RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Covid year eligibility for seniors/grad transfers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/02/21 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Players have gotten a 6th year (like Patberg did), but that doesn't happen all that often and there are usually some pretty extenuating circumstances. I cannot recall a single instance of someone getting a 7th year.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/02/21 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Ali Patberg returning for Indiana. With transferring and redshirting and being injured, I think this will be her 7th year of college basketball?

This is ridiculous and not what this whole blanket rule was designed for. She began her career at Notre Dame in the fall of 2015, redshirting that year due to a knee injury. Since that time, she has had another 5 years to play. To put it in perspective, her classmate at Notre Dame was Jackie Young, who this summer will complete in her 3rd season in the WNBA! Seriously, WTF?

Why compare her to Young, who only played 3 years? That is not the norm but in 3 years Young played in 109 games. Patberg all of her years has played in 112 games so she has clearly missed a lot of time.

Since when does total games matter (I'm guessing Young's total includes NCAA tournament games, so there is an extra 12-15 or so. Patberg could have had those but she transferred on top of redshirting for an injury)? We can go back through the history of college basketball and find players that have missed a bunch of time. However, none of them have been allowed to play over 7 seasons in college. That's asinine. I don't care who they are or what school they go to.

I compared her to Young simply because they entered school together as freshmen at Notre Dame. Seems pretty appropriate. I mean, I could compare her to pretty much every other college student-athlete that entered school in the Fall of 2015 if you'd like. How many are still going to college in the Fall of 2021 as a 7th year student-athlete?

Patberg was class of 2015, Young was class of 2016

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/02/21 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

My mistake...and thanks for proving my point even more. Young has already been out of school and entering her 3rd of pro basketball while Patberg entered school a year earlier and is still in school. Patberg is going to be a college lifer lol. Basically a third of her life to date will have been spent in college.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/02/21 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:

My mistake...and thanks for proving my point even more. Young has already been out of school and entering her 3rd of pro basketball while Patberg entered school a year earlier and is still in school. Patberg is going to be a college lifer lol. Basically a third of her life to date will have been spent in college.

I cannot fathom your disdain for Ali's decision....it affects you HOW?? Rolling Eyes Unusual, perhaps, but it IS her decision. I'm more impressed by someone who does THAT over leaving early just for the $$$. Being hyper-critical of someone's rightful decision might be considered "asinine", too.

PostPosted: 04/02/21 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeKe McKinney(UK) announced she is entering the transfer portal as a grad transfer.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/21 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jamie Carey had six years of eligibility between Stanford and Texas. I suppose if Covid had hit in her sixth year, she could have gotten seven years of eligibility.

I'm curious as to how Patberg is finessing this academically. She is listed in this her sixth year in college a senior. It used to be the rule at most colleges that you couldn't stay indefinitely as an undergraduate; you had to graduate after accumulating some number of credit hours. Maybe things have changed academically, or maybe colleges will always give special breaks to athletes.

In seven years at a university, academic students could have a baccalaureate and a J.D. or be most of the way to an M.D. or Ph.D.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/02/21 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Jamie Carey had six years of eligibility between Stanford and Texas. I suppose if Covid had hit in her sixth year, she could have gotten seven years of eligibility.

I'm curious as to how Patberg is finessing this academically. She is listed in this her sixth year in college a senior. It used to be the rule at most colleges that you couldn't stay indefinitely as an undergraduate; you had to graduate after accumulating some number of credit hours. Maybe things have changed academically, or maybe colleges will always give special breaks to athletes.

In seven years at a university, academic students could have a baccalaureate and a J.D. or be most of the way to an M.D. or Ph.D.

https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/ali--patberg/14801

Quote:
graduated from IU's Kelley School of Business in May 2020 with a degree in finance ... currently pursing a master's degree in recreation administration.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/02/21 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:

I cannot fathom your disdain for Ali's decision....it affects you HOW?? Rolling Eyes Unusual, perhaps, but it IS her decision. I'm more impressed by someone who does THAT over leaving early just for the $$$. Being hyper-critical of someone's rightful decision might be considered "asinine", too.

Jealousy.

PostPosted: 04/03/21 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All four of the Maryland “Seniors” are coming back!😀 🐢👏🏼‼️

Benzan, Bibby, Styles and Lewis!

Unfinished business . . .

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/03/21 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland Womwns IG; “all four seniors coming back”

Styles,
Lewis,
Bibby,
Benzan

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/03/21 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA released their list of players who have declared for the 2021 Draft thus far. Here are some of the notable players who DID NOT declare and thus appear to be staying in school through next school year (thanks to toad455 for helping to compile):

- Erin Boley, Oregon
- Mya Hollingshed, Colorado
- Kayla Wells, Texas A&M
- Ali Patberg, Indiana
- Bethy Mununga, South Florida
- Mallory McGwire, Boise State
- Amber Ramirez, Arkansas
- Moon Ursin, Baylor
- Faustine Aifuwa & Khayla Pointer, LSU
- Lauren Heard, TCU
- All of Maryland's seniors/grad students
- All of NC State's seniors/grad students

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/03/21 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
The WNBA released their list of players who have declared for the 2021 Draft thus far. Here are some of the notable players who DID NOT declare and thus appear to be staying in school through next school year (thanks to toad455 for helping to compile):

- Erin Boley, Oregon
- Mya Hollingshed, Colorado
- Kayla Wells, Texas A&M
- Ali Patberg, Indiana
- Bethy Mununga, South Florida
- Mallory McGwire, Boise State
- Amber Ramirez, Arkansas
- Moon Ursin, Baylor
- Faustine Aifuwa & Khayla Pointer, LSU
- Lauren Heard, TCU
- All of Maryland's seniors/grad students
- All of NC State's seniors/grad students

Hollingshead has confirmed returning. Pointer will return as well but I thought might grad transfer.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/03/21 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tyra Whitehead is an interesting one. She transferred from Wake to San Jose after her sophomore year. I watched her a bit last year because of the fantasy game. She has size and a game that might translate.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/03/21 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hmmm. maybe Leger-Walker (Krystal) will return for WSU.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/04/21 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Evina Westbrook is returning for UConn.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/04/21 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Evina Westbrook is returning for UConn.

This surprises me quite a bit. She had a real chance to be a first round pick in this weak WNBA draft. Next year, who knows.

This will also cause quite a log jam at UConn next season with three very highly ranked recruits swelling the roster to an unheard-of 15 players, resulting in great competition for the starting and high bench rotations. It's almost certain that Azzi Fudd will immediately be a better player than Westbrook (and everyone else other than Bueckers), but Geno will feel a loyalty obligation to keep starting Westbrook.

Finally, the return of Westbrook will likely increase the probability of transfers from the current mid- and low-bench players, who got scarce minutes this season.
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/05/21 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Jealousy.

LOL @ summertime. Extremely inaccurate assessment (if you only knew) so thanks for that chuckle.

@ Howee...my issue isn't with Patberg but with the NCAA allowing someone to go to school on scholarship for 7 years in order to have 4 years of competition. You used to only get 5, then there were exceptions made along the way where people could get a 6th year and now it appears some are even going to get a 7th. That, to me, is asinine. She can make whatever decision she wants and what she feels is in her best interest.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/21 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Ali Patberg returning for Indiana. With transferring and redshirting and being injured, I think this will be her 7th year of college basketball?

This is ridiculous and not what this whole blanket rule was designed for. She began her career at Notre Dame in the fall of 2015, redshirting that year due to a knee injury. Since that time, she has had another 5 years to play. To put it in perspective, her classmate at Notre Dame was Jackie Young, who this summer will complete in her 3rd season in the WNBA! Seriously, WTF?

Why compare her to Young, who only played 3 years? That is not the norm but in 3 years Young played in 109 games. Patberg all of her years has played in 112 games so she has clearly missed a lot of time.

Since when does total games matter (I'm guessing Young's total includes NCAA tournament games, so there is an extra 12-15 or so. Patberg could have had those but she transferred on top of redshirting for an injury)? We can go back through the history of college basketball and find players that have missed a bunch of time. However, none of them have been allowed to play over 7 seasons in college. That's asinine. I don't care who they are or what school they go to.

I compared her to Young simply because they entered school together as freshmen at Notre Dame. Seems pretty appropriate. I mean, I could compare her to pretty much every other college student-athlete that entered school in the Fall of 2015 if you'd like. How many are still going to college in the Fall of 2021 as a 7th year student-athlete?

I'm genuinely curious -- does anyone know of cases similar to Patberg's in which an athlete has been granted an abnormally high number of years of eligibility?

I'm not sure at all if it's related to Patberg's decision to stay, but the day after she announced, fellow IU guards Jaelynn Penn and Chanel Wilson announced they were entering the transfer portal. Perhaps knowing that if Patberg is returning, less minutes available? This is total speculation on my part.

As close as I can come to Patberg would be Jamie Colley, who started at Stanford and finished at Texas. She got a lot of years.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
As close as I can come to Patberg would be Jamie Colley, who started at Stanford and finished at Texas. She got a lot of years.

I believe you mean Jamie Carey. She entered Stanford in 1999 and left Texas in 2005. She played her first year at Stanford and then sat out the next 2 years with concussions, ankle surgeries, etc. The doctors there wouldn't clear her from concussion protocol to play but the doctors at Texas would, so she went there. She played 3 years there. She was one of the early exceptions that got 6 years to play 4. She definitely had some extenuating circumstances with those severe concussions for sure.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/07/21 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/MSULadyBears/status/1379920905317593091

Bryce Calip of Missouri State, name POY in the Missouri Valley Conference, is returning for her extra year of eligibility.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/07/21 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
Why do they get a free year again? Most completed their seasons last yesr and this year? Laughing

Many teams had 10+ fewer games and most had very few OOC games. It was by no means normal.

Same with spring sports but I guess they aint getting two years...

Every sport has been given an “extra” year. The fall sports all of which are competing now or just finished competing have gotten an extra year just like the winters sports and the spring sports got last year back and depending on how the rest of this year plays out can be eligible for an extra year on top of getting last year back.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/08/21 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/KellyJekot/status/1380192216086417410

Graduate transfer (PA native but originally went to Villanova) Kelly Jekot returning for last year of eligibility with Penn State. Started for PSU at the beginning of this year but season was cut short due to injury.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/08/21 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jenna Staiti returning to Georgia. 2nd team All-ACC. Her 6th year of eligibility (she set out a year after transferring from Maryland).

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/08/21 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Jenna Staiti returning to Georgia. 2nd team All-ACC. Her 6th year of eligibility (she set out a year after transferring from Maryland).

Que Morrison is also returning for another year I believe.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/11/21 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A couple more:

Vivian Gray returning to Texas Tech, Aisha Sheppard staying at VT, and Krystal Leger-Walker is taking another year to play with her sister.

The last one makes me very happy.

Something's gotta give with LSU. With 3 graduates returning, 2 transfers, their returning underclassmen and incoming freshmen, Nikki's got 19 scholarships to deal with right now.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: