RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Geno Press Conference 3/25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/26/21 1:36 pm    ::: Geno Press Conference 3/25 Reply Reply with quote

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/genos-press-conference-3-25-21.170428/

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/26/21 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I listened to this yesterday while walking my dog lol. His thoughts on the pros and cons of playing the early rounds of the NCAA tournament on neutral courts are interesting. (Summary: He thinks it's a great idea, but he's not entirely for it because he wants to make sure the games have a lot of fans, and he's not sure that would happen for some women's games at neutral sites.)

I take his comments with a grain of salt, since his program will always be top-seeded, therefore will always benefit from the advantage. From UConn's perspective, there's nothing to gain from making this change. Kinda like Geno's comments on not wanting the Big East tournament to be played this year, when his program had nothing to gain but everything to lose from it.

Without conference tournaments, Depaul probably would have been granted an at-large NCAA berth over BYU, because BYU performed well in the WCC tourney while Depaul performed poorly. Depaul probably would have lost in the first round, while BYU was just a couple possessions away from making the Sweet 16.

It's actually kind of hilarious that Geno didn't want the conference tournament played because he was worried it would put his players at higher risk for COVID, and then he is the one that got COVID after all, unrelated to the tournament. (Edit: I hope this doesn't come across as me laughing at someone for getting sick. I don't mean that and I'm glad he's better now. I'm just pointing out the irony.)

(Second edit: I thought it was funny when Geno roasted his players for only being 'excited' at his return so they could post a fun video on instagram or whatever. Laughing )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: