RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNIT Bracket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/15/21 9:47 pm    ::: WNIT Bracket Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/WomensNIT/status/1371653395925274624

No overall record of .500 requirement this year - I guess that's probably because of less games this seaosn the unusual circumstances.

Looked up this link too and see another change:

https://womensnit.com/news/2021/3/15/general-2021-field-announced-for-32-team-postseason-wnit.aspx

Each team gets at least 2 games. And I guess I can use my flohoops subscription more - all the games will be on there.

32 teams this year and This year’s event will start with eight teams each at four regional sites — Charlotte, NC; Fort Worth, TX; Memphis, TN; and Rockford, IL. First-round play begins Friday, March 19; Round 2 is March 20, and Round 3 is March 22. The four regional champions will advance to the Memphis site, with the semifinals tipping off March 26 and the championship game set for March 28.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/15/21 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also wonder why Milwaukee isn't listed as the automatic qualifier for the Horizon - I thought it went by the best regular season finisher to not be in the NCAA Tournament. They tied Wright State for the regular season Horizon title and were the 2 seed in the tourney and Wright State is in the NCAA Tournament.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/16/21 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I might be starting shit by saying this, but I don’t see Notre Dame (10-10) in the field. Are they another team, like the USC Trojans (11-12), who have decided they’re “too good” for the NIT? Rolling Eyes Even DePaul wasn’t too proud to reject an invite.

Anywho, I hope Cal Baptist has a great tournament, where even though they couldn’t qualify for the Big Dance, they actually have a chance to stay undefeated by being in this one. I want to see them play Arizona State, should both of them win their first two respective games.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/16/21 10:06 am    ::: Re: WNIT Bracket Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Each team gets at least 2 games.

I'm not comprehending that....where is that indicated?

I'm also thinking OK shoulda been in but....isn't. Shocked

PostPosted: 03/16/21 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
I also wonder why Milwaukee isn't listed as the automatic qualifier for the Horizon - I thought it went by the best regular season finisher to not be in the NCAA Tournament. They tied Wright State for the regular season Horizon title and were the 2 seed in the tourney and Wright State is in the NCAA Tournament.

This season since they only took 32 teams instead of 64, they only gave AQ's to teams who won the regular season title but didn't win the conference title. My best guess for Milwaukee not being an AQ with those things in mind is that while they did tie for the Horizon League title, they lost both games to Wright State. So maybe the WNIT considered them not a true regular season champion? Obviously I don't know, just thinking out loud

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/16/21 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
So I might be starting shit by saying this, but I don’t see Notre Dame (10-10) in the field. Are they another team, like the USC Trojans (11-12), who have decided they’re “too good” for the NIT? Rolling Eyes Even DePaul wasn’t too proud to reject an invite.

Anywho, I hope Cal Baptist has a great tournament, where even though they couldn’t qualify for the Big Dance, they actually have a chance to stay undefeated by being in this one. I want to see them play Arizona State, should both of them win their first two respective games.

It’s not always about thinking they are “too good” there are other factors that play into where a team goes to the WNIT or another post season tournament such as health of players, money, players desire to play. I don’t know USC’s reason for this year, but they have dealt with many injuries this season, are they even a fully healthy team now?

mred

PostPosted: 03/16/21 10:46 am    ::: Re: WNIT Bracket Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
but I don’t see Notre Dame (10-10) in the field.

Howee wrote:

Since they are both listed as First Four Out, they are also listed as possible NCAA replacement teams.

https://twitter.com/ncaawbb/status/1371612177417842688

Houston and DePaul accepted WNIT invites, so I wonder if that disqualifies them from being replacement teams. In that case, maybe Notre Dame and OU decided to remain as replacement teams instead of accepting a WNIT invite.

Just some conjecture on my part.

Last edited by mred on 03/16/21 11:12 am; edited 2 times in total
mred

PostPosted: 03/16/21 10:47 am    ::: Re: WNIT Bracket Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

It was announced a few weeks back. I'm assuming they figured teams would be more likely to reject an invite if it might end up being one-and-done.

You can see the consolation brackets as part of the regional brackets on pages 2-5 of this:

https://womensnit.com/documents/2021/3/15//2021_Postseason_WNIT_Brackets.pdf?path=post_wnit

Howee

PostPosted: 03/16/21 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you, mred! Cool

PostPosted: 03/16/21 7:31 pm    ::: Re: WNIT Bracket Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

It was listed on this page that I linked to above - https://womensnit.com/news/2021/3/15/general-2021-field-announced-for-32-team-postseason-wnit.aspx

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/16/21 7:33 pm    ::: Re: WNIT Bracket Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
but I don’t see Notre Dame (10-10) in the field.

Howee wrote:

Since they are both listed as First Four Out, they are also listed as possible NCAA replacement teams.

https://twitter.com/ncaawbb/status/1371612177417842688

Houston and DePaul accepted WNIT invites, so I wonder if that disqualifies them from being replacement teams. In that case, maybe Notre Dame and OU decided to remain as replacement teams instead of accepting a WNIT invite.

Just some conjecture on my part.

I read something that indicated Houston would pull out of the WNIT if they were selected as an NCAA replacement team so I believe you could still accept the WNIT bid and be a replacement team if called upon.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/16/21 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BD22 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

This season since they only took 32 teams instead of 64, they only gave AQ's to teams who won the regular season title but didn't win the conference title. My best guess for Milwaukee not being an AQ with those things in mind is that while they did tie for the Horizon League title, they lost both games to Wright State. So maybe the WNIT considered them not a true regular season champion? Obviously I don't know, just thinking out loud

Hmm - maybe because they were the 2 seed in the Horizon tournament then? They tied with Wright State for the regular season title. It doesn't really matter - I as just curious as I expected they would have gotten an AQ spot but they are still in as an at-large team of course.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: