RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Paige Bueckers wins the Nancy Lieberman Award . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/04/21 10:03 pm    ::: Paige Bueckers wins the Nancy Lieberman Award . . . Reply Reply with quote

. . . for best point guard in the country. She is the the first freshman ever to win this award, as she has been for so many other awards.

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2021/4/4/womens-basketball-bueckers-named-nancy-lieberman-award-winner.aspx

Quote:
Five Huskies have won the Nancy Lieberman Award a total of nine times: Sue Bird (2000, '01, '02), Diana Taurasi (2003, '04), Renee Montgomery (2009), Moriah Jefferson (2015, '16) and Bueckers (2021).

Paige, the unprecedented, has collected more awards and hardware than any freshman in college history.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/21 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Disagree with this heartily. After what I've seen I would give it to McDonald.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

________________X AirMac proved her point no need for the awards and hype.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

An argument can be made for both Bueckers and McDonald in terms of are either a point or shooting guard. Paige had one of the best shooting percentages for 3s at one point (I stopped paying attention after so long) and McDonald actually won the Ann Meyers Drysdale award for top shooting guard in the country last season. One thing also, since Paige won all of the NPOY awards that she was eligible for, one could only assume that she'd win the top position award as well. W09, ahaha good bait. You sure loved all the hype when the Wings got it..

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/05/21 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

An argument can be made for both Bueckers and McDonald in terms of are either a point or shooting guard. Paige had one of the best shooting percentages for 3s at one point (I stopped paying attention after so long) and McDonald actually won the Ann Meyers Drysdale award for top shooting guard in the country last season. One thing also, since Paige won all of the NPOY awards that she was eligible for, one could only assume that she'd win the top position award as well. W09, ahaha good bait. You sure loved all the hype when the Wings got it..

Yes because they are professionals and my hometown team . Beuckers is a baller so not saying it was not deserved , but Aari is a dog . Paige will be too , not sure what your after here but I'm not biting.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McDonald, however, is not a point guard. Her A/TO is 1.3 and in two of her four years she had more turnovers than assists. (She's a very good player, of course.)

Bueckers A/TO was 2.1, but I'm not sure she was a PG either, as Christyn Williams did a lot of the ballhandling.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
McDonald, however, is not a point guard. Her A/TO is 1.3 and in two of her four years she had more turnovers than assists. (She's a very good player, of course.)

Bueckers A/TO was 2.1, but I'm not sure she was a PG either, as Christyn Williams did a lot of the ballhandling.

Wait, who do you think ran the point for Arizona if not Aari?

SDHoops

PostPosted: 04/05/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
ClayK wrote:

One year Diana Taurasi won the award and she maybe played point like a handful of possessions all season. We and the players can't control who gets them, but they sure make excpetions when they want. In Paige's case she ran point a lot as well as off the ball and would be more qualified than DT was the year she won it. I didn't watch AM enough this season but I'm assuming the case was the same with her running as much if not more point than off the ball.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/06/21 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
ClayK wrote:

You can put someone at a position -- God knows I've done it -- but that doesn't mean they can "play" the position.

PostPosted: 04/06/21 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
ClayK wrote:

You can put someone at a position -- God knows I've done it -- but that doesn't mean they can "play" the position.

WTH are you talking about? How can you say she didn't/can't play it? She gave plenty of evidence.

PostPosted: 04/06/21 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
ClayK wrote:

WTH are you talking about? How can you say she didn't/can't play it? She gave plenty of evidence.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 04/06/21 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Obviously she can play it. But really she's a shooting guard. My apologies for not being clear.

PostPosted: 04/06/21 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Obviously she can play it. But really she's a shooting guard. My apologies for not being clear.

And where in canon law is it written that PGs are not allowed to shoot, and shoot well?

PostPosted: 04/06/21 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

As long as we're picking nits, Bueckers played both point guard and shooting guard but it wasn't Williams who was the secondary ball handler. Nika Muhl, as both a starter and sub, would play the point when Bueckers was in the game. When Muhl wasn't available and Geno wanted Bueckers off the ball, he would use Evina Westbrook as the point. Williams was really fourth on the depth chart as ball handler.

That said, Paige Bueckers' most Platonically pure incarnation is as a point guard -- a superb combination of leading fast breaks, long passing, inside passing, and shooting off the bounce. I personally get frustrated when Geno plays her off the ball because I believe it leads to less UConn scoring rather than more. Paige has to be in control of the ball to go gunslinger -- Pistol Paige -- which she needs to do more often against good teams, a la Caitlin Clark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: