RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2020-21 edition coaches on hot seat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 03/13/21 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kram the Kohl game:

https://youtu.be/Ku5CwjH12NA

Richard 77

PostPosted: 03/13/21 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Kram the Kohl game:

Thank you!

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Howee

PostPosted: 03/13/21 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Kram the Kohl game:

Well....I've missed something, and I've learned something!

1. What was the Bad Outcome of the "Cram the Kohl" event? I mean, it looked like a hard-fought, well-played game, but....how did it precipitate a decline for The Badgers?

2. I had no idea Brenda Frese was a coach at Minnesota -- and she looks about the same! I thought she coached at Iowa before Maryland, no? Live and learn.... Cool

PostPosted: 03/13/21 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Kram the Kohl game:

1. What was the Bad Outcome of the "Cram the Kohl" event? I mean, it looked like a hard-fought, well-played game, but....how did it precipitate a decline for The Badgers?

2. I had no idea Brenda Frese was a coach at Minnesota -- and she looks about the same! I thought she coached at Iowa before Maryland, no? Live and learn.... Cool

Frese was an assistant at Iowa State. She was at Minnesota after Cheryl a Littlejohn but she didn’t stick around. I believe whalens last season was under Borton.

I think the badger that got hurt was Ebba Gebisa. Her older sister was also on the team, a 6’7 transfer from Duke named Lello.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/14/21 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Frese was only at Minnesota for one season, 2001-02, which was Whalen's sophomore season. Before that she was head coach at Ball State.

PostPosted: 03/14/21 4:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Kram the Kohl game:

Frese was an assistant at Iowa State. She was at Minnesota after Cheryl a Littlejohn but she didn’t stick around. I believe whalens last season was under Borton.

I think the badger that got hurt was Ebba Gebisa. Her older sister was also on the team, a 6’7 transfer from Duke named Lello.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/14/21 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard...check your PMs.

PostPosted: 03/14/21 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Richard 77"][quote="summertime blues"][quote="purduefanatic"][quote="Queenie"]
PickledGinger wrote:
Based on Tsipis's record at GW, he looks like an objectively good coach.

Wish I knew exactly what happened at Wisconsin near the end of Jane's tenure, but one of the reasons why she was let go was because the Athletic Department got greedy. Jane could get her teams into post-season tournaments but in the big dance, her teams faltered in the first round each appearance and the AD wanted nothing but the final trophy. They kept forgetting how good the Tennesees and Notre Dames (among others) were and thought Jane's teams were on somewhat equal par with them. Getting to the NCAA 64 during that period should have been good enough to protect her job but it wasn't for the AD. The other fiasco (other than Nina Smith) was that Cram the Kohl event. The Badgers were ranked fifth by then and were soundly beaten by Minnesota. Something happened that game that destroyed team chemistry (I was told to watch game film) and the Badgers were never the same after that to which Jane couldn't recover. (a 12 or 13 game losing streak.) Instead of letting her rebuild the program, the AD let her go and Karma stepped in. They haven't found a successful coach since and their players have mostly been forgettable. Other than Anderson, I couldn't tell you another over 17 years. Women's college basketball these days shouldn't be just about the big dance and a national trophy. Some of it should be preparing those one or two gifted athletes on a roster for a professional career in the WNBA. That's why Wisconsin needs to hire someone whom high school girls basketball players recognize and want to play for. How many Wisconsin HS players over the last 10 years knew who Kelesy or Tsipis was? I'll bet not many. If any.

I just watched the "Cram the Kohl" game and the only thing I can interpret about it that would have "destroyed team chemistry" in any way was the injury to Ebba Gebisa, particularly if she was the kind of player that held the team together. But Tennessee suffered a similar thing the year Tamika Catchings blew out her knee (might even have been the same year, I forget now) and it only pulled the team closer together..."do it for Catch!" So if there was any pressure it came from the AD's ego and everyone here knows what I think of him (Richter). If it was the loss to the Gophers, the chemistry was fragile, so I don't think it was that.

What I saw was a rough and tumble game between two teams that clearly did not like each other (they never did, never do, but it's a kind of courtesy dislike, a border dispute if you will). Some questionable reffing at times, but nothing dirty going on. Gebisa's "wreck" clearly occurred as she stepped out of bounds and if they'd had instant replay then they could have reviewed it and restarted the clock, not that it would have helped the Badgers any. I seem to remember rooting for Minnesota in the NCAA that year, but not for the coach. Didn't like Brenda then, don't like her now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: