RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

More Single Site Tournaments??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/07/21 8:42 am    ::: More Single Site Tournaments?? Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
A day after crowning a national champion for the first time since 2019, NCAA senior vice president of basketball Dan Gavitt told reporters that the successful men’s college basketball tournament held primarily in Indianapolis and exclusively in Indiana could create a late-round model for future tourneys.

https://www.wishtv.com/sports/college-basketball/ncaa-may-consider-single-site-for-part-of-future-tourneys/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Phil

PostPosted: 04/12/21 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I talked to Deb Antonelli before the championship game. As you all probably know, she's been a proponent of a single site for the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight, with Las Vegas as a potential location. I don't believe she anticipated that the final four would be in the same location as was done this year but that when we return to some symbol of normalcy, we have the round of 64 in the round of 32 at the home sites of the top 16 teams, the final 16 would go to a single location to play two more rounds, then the final 14 go to the final four location.

My sense is that there hasn't been a lot of support for her notion, but while the circumstances of this year are quite unfortunate, it does give us a model to help determine whether the concept would work. Obviously, one can't get a great sense of potential attendance given the very limited attendance permitted this year, but this year should provide insights into logistics for hotels and venues.

I personally would prefer a model where the Sweet 16 is played at two locations, one generally in the West with Las Vegas being a great option, and one generally east, rotating among Northeast, Midwest and Southeast venues, but I would definitely be open to a single location sweet 16 venue. I attended all 15 games from the sweet 16 on, and frankly it was a bit exhausting, but I think with a little tinkering, the start times could be adjusted to make it doable for those who really want to see a lot of games. My impression is that most of the attendees were therefore a particular team and may have attended one or two other games, but I know I didn't talk to anyone who attempted to go to all games. That's one of my rationales for pushing for two locations. I could easily imagine of attendee at either the West Coast or East Coast location deciding to watch all the games in person.

Did anyone else here attend all of the games after the round of 32? Did anyone make it for the first two rounds as well?

Phil

PostPosted: 04/12/21 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure why this double posted - mods feel free to delete this post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: