RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Thank you rebkell posters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/28/21 1:01 pm    ::: Thank you rebkell posters Reply Reply with quote

As the college season nears the end, I just wanted to post my thanks to y'all who make this place a great place to hang out. I'm grateful for a disparate group of real fans, both of our own team(s) as well as the game itself. I don't always agree with you (especially Howee) but do appreciate and respect thoughts, ideas, discussions, and even disagreements. It makes me smile, so shout out and good luck, except when you play my Trees.

Thanks!

- Amanda Gorman
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/28/21 7:17 pm    ::: Re: Thank you rebkell posters Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
As the college season nears the end, I just wanted to post my thanks to y'all who make this place a great place to hang out. I'm grateful for a disparate group of real fans, both of our own team(s) as well as the game itself. I don't always agree with you (especially Howee) but do appreciate and respect thoughts, ideas, discussions, and even disagreements. It makes me smile, so shout out and good luck, except when you play my Trees.

Thanks!

Likewise, and here's hoping we do, soon. Smile

Howee

PostPosted: 03/31/21 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hereby second The Emotions expressed above. Only a pro fan-in-passing, my heart is always with the college kids. And now, as the end of our season is on the horizon, I think back with:

A. Gratitude that our government and society have, collectively, done enough to resume some semblance of normalcy in the sports we love (and society at large).

B. Appreciation for what *we* are blessed with, in contrast to places where the big concerns are where to get their next meal, not the station that has the next game on.

C. Fondness for all....okay, MOST of you (except Myrtle*) that provide me with ongoing entertainment and insights galore.

*For Myrtle, it's really about that wretched Love-Hate relationship we all remember from Jr. High. She KNOWS she adores and admires me, but she can only be mean to me. Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 03/31/21 7:11 am    ::: Re: Thank you rebkell posters Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Thanks!

This is great. I've been a poster on boards since the old ESPN boards. I'm in the restaurant business in NY. Our industry has been decimated the past year. I've had to lay off an entire staff twice, once right before Christmas, I've gone months without much pay, and I've not known what my future holds and been through some catastrophic stress. This board, and fully engrossing my entire thought process in women's basketball, became my sanctuary. It was and is, a great escape from the rigors of my tragic professional life. My fandom may lie with UCONN and I'm extremely defensive of my team and players, but I love this boards diversity and smart fans. Seriously. I'm too emotional for twitter. HA!

I seriously can't even believe we are having a Final Four. That in and of itself, is pretty spectacular. Good luck to everyone, always, except when you play my Huskies.

Go UCONN!

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/31/21 9:24 am    ::: Re: Thank you rebkell posters Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
This is great. I've been a poster on boards since the old ESPN boards. I'm in the restaurant business in NY. Our industry has been decimated the past year. I've had to lay off an entire staff twice, once right before Christmas, I've gone months without much pay, and I've not known what my future holds and been through some catastrophic stress. This board, and fully engrossing my entire thought process in women's basketball, became my sanctuary. It was and is, a great escape from the rigors of my tragic professional life. My fandom may lie with UCONN and I'm extremely defensive of my team and players, but I love this boards diversity and smart fans. Seriously. I'm too emotional for twitter. HA!

I seriously can't even believe we are having a Final Four. That in and of itself, is pretty spectacular. Good luck to everyone, always, except when you play my Huskies.

Go UCONN!

Sorry to hear about your struggles. I can't imagine how tough the past year+ has been on so many restaurants. I have made it a point to eat out a little more often over the past few months to try and do my part to help as best as I can. I wish you the best of luck and hope it gets better for you, your family and your staff.

Your last part really hit me, the part about can't believe we are even having a Final Four. In one of the threads about the disparities between the men's and the women's situations, I got a little defensive of everyone always being negative. This is why. I mean, yeah, there are things that need discussing for sure. But gee whiz, how about some props go out for what the NCAA DID and has been able to do instead of what they did NOT do. It is friggin amazing that this season and this tournament happened. Amazing. In the midst of a global pandemic, they are on the brink of pulling of the event that so many of us love and quite frankly, something we all NEEDED! From a sanity perspective to a hope perspective, they delivered. In a big way. I know people will say they did it for the money, etc and yeah, the NCAA needed some revenue after losing so much last year, but who cares. They gave you, me and everyone else on here what we wanted and needed. Can you imagine going a 2nd consecutive year without the NCAA Tournament?

Anyway, I also echo what myrtle said in her original post. I know we all have disagreements, but life would be so boring if we all just agreed with each other. I appreciate the very different viewpoints everyone brings to the table and I have changed my opinion on things from others pointing stuff out from a different angle.

Best of luck to UConn, South Carolina, Stanford and Arizona in their quests for a national title.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/31/21 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who makes, and has made, this board what it is ...

I look forward to logging on every day.

PostPosted: 04/04/21 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks y'all. So sad the season is over.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/04/21 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks,everyone. I really miss this place in the off-season.

PostPosted: 04/05/21 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Echo all the above sentiments. Especially over the past year it’s been comforting, well, most of the time, to be part of this community. I really have to one outside of you all who will even talk about women’s athletics in a civil, respectful, or knowledgeable manner.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/05/21 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another echo from me. This is the best place to find WCBB info that's not focused or biased on one team.

CompSci87

PostPosted: 04/06/21 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems the UConn general WBB board is going to enforce a "no game threads" rule. They started enforcing it in the middle of the Stanford/Arizona game (!).

Maybe that will send more traffic over here. Sure would be nice to have a software upgrade, though... :P

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/06/21 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
It seems the UConn general WBB board is going to enforce a "no game threads" rule. They started enforcing it in the middle of the Stanford/Arizona game (!).

Maybe that will send more traffic over here. Sure would be nice to have a software upgrade, though... Razz

This is a hoot. Why?

CompSci87

PostPosted: 04/06/21 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
CompSci87 wrote:

Maybe that will send more traffic over here. Sure would be nice to have a software upgrade, though... :P

This is a hoot. Why?

The person who said this is the rule then immediately closed the thread that had been started to ask about it, without saying why. https://the-boneyard.com/threads/rules-question-why-was-arizona-stanford-thread-closed.170957/

It's been the rule for a year or more that there are not to be any UConn game threads on their main board, but Shades has been starting game threads for all interesting games on their general board ever since it was created, and nothing was said about that until now. So it's a puzzle.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/06/21 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:

Maybe that will send more traffic over here. Sure would be nice to have a software upgrade, though... Razz

Hmmm.....and what have YOU been doing, lurking over there Mr. Stanford?? Shocked Razz Laughing

(I don't know about anybody else, but Reb's is 'bout all I can handle! Cool )

PostPosted: 04/08/21 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
CompSci87 wrote:

Hmmm.....and what have YOU been doing, lurking over there Mr. Stanford?? Shocked Razz Laughing

(I don't know about anybody else, but Reb's is 'bout all I can handle! Cool )

There's been way more activity on their general WBB board (for posts about teams other than UConn) than here. Maybe too much for you to handle, though! Razz

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/08/21 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:

More UConn fans. Sure. Okay. Something we totally needed.

(now with spelling variations)
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/08/21 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
CompSci87 wrote:

More UConn fans. Sure. Okay. Something we totally needed.

Yes, this once dominant but now moribund board needs all the active participants it can get before it completely dies from heart failure, lack of nutrition, transfers-out, inattention or irrelevance.

CompSci is talking about the General Women's Basketball subforum on the Boneyard, which features non-UConn game threads that attract a lot of non-UConn posters. Since Shades starts most of the non-UConn game threads there, he would have the best feel as to the relative participation levels.
CompSci87

PostPosted: 04/10/21 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are a lot of non-UConn fans in the Boneyard general WBB subforum, some very active posters. The UConn fans posting in the BYGWBBSF have been rather polite, with not too much UConn hubris. Really it's been the kind of active discussion that this board is for.

If they enforce the no game threads rule next season, that may put a crimp in things for other fans, though.

When the BYGWBBSF started, I posted there asking why people didn't come here instead. I got a least one answer saying they tried to sign up but couldn't. Not much other response.

Basically I think it's partly a critical mass issue, and partly a moderation issue. There are a lot of people actively posting there even if the majority are fans of one team. Plus the mods are pretty quick to deal with people who get nasty.

CompSci87

PostPosted: 04/10/21 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I should say that RebKell still is way ahead on WNBA posts. The BYGWBBSF is 99% college.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/10/21 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
I should say that RebKell still is way ahead on WNBA posts. The BYGWBBSF is 99% college.

Makes sense. Reb founded this as primarily a WNBA board.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: