RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Miss State Currently.......
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Can McCray sustain the championship culture for MSST?
Contender
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
Pretender
57%
 57%  [ 15 ]
Fyreeeeeee Nikki & Nikki LOL
26%
 26%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 26

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/07/21 5:15 pm    ::: Miss State Currently....... Reply Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afF_doLlSF8

Saw this posted elsewhere and were wondering everyone's thoughts here on this interview and what it say's about NMP being a head coach of a championship contender ?

PostPosted: 04/07/21 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't there rumors she is going to add the Hayes sisters? All of them? That does not sound like a good idea to me.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/07/21 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s hard to follow a successful coach especially one who built a fan base. So she had that against her from the start. I also get the feeling that with this last group, Vic and crew had to manage disparate personalities on the Buldawg team. There were some young players having to fill key roles. But they were able to perform.

Then Vic leaves.

And in comes the new coach.

If she has a plan I don’t think she gets much time to implement it because fan base is calling for her head. If she retains Carter, Jackson , and Myah, she needs to produce wins.

I don’t think bringing the Hayes family into this is going to help chemistry.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/07/21 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Championship contender" would be hyperbole for 98% of D-1 programs. Top-25 is a more realistic goal, so I voted 'yes' with that in mind. That won't excite/appease a certain segment of the casual fan base in the same way, though.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/07/21 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Color me shocked that fans in Mississippi want to fire the black woman after one season

PostPosted: 04/07/21 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Following a successful coach is always going to be hard. Look at what happened to Norte Dame when McCraw retired. She did good at Old Dominion. And even though she's familiar with the SEC from a player and coaching stand point she needs more than a year before she's dropped.

She needs to go out there and get her own players. Hit up the transfer portal a lot of good pieces are in there. But, the Hayes sisters - is she crazy, desperate or all the above??

PostPosted: 04/07/21 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Color me shocked that fans in Mississippi want to fire the black woman after one season

IF that were the case Coach Yo wouldn't still be at Ole Miss this long. Given the time, she has begun to turn around the team that hasn't been very good since Coach Carol Ross (and Armintie Price graduated).

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/07/21 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given Miss State's history, there is no real reason to think they will be headed back to being a championship contender. I like McCray, so I hope I am wrong.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/08/21 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Do you think she deserved the job? Or do you think she got it based on the fact that she was a black woman? IMO, she had no business getting that job in the first place.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/21 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:

Do you think she deserved the job? Or do you think she got it based on the fact that she was a black woman? IMO, she had no business getting that job in the first place.

She had a very good resume as an assistant with Dawn Staley and she had rebuilt the ODU proGram from the rubble in which Karen Barefoot had left it—ODU a was on its way to becoming something again when Nikki left but it’s stagnant again. So your opinion is just that—your opinion. It would be hard for anyone to follow Vic.

PostPosted: 04/08/21 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:

She had a very good resume as an assistant with Dawn Staley and she had rebuilt the ODU proGram from the rubble in which Karen Barefoot had left it—ODU a was on its way to becoming something again when Nikki left but it’s stagnant again. So your opinion is just that—your opinion. It would be hard for anyone to follow Vic.

So, other P5 schools with FF's and NC games in the past 5 years, would hire her resume if it was given to them without a name attached to it? She was doomed from the start, IMO. To me, that job needed someone with major coaching experience, which she didn't have. Big deal-3 years at ODU? She would be great for something like the Auburn job that opened this year, or even Vanderbilt, but not Mississippi State. And, I'm entitled to my opinion, as you are yours.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/08/21 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:

Who else were they gonna get? I remember hearing rumblings about Jeff Walz but Walz was not going there. The word was they didn't offer Johnnie Harris. When you look at NMP's experience and results, she deserved the job as much as anybody else.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/08/21 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Given Miss State's history, there is no real reason to think they will be headed back to being a championship contender. I like McCray, so I hope I am wrong.

I agree. Since the program's inception in 1977 they haven't done much. A few winning seasons maybe, until Schaefer. He was that program. I like McCray as well and though I think she'll do better than most of the coaches in MSU's history, I think the Vic Shaefer kind of success will not be replicated.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/08/21 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:

Who else were they gonna get? I remember hearing rumblings about Jeff Walz but Walz was not going there. The word was they didn't offer Johnnie Harris. When you look at NMP's experience and results, she deserved the job as much as anybody else.

I don't know who else they were going to get, but that's on them, not me. I don't think, given her resume, she should've been the person hired. Maybe she was the best candidate the applied, I don't know. I surely hope she prospers there.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/08/21 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Walz flirted with them just enough to get more bargaining power with Louisville.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/08/21 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:

So, other P5 schools with FF's and NC games in the past 5 years, would hire her resume if it was given to them without a name attached to it? She was doomed from the start, IMO. To me, that job needed someone with major coaching experience, which she didn't have. Big deal-3 years at ODU? She would be great for something like the Auburn job that opened this year, or even Vanderbilt, but not Mississippi State. And, I'm entitled to my opinion, as you are yours.

Part of her resume is her name. Mississippi St would not generally be seen as a plum job, and in some ways could have been considered even more problematic due to its recent success. Nikki McCray showed success at ODU, she learned under Dawn Staley and she has a name that can help recruiting in SEC country. I think it was an excellent hire. This season was difficult for everyone. If she is supposed to maintain the level of success that Schaeffer had then I suspect anyone would fail. I would certainly give her at least 3 seasons before I made any assessment on her coaching.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 04/08/21 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Isn't there rumors she is going to add the Hayes sisters? All of them? That does not sound like a good idea to me.

Announced today that Madison Hayes is transferring to NC State .

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/08/21 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:

Part of her resume is her name. Mississippi St would not generally be seen as a plum job, and in some ways could have been considered even more problematic due to its recent success. Nikki McCray showed success at ODU, she learned under Dawn Staley and she has a name that can help recruiting in SEC country. I think it was an excellent hire. This season was difficult for everyone. If she is supposed to maintain the level of success that Schaeffer had then I suspect anyone would fail. I would certainly give her at least 3 seasons before I made any assessment on her coaching.

Agree 100% with this.

As a side note, whenever a Black woman has a tough first year on the job, without fail, people will always be ready to assume she wasn't qualified to begin with. It's a sad trope.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/08/21 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

Welp, those rumors have officially been proven true!

Quote:
The Hayes sisters (Murfreesboro, TN) have all committed to transfer to Mississippi State WBB: Aislynn Hayes (5-6 SO guard) and Anastasia Hayes (5-7 RS JR guard / grad xfer) from Middle Tennessee and Alasia Hayes (5-7 FR point guard) from Notre Dame

No mention of their younger sister Acacia Hayes who’s still currently trying to choose her first university – although, Mississippi State is apparently on her finalists list...

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/08/21 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 04/08/21 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, Nikki, what have you done? 😣

PostPosted: 04/08/21 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
Walz flirted with them just enough to get more bargaining power with Louisville.

Exactly. Like I said, he wasn't going there.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/08/21 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Oh, Nikki, what have you done? 😣

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Spoken as a neutral observer to SEC play, whether or not the Hayes sisters lead Miss St to a successful season, this will certainly be fun to watch!

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 04/08/21 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Welp, those rumors have officially been proven true!

Quote:
The Hayes sisters (Murfreesboro, TN) have all committed to transfer to Mississippi State WBB: Aislynn Hayes (5-6 SO guard) and Anastasia Hayes (5-7 RS JR guard / grad xfer) from Middle Tennessee and Alasia Hayes (5-7 FR point guard) from Notre Dame

No mention of their younger sister Acacia Hayes who’s still currently trying to choose her first university – although, Mississippi State is apparently on her finalists list...

Oops , my mistake , I guess . I assumed Madison Hayes was part of this group .

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/09/21 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
Oops , my mistake , I guess I assumed Madison Hayes was part of this group .

Take away the “M” in “Madison”, and I suppose she could’ve been...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: