke or Penn State, He'd have 3 fewer ones.......

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 04/19/21 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Ohio State transfer Dorka Juhász hopes playing for UConn will help her achieve WNBA dreams and make home country of Hungary proud
https://gazette.com/ap/sports/ohio-state-transfer-dorka-juh-sz-hopes-playing-for-uconn-will-help-her-achieve-wnba/article_633d1ded-d218-582c-ade7-c36611c9987b.html

Quote:
After three seasons with the Buckeyes, Juhász faced another fork in the road: graduating in three years from Ohio State, she was well-positioned to explore other basketball opportunities. After making that initial leap to move to an entirely new country, this decision was a bit easier.

“That was a basketball decision for me. I loved everything about Ohio State. I love the girls. I had no problems anywhere here,” Juhász said. “I felt like for my basketball career, I needed to take that step to enter the portal and look for an opportunity where I can just develop and make sure that I am doing everything in my power and am in a program that can prepare me for a professional life.”

Quote:
One of my biggest goals is to go to the WNBA. As a Hungarian girl, that’s something that I’m super looking forward to [after] playing at UConn and improving, if it takes me there,” Juhász said. “I’m trying to get the most out of my experience and making sure I can get better as much as I can to develop as a player here.”

Quote:
Juhász says she doesn’t have any expectations and isn’t assuming anything as far as playing time or starting goes. As a stretch four who shot 40% from the arc her sophomore year, she brings a dimension to the Huskies’ frontcourt that they haven’t had in years.

The bolded part has to be a kick to the crotch of McGuff and his staff....the idea that after 3 years in his program, a player needs to go elsewhere for one season in order to develop for the next level......

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/19/21 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
NFL1 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Yup. That.

Look at the box score of the NC game and tell me Stanford actually went 11 deep in close games.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/19/21 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
NFL1 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Yup. That.

Look at the box score of the NC game and tell me Stanford actually went 11 deep in close games.

Stanford did not go 11 deep ... but they have a lot of serviceable players who can get on the court and not kill you -- and in some cases (Prechtel), help you.

PostPosted: 04/19/21 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
NFL1 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Yup. That.

And??

Which one of Stewie's 4 NCs would he have won without her, in your opinion? Smile

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/22/21 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How do former Husky players and assistants fare as head coaches?

Quote:
Charlene Curtis

At UConn: 1995-97 (coach)
Left for: Wake Forest (1997-2004)
Record since: 67-129

Quote:
Jen Rizzotti

At UConn: 1992-96 (player)
Coached at: Hartford (1999-2016), George Washington (2016-21)
Record: 388-290

Quote:
Carla Berube

At UConn: 1993-97 (player)
Coached at: Tufts (2002-19), Princeton (2019-present)
Division I record: 29-1 | Total record: 413-85

Quote:
Tonya Cardoza

At UConn: 1994-2008 (coach)
Left for: Temple (2008-present)
Record since: 237-173

Quote:
Jamelle Elliott

At UConn: 1992-96 (player), 1998-2009, 2020-present (coach)
Left for: Cincinnati (2009-2018)
Record since: 113-162

Quote:
Marisa Moseley

At UConn: 2009-2018 (coach)
Left for: BU (2018-2021), now at Wisconsin (2021-present)
Record since: 45-29

Quote:
Morgan Valley

At UConn: 2000-04 (player), 2004-05 (student assistant)
Coached at: Hartford (2019-present)
Record: 4-37
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 04/22/21 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
NFL1 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Yup. That.

And??

Which one of Stewie's 4 NCs would he have won without her, in your opinion? Smile

I dunno - her freshman year?? I was trying to give CT the benefit of the doubt..... Very Happy

Shades

PostPosted: 05/02/21 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/uconn-star-paige-bueckers-undergoes-ankle-surgery-should-be-ready-for-season/ar-BB1ggh7q?li=BB15ms5q

Quote:
UConn guard Paige Bueckers underwent surgery to repair an osteochondral defect on her right ankle Friday, the university announced.

Despite the surgery, Bueckers is expected to be ready for preseason play in September, per The Athletic's Charlotte Carroll.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 06/28/21 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2021/6/28/womens-basketball-uconn-south-carolina-extend-series.aspx

Maybe this is old news at this point?-- but saw this article about the UConn South Carolina series being officially extended through the 2023-2024 season.

I can't wait for these game! Especially given the recruiting classes each school has coming in.

linkster

PostPosted: 06/28/21 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2021/6/28/womens-basketball-uconn-south-carolina-extend-series.aspx

Maybe this is old news at this point?-- but saw this article about the UConn South Carolina series being officially extended through the 2023-2024 season.

I can't wait for these game! Especially given the recruiting classes each school has coming in.

With the depth of the 2 teams this coming season (and next) they could have a JV game before the main event that would be better than most P-5 games.

ucbart

PostPosted: 06/29/21 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

With the depth of the 2 teams this coming season (and next) they could have a JV game before the main event that would be better than most P-5 games.

A JV game-I'm sorry, but that is funny. The amount of talent on UCONN & SC is crazy. I expect transfers from both teams, but it's still an impressive haul for both programs.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 06/29/21 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
linkster wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

A JV game-I'm sorry, but that is funny. The amount of talent on UCONN & SC is crazy. I expect transfers from both teams, but it's still an impressive haul for both programs.

Laughing

Some of us remember freshman teams...

Phil

PostPosted: 07/01/21 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:

Laughing

Some of us remember freshman teams...

Yes, and IIRC, the UCLA freshman team beat the varsity by 15 points. How good was the varsity? Only back to back national champions and ranked #1 in the country.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/01/21 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paige's routines for recovery from surgery:

<iframe width="661" height="372" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6CzGZQe1pRU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Shades

PostPosted: 07/11/21 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oFep9rY5QEM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tally24

PostPosted: 10/20/21 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really interested to see both who Geno starts and distributes minutes AND who finishes close games.
ucbart

PostPosted: 10/21/21 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Really interested to see both who Geno starts and distributes minutes AND who finishes close games.

I think the only two players that are sure things to finish every close game are Paige and Christyn. Everything else is up for grabs.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/24/21 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

I think the only two players that are sure things to finish every close game are Paige and Christyn. Everything else is up for grabs.

This is a reasonable pre-season prediction and may very well remain true to the end of the season.

However, although I believe the uber-hype about Azzi Fudd is is somewhat over the top, I would hope she is a better and more consistent all-around player than Christyn Williams even in her freshman year, especially as an outside shooter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: