RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

jeopardy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 02/02/21 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The six o'clock news said that Ken Jennings was in the middle of his sixth week (not true) , or maybe it was middle of six week guest host segment. Then they announced that Dr. Oz., Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Anderson Cooper and Savannah Guthrie would also guest host.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/03/21 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't normally make a point of not watching Jeopardy, but I think I'll make sure the DVR's off when Dr. Oz is hosting.

(now with spelling variations)
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/03/21 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of these people already have full-time gigs, so maybe they're looking for a group of hosts to rotate in. I'm sure they're checking ratings to see which of these candidates draw in the most viewers.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/12/21 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brayden Smith, the champion during AT's last shows has died. He was 24. Shocked
Quote:
"We are heartbroken to share that our dear Brayden Smith recently passed away unexpectedly," she wrote. "We are so grateful that Brayden was able to live out his dream on @jeopardy."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/02/12/five-time-jeopardy-champion-brayden-smith-dies-unexpectedly-24/6744537002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
tfan

PostPosted: 02/23/21 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I get the impression this Jeopardy executive producer (joined the show sometime in 2020) Mike Richards wants the job, even though he offered some excuse of having to do an emergency fill in because Ken Jennings was tied up doing The Chase and all the other coming guest hosts were reluctant to fly to LA in the pandemic. His praise of Trebek is as strong as it could be. Tonight he said something about trying to live each day or try and do things the way Alex would have. Which seemed like ingratiation, but it also could be legit. He has an executive producer background but also has hosting experience:

Quote:
In addition to his work behind the scenes, Richards has experience in front of the camera. After graduating college, Richards was a stand-up comedian, which led to offers to serve as a host for multiple pilots. He hosted the WB's “High School Reunion,” and later was the host of the reality phenomenon “Beauty and the Geek” for the CW. During that time, he also hosted a movie news show called “Dailies” that launched the Reelz channel. More recently, he hosted the 2012 revival of “The Pyramid” and the Game Show Network’s 2016-2017 version of “Divided,” which was part game show and part social experiment.

https://www.jeopardy.com/about/cast/mike-richards

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/08/21 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Couric is guest hosting. This will be hard. I never liked her. Always seemed fake to me.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/09/21 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw the producer host recently and I thought he was pretty dang good...better than Ken Jennings.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/09/21 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So far it feels like Jennings is the most Trebek-like, Richards is the most traditionally game-show-host-esque, and Couric is coming off as best suited to hosting the teen tournament.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/09/21 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree Jenning slowly grew on me, and kept the focus on the questions.
Richards I thought was great his first few games and as time went on I began to find him a little annoying, his constant "sincerity" and upbeat quality that I initially found very appealing sort or wore on me by the end. Couric is nice and had a big improvement from day 1 to day 2 IMO but she just doesn't seem like the right fit. I am surprised because she is a TV personality but I can feel and see her effort to succeed and be liked which is a little disconcerting. She still has time to improve. It is a hard gig to relax into.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/09/21 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Couric does a very professional job

PostPosted: 03/19/21 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Couric really grew on me over the course of her two weeks.

Looking forward to see who is next.

Who is next?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/19/21 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Katie Couric really grew on me over the course of her two weeks.

Looking forward to see who is next.

Who is next?

I was just coming to post this. Smile Dr. Oz.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/03/19/jeopardy-dr-mehmet-oz-starts-his-run-guest-host-monday/4771246001/

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/19/21 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hated Katie Couric. She sounded very smug every time she said "Wrong," and her monotone is really a show killer. I hope they don't give her the job just because she's a woman.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/19/21 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I hated Katie Couric. She sounded very smug every time she said "Wrong," and her monotone is really a show killer. I hope they don't give her the job just because she's a woman.

This is sort of what I didn't like at first, but I got used to it, and she seemed very happy to be there.

With that said I don't view her as a permanent replacement, and I am not even sure if all the guest hosts are "auditioning" for the job, I am sure some are just doing it as a short term thing for fun or to raise their profile. Of the first three, for better or worse Jennings is the only one I believe is really in the running for the gig, unless the executive producer really got bitten by the experience and wants to give himself the job. I could be wrong but doesn't Couric already have a pretty full-time gig?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/21 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Couric was pretty stiff. She's not a natural at this.

PostPosted: 03/23/21 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lots of people speaking out against Dr. Oz.

Quote:
In past years, the TV doctor has come under scrutiny for peddling controversial medical advice to his fans and was scolded by a Senate panel in 2014 for hyping dubious weight-loss products. In 2015 a group of doctors sent a letter to Columbia University asking for his dismissal from the medical school's faculty. And in April 2020, after the arrival of the COVID-19 pandemic, Oz said he "misspoke" after saying on Fox News that "the opening of schools may only cost us 2% to 3%, in terms of total mortality" which "might be a trade-off some folks would consider."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/03/22/jeopardy-fans-criticize-dr-oz-guest-host-disgraceful/6959719002/

StevenHW

PostPosted: 03/23/21 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Quote:
In past years, the TV doctor has come under scrutiny for peddling controversial medical advice to his fans and was scolded by a Senate panel in 2014 for hyping dubious weight-loss products. In 2015 a group of doctors sent a letter to Columbia University asking for his dismissal from the medical school's faculty. And in April 2020, after the arrival of the COVID-19 pandemic, Oz said he "misspoke" after saying on Fox News that "the opening of schools may only cost us 2% to 3%, in terms of total mortality" which "might be a trade-off some folks would consider."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/03/22/jeopardy-fans-criticize-dr-oz-guest-host-disgraceful/6959719002/

Also...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/dr-oz-faces-backlash-ahead-of-jeopardy-gig-called-a-disgrace-to-alex-trebek-s-legacy/ar-BB1eQLYw?ocid=msedgdhp

I have wondered what was the basis for the producers for choosing these temporary hosts? I could understand Ken Jennings and possibly Katie Couric.

I think the producers only want a well-known celebrity to be a host, based on what is known as "Q Scores". But how many A-List show-biz celebrities get to host a game show (other than Regis Philbin and Howie Mandel).

PostPosted: 03/23/21 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Quote:

Here's the petition against him.
https://medium.com/@j.contestants.letter/a-letter-from-concerned-former-contestants-to-mike-richards-executive-producer-of-jeopardy-f2f8e2e53930

Twitter is being merciless with tweeters saying this is an insult to Alex Trebek's memory and boycotting the show until he's off.
"He is a snake oil salesman who needs to go away."
"This quack does not respect science and his stint here undermines @Jeopardy's credibility."
"...the ultimate TV quack responsible for promoting the worst kinds of pseudoscience..."
"So the questions and answers will all be a hoax?"
"I’ll take Dumb Decisions for $1000"

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/25/21 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guest hosts ranked. No surprises here. Other than the words of the link below doesn't match the article. "best-jennings-and-worst-oz" Someone should have read the article. 🤣

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/03/24/jeopardy-guest-hosts-best-jennings-and-worst-oz/6979413002/

tfan

PostPosted: 03/25/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Guest hosts ranked. No surprises here. Other than the words of the link below doesn't match the article. "best-jennings-and-worst-oz" Someone should have read the article. 🤣

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/03/24/jeopardy-guest-hosts-best-jennings-and-worst-oz/6979413002/

That article suggests that the new host must be witty to match Trebek. I can see saying that Pat Sajak is witty, but Alex Trebek never struck me that way. In fact, I considered Trebek a very serious game show host.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/06/21 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aaron Rodgers has a crazy plan: QB explains how he could host 'Jeopardy!' full-time while still playing in NFL

Quote:
"I don't think I'd need to give up football to do it," Rodgers said of hosting. "They film 46 days a year. I worked 187 this year in Green Bay. That gives me 178 days to do 'Jeopardy!' So I feel like I could fit 46 into that 178 and make it work. It would be a dream job for sure, and I'm not shy at all about saying I want the job. That's how I went into it. I want an opportunity to be in the mix."

pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/21 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Much like Ken Jennings it's going to take a while to get used to his accent. That laconic Northern California thing doesn't get heard on TV that often.

PostPosted: 04/06/21 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was assuming that he was nervous and popped a Valium or something before taping. You mean people really sound like that?

tfan

PostPosted: 04/06/21 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trebek got a 6.6 household rating his final week in January. Ken Jennings had a 6.2 rating his first week and 5.9 his second. Dr Oz had a 5.2 in his first week, the lowest of the guest hosts so far.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jeopardy-falls-lowest-ratings-since-164810465.html

Last edited by tfan on 04/07/21 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/06/21 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

That article suggests that the new host must be witty to match Trebek. I can see saying that Pat Sajak is witty, but Alex Trebek never struck me that way. In fact, I considered Trebek a very serious game show host.

The producers are sending Sajak on a sabbatical or something for mocking a contestant with a lisp and making a sexually suggestive joke to a female player. He’s also been pretty rude to Vanna. I think his host days are numbered.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: