RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#3 Arizona vs #1 Connecticut - 4/02/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Arizona
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Connecticut
83%
 83%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 24

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/03/21 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:

In the men’s game, please someone give an example of a Wade trophy winner who has been talke of so terribly, all the while degrading another number one recruit on that team about being even worse for not supporting the Wade winner.

I've sensed him sort of "implying" or "indirectly" degrading Williams in favor of Paige, but I haven't noticed anything "direct." Do you have specific examples in mind? (I'm just trying to learn more.)

(Edit: I have noticed him degrading ONO more than Williams.)

p.s. UConn's fanbase does this just as much, perhaps taking their cue from Geno himself? Once Paige stepped foot on that campus (and especially once her stats were good), UConn fans began to act like ONO and Williams are trash.

Tally24

PostPosted: 04/03/21 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:

In the men’s game, please someone give an example of a Wade trophy winner who has been talke of so terribly, all the while degrading another number one recruit on that team about being even worse for not supporting the Wade winner.

I've sensed him sort of "implying" or "indirectly" degrading Williams in favor of Paige, but I haven't noticed anything "direct." Do you have specific examples in mind? (I'm just trying to learn more.)

p.s. UConn's fanbase does this just as much, perhaps taking their cue from Geno himself? Once Paige stepped foot on that campus (and especially once her stats were good), UConn fans began to act like ONO and Williams are trash.

I have the opposite issue where I try to take up for everyone. I will say, I am disappointed with the progression of ONO. She is great from the high post as a facilitator and she’s a good shot blocker and okay rebounder. I just keep waiting on her to have that moment where it all “clicks” and she starts making layups and knocks down free throws.
Skyfan22

PostPosted: 04/03/21 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:

When all you mention is Paige not having any support around her and there is an upperclassman who is also an overall number one recruit than tgeee isn’t anything specific to be said. The implication made by the statement is too obvious to be incidental. And if by some reason it is, than Geno is a bigger dumb ass that has relied on his ability to recruit game changers than I can give him credit fir. And I don’t give him credit other than being a man of the 99s who face enough faux lip service to attract top female players in a gaslit society that accepted bullshit like that. Than he magically earned two rotations as USA basketball head coach and voila, every player is attracted to him like moths around a flame.

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/04/21 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
Take what she gets. Kids are free to go where they want to. But, I lost a little respect for Williams & Nelson-Ododa years ago. One's from Arkansas the other from Georgia but, they hop, skip and jump to Connecticut. All these great schools in the SEC, ACC, hell even the Big 12.

The #2, 3, 4 out of 2021 Hoopgurlz prospects class stayed close to home/local.

They are. But they also need to be more aware. The 90s era of faux women support a la Geno is gone. Trash talking players like that is not cool. Period. Not as a man. Not as a white person. It’s offensive. It needs to be called out for what it is. Adia has lifted her players without the berating. Geno circa 1990s before there was a definition of sexual harassment needs to go. These women hear him speak for feminism but fall prey to the gaslighting of a society that has confounded it’s populace to credit him for his stand on politics in favor of minorities all the while demeaning his players. He’s trash and his shit needs to stop. All with much less talent then him. Retire. Your chauvinism is no longer wanted.

The coach Michigan St men's program has the same problem and is worse than Geno. He shoves players, chase them into the locker room like he wants to physically fight them etc etc - and what does the media say. Oh, that's just Mich St bb. Turns my stomach.

undersized_post wrote:

Fair enough, but they're each from Georgia and North Carolina and still decide to go out of state to South Carolina, which is a blueblood program in its own right. (Edit: You're right though, for these girls SC is still more "local" in a regional sense than UConn and has less national recognition.)

For me local for a player is 4-5 hours from the house. That's a day or weekend trip to take the laundry home. LOL!

PostPosted: 04/04/21 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
UConn is not invincible.

Curious as to when this brainstorm hit?

It's more how they seemed to think of themselves, and how you fans think of them Very Happy I certainly never have.

Man, hatred sure can be blinding.

I'd conservatively guess 95+% of UConn fans here aren't mindless tribalists- maybe you're confusing us with Boner Homers? How many here indicated this young team was invincible? None?

Would you say your decades-long Geno hatred is also the reason for your additional ignorance regarding UConn invincibility? In more than a few years, they actually were invincible. Laughing

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 04/04/21 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
Take what she gets. Kids are free to go where they want to. But, I lost a little respect for Williams & Nelson-Ododa years ago. One's from Arkansas the other from Georgia but, they hop, skip and jump to Connecticut. All these great schools in the SEC, ACC, hell even the Big 12.

They are. But they also need to be more aware. The 90s era of faux women support a la Geno is gone. Trash talking players like that is not cool. Period. Not as a man. Not as a white person. It’s offensive. It needs to be called out for what it is. Adia has lifted her players without the berating. Geno circa 1990s before there was a definition of sexual harassment needs to go. These women hear him speak for feminism but fall prey to the gaslighting of a society that has confounded it’s populace to credit him for his stand on politics in favor of minorities all the while demeaning his players. He’s trash and his shit needs to stop. In the men’s game, please someone give an example of a Wade trophy winner who has been talked of so terribly, all the while degrading another number one recruit on that team about being even worse for not supporting the Wade winner. I can’t think of one. It’s disgusting. He’s been out coached in the last four years by muffet, Mulkey and Adia. All with much less talent then him. Retire. Your chauvinism is no longer wanted.

Awesome. Can we crown Skyfan22 King/Queen of the Geno Haters? It's been a while since this kind of vitriol has come down the pike.

Go forth and save womanhood in general and WCB in particular from the scourge that is the evil patriarch, Geno!

PS- I notice you failed to mention Vic Schaefer above. Wink

SDHoops

PostPosted: 04/04/21 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can we all just sthu now? Laughing Pretty sure Zona and Stanford are playing today! My Huskies lost, plain and simple.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 04/04/21 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Fair enough, but they're each from Georgia and North Carolina and still decide to go out of state to South Carolina, which is a blueblood program in its own right. (Edit: You're right though, for these girls SC is still more "local" in a regional sense than UConn and has less national recognition.)

Wait, what? A program which, for all intents and purposes, didn't exist until ten years ago, is a "blueblood," now?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/04/21 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Wait, what? A program which, for all intents and purposes, didn't exist until ten years ago, is a "blueblood," now?

Fair enough -- wrong use of that term on my part. Maybe "top-tier" or "elite" would be more accurate?

Davis4632

PostPosted: 04/04/21 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Fair enough -- wrong use of that term on my part. Maybe "top-tier" or "elite" would be more accurate?

Top tier or elite would be probably better term.As for bluebloods, Is Louisiana Tech and Old Dominion still considered to bluebloods even though they aren't nationally relevant anymore?

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/04/21 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like that dude with the pizza walking into the room that is on fire opening this thread. Good gracious. Look, talking smack about UConn is fun, but some of y'all maybe need to turn the acid level down a touch.

Do y'all not think that if Auriemma were guilty of half the prejudice being slung about in this thread, it would not have been called out by one of the... 30-odd, idk, math is hard and I'm tired... years of players that have come through the program, many of whom have demonstrated a willingness to not tolerate BS? Is it possible that he can be individually charmed by a player, skill- and personality-wise? Almost certainly. But come on, y'all. Pretty sure it's not a vast conspiracy.

(also did I see someone comparing Mulkey favorably to him? She who supports, aids, and abets a sexist, homophobic, institution that is perfectly okay with covering up rape and murder to keep the sports machine going brrr?)

Also, players are not obligated to stay close to home. It's great if they do because they want to! It's fantastic if they want to help build a local program instead of maintain a powerhouse tradition! As a St. John's fan I appreciate Da'Shena Stevens not going to UConn! (and yes, I go back far enough to appreciate the return of Kia Wright with all her original packaging and receipt enclosed) But by the same token, my all-time favorite Johnnie is from Alabama; my all-time favorite Pirate is from North Carolina (and did try the staying close to home thing before it didn't work out for her); my all-time favorite Gael is from Tennessee; my favorite Ram is from New Zealand. You go to college to expand your horizons, right? Maybe if we shouldn't be passing judgment on why individual players transfer, the next logical step is to not pass judgment on why they pick the school in the first place.

(I mean, unless there's documentation that there were shenanigans involved. If there's tampering or impermissible benefits, that's a whole 'nother can of worms.)

The problem with UConn is not UConn as a program. The problem is a toxic segment of the fan base that spreads like fungus, attempts to choke the life out of anything that is not UConn, and doesn't seem to understand that it's okay for things not to be UConn. I like some of y'all! Some of y'all have a sense of humor! Some of y'all just don't seem to comprehend that sometimes a team is better at a thing than UConn is; it's never that the other team was better, it's always that UConn was worse, and that takes away agency from the opponent. And I do think a lot of that is fed by ESPN (and occasionally other national media, but mostly ESPN) shoehorning UConn into everything even when it's not germane to the situation at hand. Like Rowe talking about the Bueckers-Suggs friendship. Cool. Great. Love to see that kind of mutual respect between MBB and WBB stars. You couldn't have held that for the UConn game instead of during Stanford-South Carolina?

(And yes I realize that ESPN's inability to focus on more than one thing at a time is a problem endemic to the network and those it employs; Rebecca Lobo the ESPN commentator has a very different style than Rebecca Lobo the Sun commentator, to provide an example. I will swear on my grandmother's grave that Brooke Weisbrod did not have this level of being distracted by shiny objects when she broke into the business. And yes, I'm aware that the WCBB shiny object is not always UConn-related, but it usually is.)

(now with spelling variations)
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 04/04/21 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I feel like that dude with the pizza walking into the room that is on fire opening this thread. Good gracious. Look, talking smack about UConn is fun, but some of y'all maybe need to turn the acid level down a touch.

I hear what you're saying, but allow me to present this counter argument: fuck UConn, and the horse they rode in on. #HateHard

Also, put some respect on Troy Barnes' name, please and thank you.

Quote:
The problem with UConn is not UConn as a program. The problem is a toxic segment of the fan base that spreads like fungus, attempts to choke the life out of anything that is not UConn, and doesn't seem to understand that it's okay for things not to be UConn.

This, of course, is not unique to UConn, or even college sports. Fans of any team that has enjoyed a period of sustained success are, for better or worse, going to be defined by a particularly obnoxious minority. And no fandom is immune: let any team, in any sport, have a multi-year run of sustained success, and watch the shitty fans multiply, like a Gremlin that jumped in a swimming pool. Lynx fans were fine, until they weren't. Hell, UConn fans were probably fine, after they won the first championship...

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/04/21 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie, I love you(r posts). Smile

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 04/04/21 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Do y'all not think that if Auriemma were guilty of half the prejudice being slung about in this thread, it would not have been called out by one of the... 30-odd, idk, math is hard and I'm tired... years of players that have come through the program, many of whom have demonstrated a willingness to not tolerate BS? Is it possible that he can be individually charmed by a player, skill- and personality-wise? Almost certainly. But come on, y'all. Pretty sure it's not a vast conspiracy.

(also did I see someone comparing Mulkey favorably to him? She who supports, aids, and abets a sexist, homophobic, institution that is perfectly okay with covering up rape and murder to keep the sports machine going brrr?)

Also, players are not obligated to stay close to home. It's great if they do because they want to! It's fantastic if they want to help build a local program instead of maintain a powerhouse tradition! As a St. John's fan I appreciate Da'Shena Stevens not going to UConn! (and yes, I go back far enough to appreciate the return of Kia Wright with all her original packaging and receipt enclosed) But by the same token, my all-time favorite Johnnie is from Alabama; my all-time favorite Pirate is from North Carolina (and did try the staying close to home thing before it didn't work out for her); my all-time favorite Gael is from Tennessee; my favorite Ram is from New Zealand. You go to college to expand your horizons, right? Maybe if we shouldn't be passing judgment on why individual players transfer, the next logical step is to not pass judgment on why they pick the school in the first place.

(I mean, unless there's documentation that there were shenanigans involved. If there's tampering or impermissible benefits, that's a whole 'nother can of worms.)

The problem with UConn is not UConn as a program. The problem is a toxic segment of the fan base that spreads like fungus, attempts to choke the life out of anything that is not UConn, and doesn't seem to understand that it's okay for things not to be UConn. I like some of y'all! Some of y'all have a sense of humor! Some of y'all just don't seem to comprehend that sometimes a team is better at a thing than UConn is; it's never that the other team was better, it's always that UConn was worse, and that takes away agency from the opponent. And I do think a lot of that is fed by ESPN (and occasionally other national media, but mostly ESPN) shoehorning UConn into everything even when it's not germane to the situation at hand. Like Rowe talking about the Bueckers-Suggs friendship. Cool. Great. Love to see that kind of mutual respect between MBB and WBB stars. You couldn't have held that for the UConn game instead of during Stanford-South Carolina?

(And yes I realize that ESPN's inability to focus on more than one thing at a time is a problem endemic to the network and those it employs; Rebecca Lobo the ESPN commentator has a very different style than Rebecca Lobo the Sun commentator, to provide an example. I will swear on my grandmother's grave that Brooke Weisbrod did not have this level of being distracted by shiny objects when she broke into the business. And yes, I'm aware that the WCBB shiny object is not always UConn-related, but it usually is.)

Whew that part! She's been called classy on another popular board, although after the elite 8 loss this year, I think those feelings of good will are now gone Laughing Laughing Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: