RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#7 Alabama vs #2 Maryland - 3/24/21
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/24/21 12:12 am    ::: #7 Alabama vs #2 Maryland - 3/24/21 Reply Reply with quote

NCAA Tournament Second Round
Hemisfair Region
San Antonio, TX - 1:00 PM ET

TV: ESPN2 (Eric Frede, Tamika Catchings)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=cf17f6d8-78d0-4a6f-bcfb-25ff5318704a (tvpli)

Audio:
https://tunein.com/radio/Alabama-Womens-Basketball-s308156/

Live stats:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401311234

https://www.ncaa.com/game/5799525

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 03/24/21 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/24/21 12:19 pm    ::: Re: #7 Alabama vs #2 Maryland - 3/24/21 Reply Reply with quote

Man, this Maryland team is good.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/24/21 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welp, Alabama, it was a great season!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/24/21 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Owusu hasn't even scored yet ... Shocked

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/24/21 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I look at Benzan's height, hair, and 3PT ability and sometimes I forget that that's not Destiny Slocum. Embarassed

Maryland was a good program for Mimi Collins (well, all of Maryland's transfers, but specifically Collins) to transfer to. This might be a sore subject, but I really don't know if she would've developed at Tennessee, at least offensively in this way. Easy to look good on offense playing for Maryland though, to be fair.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/24/21 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, this is disappointing. I thought Bama would put up a better fight. They’re just flat.

PostPosted: 03/24/21 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing my butt off watching another big ten team's offensive barrage that the SEC's heralded defense and physicality has no answer for.

Edit: Funnily enough, Maryland's starting line-up features two SEC transfers in Chloe Bibby and Mimi Collins.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/24/21 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The B10 domination of the SEC continues

PostPosted: 03/24/21 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Barring any upsets (which would be exciting in their own right!), I am so looking forward to Maryland vs. South Carolina.

osubeavers

PostPosted: 03/24/21 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tamika’s commentary is very good but I really have a hard time appreciating it through her speech impediment. Professional announcers should be able to ennunciate clearly. I hope she’s working on improving it. For the sake of her audience and for her own career in broadcasting.

Last edited by osubeavers on 03/24/21 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/24/21 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Terps will always be ACC in my mind. Smile

BamaEd

PostPosted: 03/24/21 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Laughing my butt off watching another big ten team's offensive barrage that the SEC's heralded defense and physicality has no answer for.

Edit: Funnily enough, Maryland's starting line-up features two SEC transfers in Chloe Bibby and Mimi Collins.

Laugh all you want, but my Bama team made it to the tournament for the first time since 1999. That was also the last time they had 2 seasons of .500 or above in conference. Kristy Curry has this team trending upward finally after not trending that way this century.

So you can laugh at overall conference things, but I'm proud of what those 3 seniors brought to my alma mater Smile

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/24/21 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Laugh all you want, but my Bama team made it to the tournament for the first time since 1999. That was also the last time they had 2 seasons of .500 or above in conference. Kristy Curry has this team trending upward finally after not trending that way this century.

So you can laugh at overall conference things, but I'm proud of what those 3 seniors brought to my alma mater :)

And you should be. They are a very talented team that made great strides forward. Hopefully they can stay competitive in the SEC.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 03/24/21 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
Tamika’s commentary is very good but I really have a hard time appreciating it through her speech impediment. Professional announcers should be able to annunciate clearly. I hope she’s working on improving it. For the sake of her audience and for her own career in broadcasting.

I don't think it's really appropriate to say that Catchings has a speech "impediment" without appreciating that she was born with significant hearing loss; not being able to hear affects how one speaks. Since childhood, she's really had to overcome enormous hurdles because of her hearing loss.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/24/21 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

So you can laugh at overall conference things, but I'm proud of what those 3 seniors brought to my alma mater Smile

They've had a truly incredible season. Congratulations!! One loss at the end of the season definitely doesn't change that. Maryland has done the same thing to my teams this season Smile

Last edited by undersized_post on 03/24/21 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/24/21 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
osubeavers wrote:
Tamika’s commentary is very good but I really have a hard time appreciating it through her speech impediment. Professional announcers should be able to annunciate clearly. I hope she’s working on improving it. For the sake of her audience and for her own career in broadcasting.

I don't think it's really appropriate to say that Catchings has a speech "impediment" without appreciating that she was born with significant hearing loss; not being able to hear affects how one speaks. Since childhood, she's really had to overcome enormous hurdles because of her hearing loss.

+1

Osubeaver---how about you just get over it? It's so ableist to act like you are somehow enduring hardship just by having to listen to her voice. She is the one who has faced the hardship. Have some compassion. Will people with disabilities ever be able to just *exist* in society without everyone else acting like they are somehow inconvenienced by it? She is simply speaking with the voice that she was born with. It is beautiful and she is great at what she does, both in basketball and now in broadcasting.

osubeavers

PostPosted: 03/24/21 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
osubeavers wrote:

+1

Osubeaver---how about you just get over it? It's so ableist to act like you are somehow enduring hardship just by having to listen to her voice. She is the one who has faced the hardship. Have some compassion. Will people with disabilities ever be able to just *exist* in society without everyone else acting like they are somehow inconvenienced by it? She is simply speaking with the voice that she was born with. It is beautiful and she is great at what she does, both in basketball and now in broadcasting.

Isn’t this entire tournament (and sport of basketball for that matter) an exercise in “ableism”? We are watching the most extraordinarily “able” players compete against and defeat one other in order to determine a single “Champion” team. Countless hours are spent by these elite athletes in training and practice to sharpen and enhance those competitive “abilities”.

I didn’t know Tamika’s “backstory”. I don’t know any of the announcers’ backstories.

As I noted, I appreciate her commentary and her knowledge. I’ll try to “just get over it” as you kindly suggest.

PostPosted: 03/24/21 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think its time people start looking at MD as the 5th #1 seed

PostPosted: 03/24/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It's about time!😁

PostPosted: 03/24/21 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel Reese is very athletic and coordinated for her size. And I was actually thinking "for a center" as she was posting up. But I looked at the roster and while she is listed 6'3", her position is guard/forward. The tallest player in the game was a guard/forward. Diamond Miller is also listed as 6'3" but doesn't appear as tall as Reese. But she is listed as a guard. Maryland doesn't have anyone with a roster position of center. Their starting center, 6'1" listed Chloe Bibby is shown as a guard/forward. Mimi Collins is listed as a 6'3" forward, but that should be small forward the way she plays. All those 6'1"+ players running the floor makes for an impressive highlight reel.

Last edited by tfan on 03/24/21 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/24/21 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Angel Reese is very athletic and coordinated for her size. And I was actually thinking "for a center" as she was posting up. But I looked at the roster and while she is listed 6'3" and her position is guard/forward. The tallest player in the game was a guard/forward. Diamond Miller is also listed as 6'3" but doesn't appear as tall as Reese. But she is listed as a guard. Maryland doesn't have anyone with a roster position of center. Their starting center, 6'1" listed Chloe Bibby is shown as a guard/forward. Mimi Collins is listed as a 6'3" forward, but that should be small forward the way she plays.

Overall they are all obviously quite versatile. But I agree with you that Reese should be listed as C/F, not F/G.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/25/21 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
tfan wrote:
Angel Reese is very athletic and coordinated for her size. And I was actually thinking "for a center" as she was posting up. But I looked at the roster and while she is listed 6'3" and her position is guard/forward. The tallest player in the game was a guard/forward. Diamond Miller is also listed as 6'3" but doesn't appear as tall as Reese. But she is listed as a guard. Maryland doesn't have anyone with a roster position of center. Their starting center, 6'1" listed Chloe Bibby is shown as a guard/forward. Mimi Collins is listed as a 6'3" forward, but that should be small forward the way she plays.

Overall they are all obviously quite versatile. But I agree with you that Reese should be listed as C/F, not F/G.

My understanding is that college teams try not to list players as centers; the explanation I heard, though take with the appropriate quantity of NaCl, is that being pigeonholed as a center is detrimental to a player's overseas prospects. It was immensely frustrating when playing fantasy on these here boards.

(now with spelling variations)
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/25/21 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Angel Reese is very athletic and coordinated for her size. And I was actually thinking "for a center" as she was posting up. But I looked at the roster and while she is listed 6'3", her position is guard/forward. The tallest player in the game was a guard/forward. Diamond Miller is also listed as 6'3" but doesn't appear as tall as Reese. But she is listed as a guard. Maryland doesn't have anyone with a roster position of center. Their starting center, 6'1" listed Chloe Bibby is shown as a guard/forward. Mimi Collins is listed as a 6'3" forward, but that should be small forward the way she plays. All those 6'1"+ players running the floor makes for an impressive highlight reel.

Doesn't everyone lie about their height? Wink

PostPosted: 03/25/21 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
tfan wrote:

Doesn't everyone lie about their height? Wink

I always get a kick out of seeing some players listed at 6'2" towering over someone listed at 6'4". It's not always the schools or coaches making that decision. And it goes both ways. Some tall women prefer not to be listed as tall as they are. For instance, my niece, who is 6'3" always insisted on being listed as 6'1"

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/25/21 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Reese should be listed as C/F, not F/G.

Funny thing is, Princeton’s Bella Alarie seemed to fall in the same category. With her, she was listed as a “G/F” while at Princeton, but then was changed to a “C/F” when she got to the pros. Seems that she got re-evaluated – or, perhaps, properly evaluated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: