RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tyler Summit today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/08/21 7:35 am    ::: Tyler Summit today Reply Reply with quote

Interesting article on Tyler Summit in USA Today this morning.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sports/ncaaw/2021/04/08/tyler-summitt-son-legendary-coach-tries-move-scandal/7110934002/

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/21 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paywall. Please do not do that. Also it’s not necessary to bring up Tyler again.

PostPosted: 04/08/21 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmmm, I was able to read the entire article. And thank you for posting, PG4ever. I had kinda wondered whatever became of him. Sounds like he is still dealing with all that happened 5 years ago (loss of mom plus the affair) and trying to process it.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/08/21 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Paywall. Please do not do that. Also it’s not necessary to bring up Tyler again.

I don't understand the "paywall" comment. Non-subscribers can access this article. Can you explain what you mean by that?

In terms of bringing up Tyler Summit, I beg to differ. I'm neither a Tyler fan nor a "hater" but I think an update on what he's doing with his life today is relevant women's basketball news given he's Pat's son and a former coach himself.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/08/21 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I don't understand the "paywall" comment. Non-subscribers can access this article. Can you explain what you mean by that?

In terms of bringing up Tyler Summit, I beg to differ. I'm neither a Tyler fan nor a "hater" but I think an update on what he's doing with his life today is relevant women's basketball news given he's Pat's son and a former coach himself.

I agree, it absolutely belongs here. That's just a Tennessee fan trying to tell you what to do. One, I might add, that doesn't have any problem throwing gasoline of fires.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/08/21 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Hmmmm, I was able to read the entire article. And thank you for posting, PG4ever. I had kinda wondered whatever became of him. Sounds like he is still dealing with all that happened 5 years ago (loss of mom plus the affair) and trying to process it.

I too got the impression he was still processing the loss of his mother and what happened at LA Tech. He paid the consequences for his mistake and seems to be moving on with his life and trying to do good in the world.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/21 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, sorry, but I absolutely could not get to the article. And I just wish everyone would leave Tyler alone and let him get on with his life.

PostPosted: 04/08/21 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting article. Tyler is to be commended for voluntarily giving an in-depth interview on the fifth anniversary of his termination from LaTech. He knows that WBB fans, who have literally followed his life since Pat's labor pains on an airplane, continue to be interested in his ongoing life story.
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 04/08/21 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

This is what I get:

This content is only available to USA TODAY subscribers.
Subscribe for as low as $4.99 per month.
Subscribe Now
Your subscription includes access to:
Exclusive, subscriber-only content and weekly email newsletter
Our most popular newsletter, Daily Briefing, to keep you updated on the day's top stories
Full access on your desktop, tablet and mobile device
The eNewspaper, a digital replica of the print edition
Original reporting that provides diverse perspectives on news and issues of today
We know you have many choices and appreciate you investing in us and the future of journalism.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/08/21 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For what it’s worth, I was also blocked by a paywall. I was able to get around it by opening the article in an incognito browser.

I didn’t become a fan of the sport until after this incident occurred, so this was the first time I ever heard of Tyler.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 04/08/21 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
And I just wish everyone would leave Tyler alone and let him get on with his life.

Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.

Last edited by huskiemaniac on 04/08/21 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 04/08/21 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Interesting article. Tyler is to be commended for voluntarily giving an in-depth interview on the fifth anniversary of his termination from LaTech. He knows that WBB fans, who have literally followed his life since Pat's labor pains on an airplane, continue to be interested in his ongoing life story.

He undoubtedly knows that such an interview will help to rehabilitate his public image as well.

PostPosted: 04/08/21 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Such a sad story for all involved. As a side commentary, his living off his mother's state employee pension at $173,000/yr for life is just appalling from an economics standpoint. If I was a Tenn taxpayer, I'd be spitting nails.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/08/21 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Such a sad story for all involved. As a side commentary, his living off his mother's state employee pension at $173,000/yr for life is just appalling from an economics standpoint. If I was a Tenn taxpayer, I'd be spitting nails.

(....what's the 'appalling' part??) I mean, that's a LARGE pension but....if I've earned it, aren't I allowed to bequeath it to someone? Maybe I'm missing something.

I couldn't read the article either, but I wish him well. I have no reason to believe he's anything but a Good Person who made some very bad choices, and is paying some heavy consequences.

PostPosted: 04/08/21 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

I'm certain that Pat paid a lot of money into that pension fund. I agree that for life is a long time to draw the money, but it is the deal that the state made with their employees.

As for Tyler, he made bad choices concerning a consensual sexual relationship with someone that, for a period of time, he was in a coach/student role. For valid reasons, that is not allowed and he paid the consequences for his actions. No laws were broken and he should be entitled to move on with his life.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/08/21 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Well, sorry, but I absolutely could not get to the article. And I just wish everyone would leave Tyler alone and let him get on with his life.

And I doubt VERY HIGHLY that if this happened to the son of ANY former coach, other than your beloved Pat, this would 800000% not be your reaction.

Leave him alone? Like, uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, he was a willing participant in the article. If you want him left alone, I suggest you reach out to him and tell him that. Your reaction is sheer homerism, just admit it.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/08/21 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This article was actually refreshing and a positive note on Tyler's end everyone , no need to be frustrated it was very neutral Smile . I appreciate the support for Tyler in every fashion though !!!

PostPosted: 04/08/21 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

And I doubt VERY HIGHLY that if this happened to the son of ANY former coach, other than your beloved Pat, this would 800000% not be your reaction.

Leave him alone? Like, uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, he was a willing participant in the article. If you want him left alone, I suggest you reach out to him and tell him that. Your reaction is sheer homerism, just admit it.

I think the author should have left some of the other people in the story alone. Did s/he really think it necessary to ask Tyler's ex-wife for her input at this late date? Why even include her name as the woman on whom Tyler cheated? She's the one that needs to be allowed to go on with her life.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 04/08/21 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got the paywall as well.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/08/21 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

He undoubtedly knows that such an interview will help to rehabilitate his public image as well.

No doubt, and he's entitled to do so.

I, for one, don't believe that some hormonal consensual sin committed at age 24 should blacklist and destroy a person's career forevermore. If that were the universal rule, a huge chunk of the world's business managers, college professors, military officers, artists, politicians, famous personas, wealthy individuals, kings, queens, doctors, lawyers and Indian chiefs would disappear en masse in a Thanos Snap.
calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/08/21 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I found it a very interesting article. I had no trouble with a paywall.

This is a good reason why a 22 year old man might not be the best choice to coach a group of 18-21 year old women.

With regard to the pension, generally they are reserved for the life of the individual and sometimes their spouse. Many states have difficulty paying higher salaries (due to bad publicity) but compensate with overly generous pensions and other benefits. Universities also do this so it doesn't surprise me too much that a state university would have that. I seriously doubt this is specific to Pat Summitt and I don't think it reflects poorly on Tyler. I hope it allows him the opportunity to find his passion and contribute well to society.

UK1996

PostPosted: 04/08/21 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree Tyler deserved to be fired. But to be honest there was nothing inappropriate about the age difference, just the fact that he was married and her coach. This kind of thing goes on all the time without punishment. This is really a story of a kid who got married to his first wife too soon and landed the job of a lifetime due to his family. I wish him all the best in life and wouldn’t even mind to see him coaching again. I don’t necessarily think that he deserves to be blacklisted for life. I had a boss at the old university I worked at who had an affair with one of his grad students and lost his job. He was mid to late 30s and the student was in their late 20s early 30s. They were both married, however that hasn’t really affected either one of them other that the fact one of their marriages ended. The student still landed a great job at another university. The professor is a well respected researcher in our industry and had his pick of job opportunities in the private sector. Before this came out several companies had been recruiting the professor. The professor opted to stay as they genuinely enjoyed teaching in addition to research. The University compensated to keep the professor as this meant access to tech before other universities free or low cost in addition to grants, money for the professor to speak at conferences. Companies literally let the professor create her own position doing what she wanted.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/08/21 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's another link:

https://sports.yahoo.com/still-feel-guilt-tyler-summitt-110144242.html

And I think it's fine to post articles on here that require a subscription - if people can't look, so be it. Others may have a subscription and be interested.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/08/21 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Why click on the article to begin with? It's OK for you to read it (if you could) but no one else? I don't get it but, whatever.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ucbart

PostPosted: 04/08/21 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I think the author should have left some of the other people in the story alone. Did s/he really think it necessary to ask Tyler's ex-wife for her input at this late date? Why even include her name as the woman on whom Tyler cheated? She's the one that needs to be allowed to go on with her life.

The media sucks. But they have every right to dig in for the story. I, too, agree that his ex-wife shouldn't have been contacted, but that's journalism.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: