RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA Volleyball

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/03/21 11:37 pm    ::: NCAA Volleyball Reply Reply with quote

Any NCAA Volleyball fans out there?

Their season was spread across the fall and spring, with some conferences only playing this spring. For that reason, their NCAA tournament is taking place this month. In a crazy and poetic scheduling move, the volleyball tournament selection show is Sunday, April 4th at 4pmET, just hours before the basketball final!

The volleyball tournament usually has 64 teams with the top 16 each hosting the first two rounds, but that format has been reduced to 48 teams this year and it will all take place at one site, in Omaha.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 04/04/21 4:59 pm    ::: Re: NCAA Volleyball Reply Reply with quote

Wisconsin, Number One overall seed! Go Badgers!!!

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/04/21 8:52 pm    ::: Re: NCAA Volleyball Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
Wisconsin, Number One overall seed! Go Badgers!!!

I usually root for the best Big Ten team, so Wisconsin it is. Smile I'm just glad a tournament is happening at all. I don't follow volleyball nearly as closely as basketball, but I do watch the the games between the top teams.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 04/06/21 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My Texas State Bobcats are in! First 30-win season. They were ranked #11 in the fall, but totally ignored for the spring season and thus utterly disrespected in regards to seeds. Texas State isn't in a power 5 conference, so it was kind of expected.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/06/21 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
My Texas State Bobcats are in! First 30-win season. They were ranked #11 in the fall, but totally ignored for the spring season and thus utterly disrespected in regards to seeds. Texas State isn't in a power 5 conference, so it was kind of expected.

Congrats Very Happy I know there was a lot of gripe about the seedings with the B1G being awarded so many top 16 seeds over the Pac 12 or the stellar mid major teams. The fragmented fall/spring nature of this season has been extremely strange, and I think the B1G got more attention because they only played a spring season. The tourney will be exciting as it always is but it won't have that "end of year" feeling like usual.

played3on3

PostPosted: 04/16/21 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn’t this on tv? Can’t find it anywhere.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/16/21 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

played3on3 wrote:
Isn’t this on tv? Can’t find it anywhere.

The next match is on ESPN3, Saturday night at 8pmET. #1 Wisconsin vs. #16 BYU.

Seven more Sweet 16 matches on Sunday, then the four Elite 8 matches on Monday. They will mostly be on ESPNU and ESPN3 with a few on ESPN2.

played3on3

PostPosted: 04/17/21 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah, thank you.

played3on3

PostPosted: 04/17/21 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah, thank you.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 04/23/21 2:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So much for Wisconsin. Swept out by Texas. Texas vs. Kentucky for the Championship. I don't think Kentucky has a chance, not after last night.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/23/21 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wisconsin was leading 20-16 in set 1 I think but couldn't close it out. Set 3 was also tied 23-23 and they got outplayed in the last couple points. Very hard match. Wisconsin brought in their reserve OH for the entire 3rd set because Loberg was struggling against the Texas block.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 04/25/21 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
So much for Wisconsin. Swept out by Texas. Texas vs. Kentucky for the Championship. I don't think Kentucky has a chance, not after last night.

Guess I'm eating my words today. Can't believe Kentucky got the Championship last night. I don't get ESPN so I can only imagine what was happening on the court last night.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/16/21 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Final Four of the Fall 2021 season commenced tonight. The second match didn't start until 10:30PM ET, because the first match, which started at 7:00PM, went to 5 sets. How is this acceptable?.

PostPosted: 12/17/21 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
The Final Four of the Fall 2021 season commenced tonight. The second match didn't start until 10:30PM ET, because the first match, which started at 7:00PM, went to 5 sets. How is this acceptable?.

This match concluded shortly before 1:00AM.

PostPosted: 12/17/21 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

They certainly gave the second teams a lot of warmup time after the first match ended. They need a facility that allows warmup while the first match is going on. You have to expect a 5 set match to potentially use up the 2 and a half hours they alloted between the first match start and the scheduled start of the second.

Give that the event was in the Eastern Time Zone and each match can go over two hours plus the second game warmup, it is surprising they didn't at least start it at 6:00pm. Must be something about the national broadcast hours.

But I was disappointed that both ACC teams lost against the much bigger and higher high school recruit laden Big 10 teams. As the announcer said, Wisconsin was able to put up the biggest block in the world against Louisville. No team has a 6’9” outside hitter and 6’8” middle blocker in the starting lineup.

Have to root for Wisconsin in the final since I don’t believe they have ever won while Nebraska has at least 4 times. Nebraska is in a UConn like situation where 3 former junior national team members joined them this year.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/18/21 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wisconsin gets its first title. Which is nice. But the pandemic has to get credit as the National Player of the Year and two other starters got to play an additional 5th year. Nebraska had at least one starter playing that extra year.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/19/21 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Wisconsin gets its first title. Which is nice. But the pandemic has to get credit as the National Player of the Year and two other starters got to play an additional 5th year. Nebraska had at least one starter playing that extra year.

Lexi Sun was Nebraska’s second pandemic super senior. She used to start at OH and is a former All-American but got beat out by a freshman this year. Nebraska was playing so well in the latter part of the season but I’m glad Wisconsin finally got a title. Every set was a battle!

PostPosted: 12/19/21 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, it was an amazing match. Some long rallys with the back rows being so good on both sides. One of those matches where it is a shame one team has to lose.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: