RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#6 Texas vs #1 South Carolina - 3/30/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Texas
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
South Carolina
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 11

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/30/21 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas has still not scored in the 4Q. Only one more possession...

As I type this, final shot attempt blocked.

Has a team ever been held scoreless in a quarter in the Elite 8?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/30/21 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Texas has still not scored in the 4Q. Only one more possession...

As I type this, final shot attempt blocked.

Has a team ever been held scoreless in a quarter in the Elite 8?

No team had ever been held scoreless in a quarter in the whole history of the tournament

PostPosted: 03/30/21 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It really looked like they just gave up...pretty early in the 4th.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/30/21 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecocks make the defensive statement: they only score 10 pts in the 4th quarter, but they hold Texas to ZERO 4th Qtr. points! The Gamecocks (26-4) win the Elite Eight match-up over Texas 62-34, and advance to their third Final Four in program history!!

Five Gamecocks score in double-digits, led by Zia Cooke with 16 points on 7-15 shooting, with 6 rebounds and 3 assists. Victaria Saxton added 12 pts on 6-8 shooting, with 8 rebounds, and Destanni Henderson added 12 pts as well, on 4-9 shooting, with 7 assists. Aliyah Boston only shot 2-11 from the field but was 6-6 at the line and scored 10 pts along with 8 boards, 2 blocks and 2 steals. And Laeticia Amihere, after doing little to nothing in the 1st half except picking up 2 fouls, scored all 10 of her points in the 2nd half on 5-8 shooting, with 8 rebounds and 8 blocks!!

Warren led the Longhorns with 13 pts on 5-8 shooting, with 5 rebounds. Charli Collier struggled all game, ending with 4 pts on 2-10 shooting, with 4 rebounds and 3 blocks.....

pilight

PostPosted: 03/30/21 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We still have a chance of two former WNBA players meeting in the finals as coaches

PostPosted: 03/30/21 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really think Texas left it all on the floor in the Maryland game. They just didn’t have anything left in the tank.

PostPosted: 03/30/21 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

34 points is a record low for the E8 or later

PostPosted: 03/30/21 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good luck to Charli at next level.

I think Vic And staff maxed the heck out of their coaching acumen to get this team to this point in the tourney. Looking forward to what he can do with his own recruits.

Dawn had her team primed for a dirty gritty battle.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/30/21 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I think Vic And staff maxed the heck out of their coaching acumen to get this team to this point in the tourney. Looking forward to what he can do with his own recruits.

Most DEFINITELY. In just one season, he accomplished what Aston probably never could have. He may not have a NC (yet), but he's already established himself as one of The Elites.

Kudos to The Gamecocks! Cool

PostPosted: 03/31/21 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had no doubt that the Gamecocks would succeed here. But, they need Littleton to score to help in the Stanford win. Stanford's bench gave them 21 points to SC 10 against Texas.

Congrats to Vic for making it to the Elite 8 in his first year. Albeit, I don't see it happening again next year with what's leaving the team - but the future is bright.

PostPosted: 03/31/21 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
I had no doubt that the Gamecocks would succeed here. But, they need Littleton to score to help in the Stanford win. Stanford's bench gave them 21 points to SC 10 against Texas.

Congrats to Vic for making it to the Elite 8 in his first year. Albeit, I don't see it happening again next year with what's leaving the team - but the future is bright.

Man, what a run by Schaefer. South Carolina controlled every part of that game.

I will say this: How on earth did Texas beat Maryland? How?

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/31/21 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I really think Texas left it all on the floor in the Maryland game. They just didn’t have anything left in the tank.

Same thing happened to Vic when MS ST beat UConn on the William shot, imo. Those kids had nothing left for South Carolina.

Anyone who wasn't sure Vic is a Top 5 coach- and I'm not sure how anyone paying attention couldn't have been- is now.

When we heard the news of him going to Texas, we knew it's just a matter of time before he wins the NC. Dude can coach.

Karen who?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/31/21 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Anyone who wasn't sure Vic is a Top 5 coach- and I'm not sure how anyone paying attention couldn't have been- is now.

Who's your top five?

PostPosted: 03/31/21 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Who's your top five?

In no specific order:

Vic
Geno
Tara
Kim
Dawn

And yours?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/31/21 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
pilight wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Who's your top five?

In no specific order:

Vic
Geno
Tara
Kim
Dawn

And yours?

I duuno. Lots of people would say Walz belongs in the group. Blair and Frese have actually won the big one. It's a tough call.

PostPosted: 03/31/21 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
pilight wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Who's your top five?

In no specific order:

Vic
Geno
Tara
Kim
Dawn

And yours?

I duuno. Lots of people would say Walz belongs in the group. Blair and Frese have actually won the big one. It's a tough call.

Walz is just outside mine. Frese, not so much. Personally, I give Vic a piece of Blair's NC at A&M, so he's in that winner's circle for me.

Tough call indeed, but fun throw around.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/31/21 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
pilight wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
pilight wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Who's your top five?

In no specific order:

Vic
Geno
Tara
Kim
Dawn

And yours?

Walz is just outside mine. Frese, not so much. Personally, I give Vic a piece of Blair's NC at A&M, so he's in that winner's circle for me.

Schaefer's offensive limitations hold him back for me. He just posted the lowest scoring game in the history of the E8. You may recall that the lowest scoring game in the history of the S16 was also a Schaefer team. Even his best teams have had significant issues getting the ball in the hole.

PostPosted: 03/31/21 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
pilight wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:
pilight wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Who's your top five?

In no specific order:

Vic
Geno
Tara
Kim
Dawn

And yours?

Schaefer's offensive limitations hold him back for me. He just posted the lowest scoring game in the history of the E8. You may recall that the lowest scoring game in the history of the S16 was also a Schaefer team. Even his best teams have had significant issues getting the ball in the hole.

True, but he didn't miss the shots. I think now that he wades in the deep Texas talent pool, he'll be able to recruit plenty of offense. We shall see.

Milks26

PostPosted: 03/31/21 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

huskiemaniac wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Same thing happened to Vic when MS ST beat UConn on the William shot, imo. Those kids had nothing left for South Carolina.

We can blame fatigue after an intense game all we want. But, MS St scored 67-55 in the 2017 tourney against SC. Texas 62-34. I think it boiled down to talent. Even though they lost MS St had more talent than Texas. Texas could've come in full strength and SC would've still won.

PostPosted: 03/31/21 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
34 points is a record low for the E8 or later

Laeticia Amihere had 10 pts, 8 rebounds, and 9 blocks (not 8 like I thought - I think she blocked the final shot attempt of the game for her 9th, that I missed) in only 17 minutes of playing time!!

She only played 2 minutes in the 1st half, and only had 1 rebound for her troubles. So minus that 1 rebound, everything else came after halftime.

During the 2 minutes Amihere was in the game, the score went from 14-4 to 16-4 Gamecocks.

Amihere returned to the game at the 5:13 mark of the 3rd Period, with the score 41-29 in Gamecock's favor.

The final points scored by Texas was a Audrey Warren 3-ptr. at the 2:28 mark of the 3rd Period. That brought the score to 46-34. South Carolina would hold Texas scoreless for the final 12:28 of the game, including the entire 4th Quarter.

In the 17 minutes that Amihere was in the game, Texas scores all of 5 points......

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/31/21 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

A mis-match of styles. Texas did lay everything they had on the court for the MD game, and probably had little left to do it again in back-to-back games.

But MD is not structured to play a physical half-court style of game. They try to out-run opposing defenses before those defenses can set up, and score on them, and they had great success with that. Shakira Austin and Olivia Owens transferred out for that reason.

And they played in a conference that was light on physical half-court defenses, and were able to shred what defenses there were.

In steps Texas and Vic Schaefer, who knows a thing or two about defenses, and they threw up obstacles in the way of the Terp's fast-break, and forced them play to Texas' terms, which MD is not built to do that. MD panicked, and lost the game.

But Dawn Staley knows a thing or two about defenses too. And USC still resides in the WBB conference that prides itself on physical defensive play more than free-flowing offenses. So that exposed the sparsity of Texas' offense. USC did to Texas what Maryland was not equipped to do to them, and Texas crumbled....

It was just a case of match-ups of styles - Texas' defensive style competed with MD's offensive style, while USC's styles - both defensive AND offensive - was better than Texas'......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: