RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

1.9 trillion dollar COVID-19 relief bill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 03/10/21 5:21 am    ::: 1.9 trillion dollar COVID-19 relief bill Reply Reply with quote

I mentioned to my brother something pilight had brought up - the $1,400 times x amount of qualifying taxpayers doesn't come close to 1.9 trillion. For example, 143 million people (total 2017 taxpayers, which includes people over 75-80k income limits for the payment) getting it is $200 billion, which is only 10% of the total. He hadn't heard about the odd inclusions (including payments to foreign governments for non-COVID-19 issues) in previous iterations that had been reported and felt the non direct payment money would go to help state and local governments. And then he sent me a link to this Time article:

The Senate Passed a $1.9 Trillion COVID-19 Relief Bill. Here's What's In It

But that article doesn't give values for the direct taxpayer payment, unemployment insurance payment extensions/increases and increases in child care credits.

It shows either $518 billion or $490 billion in funding, depending on whether the money going to restaurants is a part of the money going to small businesses.

Stave and local governments 350 billion
COVID-19 vaccine distribution and testing 70 billion
Small Business 70 billion
Restaurants 28.6 billion

Need to try and find a full breakout.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/10/21 8:27 am    ::: Re: 1.9 trillion dollar COVID-19 relief bill Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I mentioned to my brother something pilight had brought up - the $1,400 times x amount of qualifying taxpayers doesn't come close to 1.9 trillion. For example, 143 million people (total 2017 taxpayers, which includes people over 75-80k income limits for the payment) getting it is $200 billion, which is only 10% of the total. He hadn't heard about the odd inclusions (including payments to foreign governments for non-COVID-19 issues) in previous iterations that had been reported and felt the non direct payment money would go to help state and local governments. And then he sent me a link to this Time article:

But that article doesn't give values for the direct taxpayer payment, unemployment insurance payment extensions/increases and increases in child care credits.

It shows either $518 billion or $490 billion in funding, depending on whether the money going to restaurants is a part of the money going to small businesses.

Restaurants 28.6 billion

There's a pie chart that I was looking at the other day. I don't remember where I saw it. It was surprising the number of things that were included.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/10/21 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't we have a discussion about the pork in the last stimulus package? Or did I hallucinate that?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/10/21 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Didn't we have a discussion about the pork in the last stimulus package? Or did I hallucinate that?

Yes, and there was lots of it. Neither party is letting this crisis go to waste.

PostPosted: 03/10/21 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing I keep hearing about is how the LAST relief measure provided funds that are not yet utilized. Any insights as to how that has occurred?

Another point that puzzles me: folks like me can get the stimulus check (I can certainly put it to good use, but don't *need* it), but others who, for example, are 8 months behind on rent, etc., etc., are expected to have their lives 'fixed' with a $1400 check? How does that help if you're already $8000 in arrears on your rent, etc.?

Now, mind you....Republicans simply have ZERO grounds to bitch, after their trillion-dollar tax cuts, but I really wish there was more TRULY direct help for the Americans in real crisis.

PostPosted: 03/10/21 7:51 pm    ::: Re: 1.9 trillion dollar COVID-19 relief bill Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
tfan wrote:

Restaurants 28.6 billion

There's a pie chart that I was looking at the other day. I don't remember where I saw it. It was surprising the number of things that were included.

I have the chart, I just have no clue how to post it here. I guess the best I can do is this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10159073165739851&set=p.10159073165739851&type=3

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 03/10/21 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
One thing I keep hearing about is how the LAST relief measure provided funds that are not yet utilized. Any insights as to how that has occurred?

Funds from the last relief measure weren't scheduled to be paid all in one year--just like some of the items in this one are scheduled to go out over a couple years. Of course, the Republicans were quick to jump on how much hasn't been spent yet--as well as the fact that the previous bills had Democrats (all of them I think) voting for it and used that as a complaint on this one. Of course, what they aren't telling you, is the only reason Republicans weren't in on this bill, is because they refused to do so. The Democrats, in the past bills, recognized the need and went to the then in charge Republicans and worked a deal out. This time around, with the Democrats in charge, the Republicans went to the Democrats and wanted to strip much of the bill away and only assist companies and shield businesses from liability if their workers got sick from covid. The Democrats rightly said no way and the Republicans took their ball and went home, claiming Democrats shut them out. The Republicans are quite looney, and of course, now are pretending like they give damn about deficits.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/10/21 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a fantastic bill.

The most helpful element is the child savings account. If/When that is made permanent, that'll significantly help a lot of people.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/10/politics/whats-in-the-covid-relief-bill/index.html

PostPosted: 03/10/21 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
Howee wrote:

Funds from the last relief measure weren't scheduled to be paid all in one year--just like some of the items in this one are scheduled to go out over a couple years. Of course, the Republicans were quick to jump on how much hasn't been spent yet--as well as the fact that the previous bills had Democrats (all of them I think) voting for it and used that as a complaint on this one. Of course, what they aren't telling you, is the only reason Republicans weren't in on this bill, is because they refused to do so. The Democrats, in the past bills, recognized the need and went to the then in charge Republicans and worked a deal out. This time around, with the Democrats in charge, the Republicans went to the Democrats and wanted to strip much of the bill away and only assist companies and shield businesses from liability if their workers got sick from covid. The Democrats rightly said no way and the Republicans took their ball and went home, claiming Democrats shut them out. The Republicans are quite looney, and of course, now are pretending like they give damn about deficits.

Thank you, Hawkeye. That helped me a lot.

Re: the 'looney' Republicans, I can understand them wanting to be a counterpoint to any potential Democratic Pork-Gone-Wild scenarios, but with all the bill's POSITIVE qualities, you'd think a few GOP congressmen might be on board with it, as it will be helping tons of their own constituents.

The pie chart was also quite illuminating. The 45 Billion for "Other" was a bit puzzling, but....what do I know? Razz

PostPosted: 03/10/21 10:45 pm    ::: Re: 1.9 trillion dollar COVID-19 relief bill Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I have the chart, I just have no clue how to post it here. I guess the best I can do is this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10159073165739851&set=p.10159073165739851&type=3

That's it. Thanks for finding it. I guess that's why you're "Hawkeye." Wink

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: