RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Building a Bracket
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 03/13/21 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MVP's alma mater just came down with some serious #LemonBooty, enabling North Carolina A&T to complete the comeback, and win the MEAC.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/13/21 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31058741/missouri-state-withdraws-mvc-women-basketball-tournament-opponent-bradley-positive-test

Some mild drama in the Missouri Valley tournament. Top-seeded Missouri State withdrew from the semifinals after a staff member on the opposing team (Bradley) tested positive for COVID. After a complicated reseeding procedure, No. 2 Drake automatically advances to the finals because they are the highest ranked team remaining. Drake will play the winner of Loyola vs. Bradley, who has been deemed safe to play despite a COVID case among their personnel.

Missouri State is safely in the NCAAs already, so what this means is the Missouri Valley Conference will get for sure two teams into the field.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/13/21 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31058741/missouri-state-withdraws-mvc-women-basketball-tournament-opponent-bradley-positive-test

Some mild drama in the Missouri Valley tournament. Top-seeded Missouri State withdrew from the semifinals after a staff member on the opposing team (Bradley) tested positive for COVID. After a complicated reseeding procedure, No. 2 Drake automatically advances to the finals because they are the highest ranked team remaining. Drake will play the winner of Loyola vs. Bradley, who has been deemed safe to play despite a COVID case among their personnel.

Missouri State is safely in the NCAAs already, so what this means is the Missouri Valley Conference will get for sure two teams into the field.

This one confused the heck out of me at first Smile. So Bradley and Drake had positive Covid cases but both keep playing while Missouri State withdraws from the conference tournament. But after reading more about it, I get it Smile. Missouri State doesn't want to take any chances at this point since they will get an large NCAA tourney bid anyway.

I found it interesting that the city where the tournament is held and their Covid protocols come into play as a similar situation with the men's tournament was treated differently last week due to the rules in St. Louis where the Men's Missouri Valley Tourney was held - https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/drake/drake-bulldogs/2021/03/13/drake-womens-basketball-positive-covid-19-test-missouri-valley-conference-tournament-bracket-title/4679959001/

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/13/21 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

This one confused the heck out of me at first Smile. So Bradley and Drake had positive Covid cases but both keep playing while Missouri State withdraws from the conference tournament. But after reading more about it, I get it Smile. Missouri State doesn't want to take any chances at this point since they will get an large NCAA tourney bid anyway.

I found it interesting that the city where the tournament is held and their Covid protocols come into play as a similar situation with the men's tournament was treated differently last week due to the rules in St. Louis where the Men's Missouri Valley Tourney was held - https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/drake/drake-bulldogs/2021/03/13/drake-womens-basketball-positive-covid-19-test-missouri-valley-conference-tournament-bracket-title/4679959001/

Yes...so many variables. Honestly if I were Missouri State i'd do the same thing. Their tournament resume is already so strong---they have nothing to gain, even if they win the conference tourney. But they have everything to lose, from their NCAA seed dropping to getting a COVID case and at the worst possible time...

Similar situation to the city rules affecting things is how Stanford women weren't allowed to play at home for that long stretch mid-season.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/15/21 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Final Projection

Seven teams have at least a slight chance of being a number 1 seed. Stanford and Connecticut appear to be locks. I will go with Texas A&M and North Carolina St as the other 2, but Maryland, South Carolina and Baylor must be considered. The other 3 will be 2 seeds and I believe Louisville will get the nod. Georgia and UCLA look like the top 3 seeds. Arizona, Arkansas, Indiana and Tennessee look like the next 4 teams which means 2 will be three seeds and two will be 4 seeds. The other 4 seeds will perhaps say more about the Committee than the teams themselves. Gonzaga, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri St, Rutgers and West Virginia could all make a case.

My projection

1 Stanford
2 Louisville
3 Georgia
4 West Virginia

1 UConn
2 Baylor
3 Tennessee
4 Indiana

1 Texas A&M
2 Maryland
3 UCLA
4 Missouri St

1 North Carolina St
2 South Carolina
3 Arizona
4 Arkansas

Next: the bottom 16

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/15/21 2:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The automatic qualifiers.

There are 21 automatic qualifiers that would not have otherwise made the tournament. Normally these teams are seeded as much by geography as ranking, but with all games in the San Antonio area I have gone based primarily on best wins

Stanford Region

16 Utah Valley
15 Troy
14 UC Davis
13 Drexel

UConn Region

16 Mt St Mary's
15 Marist
14 Idaho St
13 Belmont

Texas A&M Region

16 High Point
15 Jackson St
14 Wyoming
13 Middle Tennessee

North Carolina St

16 Mercer
15 North Carolina A&T
14 Stony Brook
13 Lehigh

The remaining automatic qualifiers are Stephen F Austin, VCU, Wright St, Central Michigan and Bradley. I will place those teams and all the 5-12 seeds later today.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/15/21 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gutsy choice to include Missouri State in the top 16 even though they didn't play their conference tournament. However, the committee often rewards the top mid-major team, so it's possible.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/15/21 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's always interesting at this time of year to go back and check the preseason predictions: https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2020-11-24/2021-womens-ncaa-bracket-predicted-opening-week

willtalk

PostPosted: 03/15/21 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Gutsy choice to include Missouri State in the top 16 even though they didn't play their conference tournament. However, the committee often rewards the top mid-major team, so it's possible.
I think there should be some negative repercussions to what Missouri St did. It would be a win win for them at someone elses expense. Plus their conference gets two bids instead of one. I don't know it it has changed, but conferences used to get a share of the Tournay money based on ow many teams they had playing in the tourney. It also screws another tema our of a spot. It opens up a real can of worms for other teams doing the same thing.

PostPosted: 03/15/21 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
I think there should be some negative repercussions to what Missouri St did. It would be a win win for them at someone elses expense. Plus their conference gets two bids instead of one. I don't know it it has changed, but conferences used to get a share of the Tournay money based on ow many teams they had playing in the tourney. It also screws another tema our of a spot. It opens up a real can of worms for other teams doing the same thing.

I don't see any negative repercussions from this. I will admit that I wanted to give support to Mid Majors, but Missouri St has a win over Maryland among its 7 Quadrant 1 wins. only Iowa (7-8) and West Virginia (7-5) have as many in this group.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/15/21 2:40 pm    ::: Re: Building a Bracket Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The term "Quadrant 1" win has replaced wins over the top 25 and top 50.

Here's a funny thing. Look at the NCAA official Nitty Gritty reports for men's basketball:

https://stats.ncaa.org/selection_rankings/nitty_gritties/18704

Then look at the women's:

https://stats.ncaa.org/selection_rankings/nitty_gritties/18703

The men are indeed using Quadrant 1 through 4. The women are still using top 25, 50, 100.

PostPosted: 03/15/21 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Once the top sixteen are placed the next group needs to be slotted to assure that the teams from the various conferences don't play before the round of 8. With 8 teams from the ACC and 7 each from the SEC and Big 10 this becomes a challenge. The teams considered for the four seed fill the fifth line with Gonzaga falling to the 6. The next group includes Northwestern, Georgia Tech, Texas, Iowa St, Oklahoma St, Alabama, South Florida, Oregon and Oregon St. I don't see much difference in this group but Oregon is trending downward and Oregon St is trending upward. The Committee has not supported any recency bias so I will leave Oregon on the 6 line (along with Georgia Tech and Northwestern). I'll drop South Florida and Oklahoma St. to the 8 line and the rest of the teams will be the 7 seeds. South Dakota St would have also been in this group but with the loss of Myah Selland and their loss to Omaha they are dropped a few lines.

The next group includes 4 teams from the ACC (Virginia Tech, Florida St, North Carolina and Syracuse) with only 3 available for the 8 and 9 seeds, so I will drop Syracuse to a 10. Marquette, Oklahoma St and Florida Gulf Coast get the other 8-9 seeds. Michigan St., Central Florida, South Dakota, Washington St, Wake Forest, BYU round out the at-large berths. DePaul, Mississippi St and Houston are the first teams out.

The entire field:

Region 1

1 Stanford
16 Utah Valley

8 South Florida
9 Florida St

4 West Virginia
13 Drexel

5 Rutgers
12 Bradley

6 Oregon
11 South Dakota

3 Georgia
14 UC Davis

7 Northwestern
10 Syracuse

2 Louisville
15 Marist

REGION 4

1 North Carolina St
16 Mercer

8 Oklahoma St
9 Washington St

4 Arkansas
13 Lehigh

5 Iowa
12 Wright St

6 Gonzaga
11 Wake Forest

3 Arizona
14 Stony Brook

7 Texas
10 Michigan St

2 South Carolina
15 North Carolina A&T

Region 2

1 Connecticut
16 Mt St Mary's

8 Virginia Tech
9 Marquette

4 Indiana
13 Belmont

5 Kentucky
12 VCU

6 Iowa St
11 BYU

3 Tennessee
14 Idaho St

7 Oregon St
10 UCF

2 Baylor
15 Troy

Region 3

1 Texas A&M
16 High Point

5 Michigan
12 C Michigan

8 Florida Gulf Coast
9 North Carolina

4 Missouri St
13 Middle Tennessee

6 Georgia Tech
11 Stephen F Austin

3 UCLA
14 Wyoming

7 Alabama
10 South Dakota St

2 Maryland
15 Jackson St

Last edited by calbearman76 on 03/15/21 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/15/21 4:17 pm    ::: Re: Building a Bracket Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
The term "Quadrant 1" win has replaced wins over the top 25 and top 50.

Here's a funny thing. Look at the NCAA official Nitty Gritty reports for men's basketball:

https://stats.ncaa.org/selection_rankings/nitty_gritties/18704

Then look at the women's:

https://stats.ncaa.org/selection_rankings/nitty_gritties/18703

The men are indeed using Quadrant 1 through 4. The women are still using top 25, 50, 100.

Thank you for that. If I had known that it may have had an effect on some choices, That type of small change in the presentation of the data can change perceptions of teams.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/15/21 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You forgot the 2/15 matchup in the first region

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/15/21 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
You forgot the 2/15 matchup in the first region

OOPS!

I actually made a mistake with the 15 seeds from what I had previously listed, but I will go with this, including Louisville vs Marist

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/15/21 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Overall the bracket had all 64 teams correct. The biggest mistake was putting Texas A&M over South Carolina as a 1 seed. I still believe that overall the Texas A&M resume was better but I can understand penalizing the Aggies for their overtime loss to LSU. On the other hand South Carolina was 0-3 against the 1 and 2 seeds. This doesn't really make much difference though as there was little difference between teams 3-6.

My pick of Missouri St as a 4 seed was in part to my affinity for Mid Majors, but I still have a problem with Kentucky. The Wildcats lost 3 games to teams that did not make the tournament; no other top 4 seed had more than 1. This is a little problematic as it gives UConn a very easy trip to the final 8. They play the winner of Syracuse - South Dakota St in the second round, two teams with serious injury concerns. Then they will likely play Iowa or Kentucky, two teams with basically one star and not much else.

Overall I had more than half (35) of the seeds correct and 25 more within 1 seed. Only 4 teams were off by more than 1 seed, Syracuse (which I moved from a 9 seed in order to have them not play an ACC team before the Elite 8), Florida Gulf Coast (I overseeded them because their only losses came to 2 Top 25 teams, but I mistakenly thought they had another good win besides UCF), Wake Forest (I'm surprised by this as I only had them make the tournament when they beat North Carolina) and UC Davis (The Committee must have been impressed with their loss to Oregon because their only top 150 win was over San Francisco.)

Now comes the real fun, the games themselves.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/15/21 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Overall the bracket had all 64 teams correct. The biggest mistake was putting Texas A&M over South Carolina as a 1 seed. I still believe that overall the Texas A&M resume was better but I can understand penalizing the Aggies for their overtime loss to LSU. On the other hand South Carolina was 0-3 against the 1 and 2 seeds. This doesn't really make much difference though as there was little difference between teams 3-6.

My pick of Missouri St as a 4 seed was in part to my affinity for Mid Majors, but I still have a problem with Kentucky. The Wildcats lost 3 games to teams that did not make the tournament; no other top 4 seed had more than 1. This is a little problematic as it gives UConn a very easy trip to the final 8. They play the winner of Syracuse - South Dakota St in the second round, two teams with serious injury concerns. Then they will likely play Iowa or Kentucky, two teams with basically one star and not much else.

Overall I had more than half (35) of the seeds correct and 25 more within 1 seed. Only 4 teams were off by more than 1 seed, Syracuse (which I moved from a 9 seed in order to have them not play an ACC team before the Elite Cool, Florida Gulf Coast (I overseeded them because their only losses came to 2 Top 25 teams, but I mistakenly thought they had another good win besides UCF), Wake Forest (I'm surprised by this as I only had them make the tournament when they beat North Carolina) and UC Davis (The Committee must have been impressed with their loss to Oregon because their only top 150 win was over San Francisco.)

Now comes the real fun, the games themselves.

What insight did you have in including BYU? I was also surprised that WF made a 9-seed. But as others have noted, a 9-seed is actually worse than a 10 or 11 bc it creates essentially an impossible second round match-up.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/15/21 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

What insight did you have in including BYU? I was also surprised that WF made a 9-seed. But as others have noted, a 9-seed is actually worse than a 10 or 11 bc it creates essentially an impossible second round match-up.

In general Bearman did a fabulous job.
I thought when Charlie asked the chairwoman why BYU made it over other bubblers, her answer was particularly weak. "we felt their body of work...blah blah" Personally I thought Depaul and Miss St. had played themselves out of the tourney so I was thinking to include BYU just as a foil to them making it. Wink It's kind of why there's two AAC teams as well - like how on God's green earth did UCF deserve a bid here? But again, I'd just as soon see a mid make it rather than a team making it just based on previous years' performance. Apparently the committee felt that way too.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/16/21 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

In general Bearman did a fabulous job.
I thought when Charlie asked the chairwoman why BYU made it over other bubblers, her answer was particularly weak. "we felt their body of work...blah blah" Personally I thought Depaul and Miss St. had played themselves out of the tourney so I was thinking to include BYU just as a foil to them making it. Wink It's kind of why there's two AAC teams as well - like how on God's green earth did UCF deserve a bid here? But again, I'd just as soon see a mid make it rather than a team making it just based on previous years' performance. Apparently the committee felt that way too.

When you get into the last few teams it is always a flawed resume, but overall I think BYU deserved it. They beat Gonzaga once and played them down to the buzzer before Gonzaga hit a game winner with less than a second to go. They also beat LSU by 16, a team that Mississippi St lost to twice. I agree with you that both DePaul and Mississippi St played themselves out, but I would add Seton Hall (losing to Creighton in the Big East tourney), Houston (losing to Cincinnati in the last game of the regular season) and Oklahoma (losing to TCU in the second to last game of the season). In the end losing by a point to Gonzaga was a good final impression, and just enough to get them in.

I do have a better feeling about the American Conference. South Florida, Central Florida and Houston are all good (not great) teams. Combined the teams had a record of 40-6 against every one else. South Florida's only non conference loss was to Baylor, Central Florida lost only to Florida Gulf Coast and Houston's only loss was to Alabama. UCF had a bad conference loss to Temple in December but also beat USF once and Houston 3 times. Houston had 2 bad losses to Tulane and Cincinnati but beat South Florida. They also beat SF Austin which isn't a great win anywhere but the NET where the 'Jacks are #19. Overall this is a conference with 3 teams that can compete in the mid range of the major conferences.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: