RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Notre Dame & Racial Justice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/25/21 9:14 am    ::: Notre Dame & Racial Justice Reply Reply with quote

They've teamed with a local artist for a shirt and shoe design. They will be worn for the nationally televised game on Sunday with Louisville.

Hard to believe the "I Can't Breathe" shirts were just over 6 years ago.

Quote:
Every player chose a word or phrase for their shoes, from “BLM” to “Do More.” Perry hand-painted 17 pairs of shoes, from morning until night for weeks, in painstaking detail. All 17 began as plain white Under Armour basketball shoes, but with layers of paint, Perry turned them into a matte black. Each shoe was then hand-painted with Perry's own design of a fist in the shape of a beating heart in vibrant shades of red, blue and yellow.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/02/24/notre-dame-niele-ivey-racial-justice-shirts-shoes

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/25/21 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope that they sell the shirts. I'd buy one. And if they could do a thing where people could buy them with their team's jersey instead of ND...would be interesting to know if their would be demand for them.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/19/21 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just me, but some of these schools can stop playing schools like South Dakota State who's women's basketball team has only had one black player in AJ's 22 years as the coach. I don't count Bolden because Nieber recruited her. He said Shaunteva Ashley wasn't a good fit and passed on her..one of the best players in SD during the new millennium and became a multi-time All American at Augie. AJ's silence was deafening during the BLM movement when many women's coaches across the country were showing support. You want racial justice ND or any other program? Well start with WBB!!

(I still root for the Jacks..perhaps I need to practice what I preach as well)

pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/21 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Just me, but some of these schools can stop playing schools like South Dakota State who's women's basketball team has only had one black player in AJ's 22 years as the coach. I don't count Bolden because Nieber recruited her. He said Shaunteva Ashley wasn't a good fit and passed on her..one of the best players in SD during the new millennium and became a multi-time All American at Augie. AJ's silence was deafening during the BLM movement when many women's coaches across the country were showing support. You want racial justice ND or any other program? Well start with WBB!!

Maybe schedule an HBCU occasionally. Notre Dame hasn't had a regular season matchup with one since getting paired with Alabama A&M in the 2012 Duel in the Desert in Las Vegas.

PostPosted: 03/19/21 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:

Speaking of minority players, how many indigenous players has SDSU (or South Dakota, or North Dakota, or NDSU) had on their roster over the years? I would venture to guess that there are more indigenous players, some very good, in those states, than there are Black players. Not trying to be combative, just asking.

A number of years ago when we were watching early rounds of the NCAA, my Tennessee-born son commented, "I always forget how white the Big Ten is." Just so used to the SEC where most of the players are Black.

PostPosted: 03/19/21 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

Speaking of minority players, how many indigenous players has SDSU (or South Dakota, or North Dakota, or NDSU) had on their roster over the years? I would venture to guess that there are more indigenous players, some very good, in those states, than there are Black players. Not trying to be combative, just asking.

A number of years ago when we were watching early rounds of the NCAA, my Tennessee-born son commented, "I always forget how white the Big Ten is." Just so used to the SEC where most of the players are Black.

AJ at SDSU has never had a Native American play for him. Their (SDSU) first all time great, Carolyn Fiscus, played in the 1960s and was Winnebago. One of Gene Roebuck's first greats at UND was Colleen Chaske, a Native American. Amy Ruley had Donnie Luecke..so some! Of course UND and NDSU have had much more diversity in the past decade. USD to me has been the melting pot out of the four, even going back to the Chad Lavin days. It hasn't been that much better for any ethnic minorities, period, at SDSU. Good point to bring up stb! Perhaps just the area...I still don't understand how Matt Bollant got let go for Illinois for calling his players inner city ghetto and other racial comments a few years back and even after, Dawn Staley is BFFs with him on Twitter. Like really Dawn? snh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: