RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#5 Georgia Tech vs #1 South Carolina - 3/28/21
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Georgia Tech
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
South Carolina
85%
 85%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 14

Shades

PostPosted: 03/25/21 9:24 pm    ::: #5 Georgia Tech vs #1 South Carolina - 3/28/21 Reply Reply with quote

NCAA Tournament
Hemisfair Regional Semifinal
San Antonio, TX - 1:00 PM ET

TV: ABC (Beth Mowins, Debbie Antonelli)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/c46a541e-9a5d-4d10-97c7-68957fd720bb#bucketId=1 (tvpli)

Audio:
https://gamecocksonline.com/showcase?Live=630

Live stats:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401311236

https://www.ncaa.com/game/5799536

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 03/29/21 12:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/26/21 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've posted this elsewhere, but both South Carolina and Georgia Tech started their programs in the modern eras in 1974. The schools are 215 miles apart, and their athletics programs have ducked and dodged each other from the Metro conference to the ACC, and have also both been in the Southern Conference and SEC at various times.

And yet neither WBB program has played each other before: this will be the first contest ever between the two teams....

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/26/21 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
I've posted this elsewhere, but both South Carolina and Georgia Tech started their programs in the modern eras in 1974. The schools are 215 miles apart, and their athletics programs have ducked and dodged each other from the Metro conference to the ACC, and have also both been in the Southern Conference and SEC at various times.

And yet neither WBB program has played each other before: this will be the first contest ever between the two teams....

Cool! I didn't know this. Do you know why they've never scheduled each other? I don't know much about how that stuff works.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/27/21 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Cool! I didn't know this. Do you know why they've never scheduled each other? I don't know much about how that stuff works.

If there is any specific reason why they haven't played, I have no knowledge of it. Both schools have passed each other like ships at sea from one conference to another - we were both in the old Southern Conference that most of the SEC and ACC schools were in, before they all split up in the 30's (SEC) and 50's (ACC) - GT was part of the SEC and USC was part of the ACC.

Georgia Tech left the SEC in 1964 due to conflicts between their hall of fame football coach Bobby Dodd having a grudge with Alabama's Bear Bryant. South Carolina likewise left the ACC in 1970 due to conflicts with the Tobacco Road schools in NC which ran the conference. Both schools would become independent.

Of course, this has little to do with the WBB programs of both athletic departments, which was initiated as AD-sponsored programs in 1974. In 1975, the Metro Conference was created, and GT was a charter member for both BB programs, while USC was invited then but declined due to trying to reverse their actions and rejoin the ACC, which never happened.

GT would only be in the Metro for 3 seasons and left in 1978 to join the ACC, while USC would ultimately accept joining the Metro in 1983, only to leave in 1992 to join the SEC.

So while both schools played the pea in the shell game, that didn't prevent both WBB programs to schedule against each other all these years, and it really would've been easy to do with how close to each other they are, and they are P5 programs.

But they didn't just the same, and I have no idea why - we've played against each other in most all other sports even in more modern times, and there hasn't been any animosity or bad feelings that I know of between both athletic departments like there have been between USC and Miami, UNC, etc. It's just been something that developed over time....

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 03/28/21 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem with Georgia Tech in any non-revenue sport at South Carolina is Atlanta is a 3-and-half to four hour bus ride from Columbia . A little too far for a midweek game . Not quite far enough for the administration to want to fund a charter flight . We very seldom schedule them in baseball or softball either during the week . Occasionally play in the same weekend tournaments .

Dawn and Nell Fortner are old friends ( Nell was assistant coach on some of the Olympic teams when Dawn played ) . It wouldn't surprise me to see them work something out in the future where the teams play each other in a tournament .

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 03/28/21 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

deleted duplicate post

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/28/21 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tech getting quality looks, and have already missed 3 or so layups Mad

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/28/21 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecocks take the 19-16 lead after the 1st Quarter. Zia Cooke led the way with 8 pts....

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/28/21 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

C'mon, you Rambling Wreck. Finish off the SEC.

(I have no beef with South Carolina, or even the SEC in general, I just think it would be hilarious if the SEC got knocked out of the tournament that fast.)

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 03/28/21 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
C'mon, you Rambling Wreck. Finish off the SEC.

(I have no beef with South Carolina, or even the SEC in general, I just think it would be hilarious if the SEC got knocked out of the tournament that fast.)

if Tech loses the ACC could be done today

PostPosted: 03/28/21 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Questionable call on Cubaj, IMO.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/28/21 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love McQueen's hair! It reminds me of a firework exploding. So fun! : Very Happy

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/28/21 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brought back memories of Arike Ogunbowale's shots.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/28/21 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boston with 0 points and 2 rebounds in the 1H. Yet Cocks shooting 53% with the lead.
Conway Gamecock

Gamecocks lead 39-35 at the half. Aliyah Boston went scoreless in the 1st half going 0-4 with 2 fouls. Zia Cooke leads the way with 11 pts, and reserve Laeticia Amihere has 10 pts. Lahtinen has 16 pts for the Yellow Jackets....

singinerd54

Lahtinen has been the best player on the floor, and looks really smooth.

Feels a bit like Michigan yesterday, in that Tech can keep it close, but can they make a run to take the lead and put on some actual pressure?

The fact that Tech is only down four when SC is shooting 55% from the floor and 62% from 3 is encouraging, but the little mistakes of wide open shots (Beal's layup, Cooke's 3) need to be cut down. Realistically, Tech isn't going to shoot 83% from 3 for the game.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/28/21 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Antonelli knows there's another team on the floor Rolling Eyes (edited: originally thought it was Peck.)

Officiating that favors the higher seed continues (Boston's elbow to get around Cubaj).

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/28/21 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecocks out-score the Yellow Jackets 23-15 in the 3rd Period to extend their lead to 62-50 after 3 quarters of play. Gamecocks shooting 59% on the game, and 60% from the three......

SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/28/21 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gained a lot of respect for GA Tech today regardless of outcome. I never got to watch them all season, but impress with their play. Before today, I couldn't name a single player from their team if you said one to me

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/28/21 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GT not going away!!!

pilight

PostPosted: 03/28/21 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn Staley just took her mask all the way off. Where are the people clambering for a tech?

PostPosted: 03/28/21 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
Feels a bit like Michigan yesterday, in that Tech can keep it close, but can they make a run to take the lead and put on some actual pressure?

Unsurprisingly, the answer was no. Kudos to Tech for keeping it close(r than I expected).

Last edited by singinerd54 on 03/28/21 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/28/21 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Dawn Staley just took her mask all the way off. Where are the people clambering for a tech?

*Comes bursting through the doors, out of breath* Sorry *gasp*, sorry, I’m late cuz I honestly didn’t care about this game, but I’m here! Yes, she should’ve gotten a tech! Mr. Green

Last edited by Stormeo on 03/28/21 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/28/21 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I didn't think anyone was serious about that yesterday lol.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/28/21 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:

Unsurprisingly, the answer was no. Kudos to Tech for keeping it close(r than I expected).

Amen to that! And kudos to Nell for what she’s done with the Tech program which was pretty much in shambles when she picked it up. But I keep forgetting how young the SC team is. They can only get even better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: