RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#4 Indiana vs #3 Arizona - 3/29/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/29/21 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goddamn it if we're going to talk about Huskies in a thread with a Pac-12 team involved the topic better be UW

(now with spelling variations)
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/30/21 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
goddamn it if we're going to talk about Huskies in a thread with a Pac-12 team involved the topic better be UW

Ok here's that "UW topic on the Arizona game thread" you ordered! And surprise: it's another concept that gets me in my feels!

https://twitter.com/percyallen/status/1376739313333936128

Quote:
Washington women’s basketball could have had former Husky assistant Adia Barnes as its coach and she might have led UW to the Final Four if the Arizona job had opened one year later. Timing is everything.

🤡🔫

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/30/21 1:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the Wildcats. Another Pac-12 team makes their first FF4.
Fun and tense game. Indiana is a hell of a team though.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/30/21 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Adia and Arizona. Her and McDonald's post game interview was great. Anddddddd...I like their uniforms.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/30/21 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both teams gave it their all. Kudos to AZ and a nod to the Pac 12 -- possibly 50% of the FF! Cool

PostPosted: 03/30/21 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Adia to take an Arizona team from 9th place in the Pac-12 to the Final Four in 5 seasons in Tucson.

By comparison, it took Staley 7 seasons to get South Carolina into the Final Four, and with a heck of a lot more top level recruits along the way.

Bravo, Adia. I hope this leads to some success on the top tier recruiting trails this Summer.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/30/21 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Ok here's that "UW topic on the Arizona game thread" you ordered! And surprise: it's another concept that gets me in my feels!

https://twitter.com/percyallen/status/1376739313333936128

Quote:
Washington women’s basketball could have had former Husky assistant Adia Barnes as its coach and she might have led UW to the Final Four if the Arizona job had opened one year later. Timing is everything.

🤡🔫

Rolling Eyes When a coach takes her alma mater to the Final Four, it's just silly to keep speculating like that. If the Arizona job opened a year later and both schools offered her, guess where she would most likely be right now. At her alma mater.

UW content related to the Indiana-Arizona game: Mowins incorrectly stated that Plum played in the Final Four in her senior season.

Congrats to the Wildcats, well-deserved. Stanford has a chance to make it two Pac-12 teams in the Final Four, again.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/30/21 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
When a coach takes her alma mater to the Final Four, it's just silly to keep speculating like that

It happens so rarely that it's hard to generalize. The only other woman I know of who coached her alma mater to the F4 was Pokey Chatman, who did leave shortly thereafter but not for another college job.

PostPosted: 03/30/21 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:
When a coach takes her alma mater to the Final Four, it's just silly to keep speculating like that

It happens so rarely that it's hard to generalize. The only other woman I know of who coached her alma mater to the F4 was Pokey Chatman, who did leave shortly thereafter but not for another college job.

I know one male WBB coach who took his alma mater to the Final Four. Does that count?

PostPosted: 03/30/21 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
pilight wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:

I know one male WBB coach who took his alma mater to the Final Four. Does that count?

There have been a few. One even won a national championship.

PostPosted: 03/30/21 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
Rolling Eyes When a coach takes her alma mater to the Final Four, it's just silly to keep speculating like that.

Well it doesn't make me any less sad. Y'know what's really silly? The current state of our program. Sad Our Top 3 scorers from last season have just entered the Portal. No coach yet. The rumors ain't great. Forgive me if I've been pondering alternate realities a little too much lately. Rolling Eyes

Back to the topic of this thread,

It's absolutely incredible that in just 5 years' time, Barnes has managed to usurp Arizona State's Charli Turner Thorne & her 24 years as the wcbb coach with the highest accomplishment (a Final Four appearance) in the state. CTT has led the Sun Devils to 14 NCAA Tournament berths, all ending up short of the Final Four. This is the first actual Tournament berth Barnes has led Arizona to as head coach, and it has led to a Final Four appearance. Shocked Downright shocking when one thinks about just how bad Arizona's program was while CTT has been at ASU before Barnes became UA's coach.

Last edited by Stormeo on 03/30/21 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/30/21 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Getting back on track,

It's really interesting that in just 5 years' time, Barnes has managed to usurp Arizona State's Charli Turner Thorne & her 24 years as the wcbb coach with the highest accomplishment (a Final Four appearance) in the state. CTT has led the Sun Devils to 14 NCAA Tournament berths, all ending up short of the Final Four. This is the first actual Tournament berth Barnes has led Arizona to as head coach, and it has led to a Final Four appearance. Shocked

It is totally awesome, but it will also be interesting to see what she can do in the post Aari situation. They've now made a pretty high bar for themselves that will be difficult to follow up with once your superstar is gone. (how well you know that!) Still this should be really good for recruiting, and that's always a very very important part of the battle.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/30/21 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Getting back on track,

It's really interesting that in just 5 years' time, Barnes has managed to usurp Arizona State's Charli Turner Thorne & her 24 years as the wcbb coach with the highest accomplishment (a Final Four appearance) in the state. CTT has led the Sun Devils to 14 NCAA Tournament berths, all ending up short of the Final Four. This is the first actual Tournament berth Barnes has led Arizona to as head coach, and it has led to a Final Four appearance. Shocked

It is totally awesome, but it will also be interesting to see what she can do in the post Aari situation. They've now made a pretty high bar for themselves that will be difficult to follow up with once your superstar is gone. (how well you know that!) Still this should be really good for recruiting, and that's always a very very important part of the battle.

Outsiders didn't even think Iowa would be an NCAA tournament team in the years immediately following the post-Gustafson era. Then Czinano emerged as one of the nation's leading FG% shooters, Kathleen Doyle is named B1G POY, we land Caitlin Clark as a 5-star recruit, and now we are back in the Sweet-16.

All that to say: I can see good things on the horizon for AZ. Mr. Green

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/30/21 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I do think that unlike CTT, Barnes knows that she can only win/succeed in this type of way with top talent. Getting Cate Reese who was a Top-20 or Top-15 recruit the year that McDonald was still redshirting (and so Arizona was still quite bad) seems to have been completely Barnes' doing, for example. And the roster since Barnes has arrived has had quite a bit of international flavor to it as well. I think if anything, the 'cats now have a chance to legitimately become an annual title contender – not starting next year, but possibly the years following it depending on how Barnes goes about replacing McDonald.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/30/21 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Getting back on track,

I love it. I bet you that if Adia does things correctly, she could get some Sothern California kids to go to Tucson. I mean, Lute Olsen built a powerhouse men's program and I'm willing to bet that Arizona doesn't have a large pool of high-caliber players to choose from. She needs to start with getting big recruits semi-regionally and then then recruiting nationally will come. I mean, what college kid wouldn't want to spend their 4 years in Arizona's climate?

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/30/21 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

out of curiousity I went to look at recruiting. Adia has the #18 hoopgurlz in 2022. A PG from Florida who says she models her game after Chennedy Carter! Shocked A Raoal article on her saying she's averaging 36 Ppg and 15 Rebs (in January) https://wbbblog.com/kailyn-gilbert/ (no mention of assists)

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/30/21 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:
Rolling Eyes When a coach takes her alma mater to the Final Four, it's just silly to keep speculating like that.

Well it doesn't make me any less sad. Y'know what's really silly? The current state of our program. Sad Our Top 3 scorers from last season have just entered the Portal. No coach yet. The rumors ain't great. Forgive me if I've been pondering alternate realities a little too much lately. Rolling Eyes

Believe me, I feel your pain. I didn't mean to roll my eyes at you, but rather at Percy Allen's spin.

I like to think about it this way: Maybe McGuff stays and we consistently make the tournament - but we don't reach the Final Four. Well, maybe we don't know what we are missing, but I for one will never forget that trip to Indianapolis. Before the tournament started, we were given 0.2% of a chance to get that far. That was fun. We can get back there, with the right coach.

Stormeo wrote:
Back to the topic of this thread,

It's absolutely incredible that in just 5 years' time, Barnes has managed to usurp Arizona State's Charli Turner Thorne & her 24 years as the wcbb coach with the highest accomplishment (a Final Four appearance) in the state. CTT has led the Sun Devils to 14 NCAA Tournament berths, all ending up short of the Final Four. This is the first actual Tournament berth Barnes has led Arizona to as head coach, and it has led to a Final Four appearance. Shocked Downright shocking when one thinks about just how bad Arizona's program was while CTT has been at ASU before Barnes became UA's coach.

Arizona was once a great program. Sadly, a player died from a misdiagnosed PE and then Joan Bonvicini (head coach at the time) couldn't get the program past it. It was difficult to see Arizona struggle so much in the aftermath.

I didn't know what we would see from the Wildcats when they hired Coach Barnes. She had such little experience at the time - for much of her time at UW, she was kind of a part-time assistant coach as she spent summers doing radio for the Storm. This is pretty impressive. I get the feeling that she is building something at Arizona.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/30/21 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
Believe me, I feel your pain. I didn't mean to roll my eyes at you, but rather at Percy Allen's spin.

Ahh, gotcha. Sorry for thinking that was aimed at me. Embarassed Still, imo it would've been an interesting choice to make – keeping Washington up vs. building Arizona back up – had Barnes had to make it. She had been living in Seattle for much of the time since she was on the Storm roster – who really knows how that would've shaken out.

bcdawg04 wrote:
I like to think about it this way: Maybe McGuff stays and we consistently make the tournament - but we don't reach the Final Four. Well, maybe we don't know what we are missing, but I for one will never forget that trip to Indianapolis. Before the tournament started, we were given 0.2% of a chance to get that far. That was fun. We can get back there, with the right coach.

Yeah, if McGuff had stayed, none of this probably happens, and the program stays a good one (though not a great one). Although tasting the forbidden fruit of a Final Four, only to have it dramatically distanced in a short amount of time, certainly changes one's perspective on things... but anyway, that (and really all of this) is a discourse for a different thread – perhaps at a less painful time...

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/30/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was my bad. Sorry, I should have been more clear that I was rolling my eyes at Percy Allen.

Neighbors didn't build anything at Washington. Barnes's choice would have been to rebuild UW or rebuild Arizona.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: