RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Marquette vs # 1 Connecticut - 3/08/21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/07/21 10:34 pm    ::: #2 Marquette vs # 1 Connecticut - 3/08/21 Reply Reply with quote

Big East Tournament Championship
Uncasville, CT - 8:00 PM ET

TV: FS1 (Lisa Byington, Sarah Kustok)

Video stream:
https://www.foxsports.com/live (tvpli)

Audio:
https://listen.tunein.com/connecticutwbbschedule

Live stats:
http://bigeast.statbroadcast.com/

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/08/21 9:28 am    ::: Re: #2 Marquette vs # 1 Connecticut - 3/08/21 Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Big East Tournament Championship
Uncasville, CT - 8:00 PM ET

TV: FS1 (Lisa Byington, Sarah Kustok)

Video stream:
https://www.foxsports.com/live (tvpli)

Audio:
https://listen.tunein.com/connecticutwbbschedule

Live stats:
http://bigeast.statbroadcast.com/

I hope that the UCONN team that played at Marquette shows up and not the one played Marquette last week. Marquette is a much better team than they get credit for, especially on D. I hope it's a good showing by both sides, actually. Those low scoring, grind it out affairs are just boring to watch, but it seems to be what this time of year brings.

If Williams plays like she did last night, I'll be very happy.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/08/21 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just have this feeling UCONN isn’t going to be happy about the close game last week and feel a UCONN blowout coming on. I’d just like to see a good game from Marquette - it’s truthfully not real likely they win this one in my opinion.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/08/21 1:44 pm    ::: Re: #2 Marquette vs # 1 Connecticut - 3/08/21 Reply Reply with quote

I hope that the UCONN team that played at Marquette shows up and not the one played Marquette last week. Marquette is a much better team than they get credit for, especially on D. I hope it's a good showing by both sides, actually. Those low scoring, grind it out affairs are just boring to watch, but it seems to be what this time of year brings.

If Williams plays like she did last night, I'll be very happy.[/quote]

I had the same thought watching games this weekend. Maybe it's that good defense rarely chokes or has a bad game and those teams advance. Shooting is like a manic-depressive girlfriend. You never know who you are taking out on any given day. In a one and done tournament it's hard to avoid one or more bad shooting games and if you don't play defense you are gone.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/08/21 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

12-2 after 4 min as UConn starts out like a well-oiled machine and not the slow starters Geno was whining about a while back.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/08/21 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah this is going to be a blowout but it's really what I expected.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/08/21 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

29-10 after 1. UConn 5-6 from 3. Everyone is shooting.

UConn missed 4 shots in the period

linkster

PostPosted: 03/08/21 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

41-23 at the half. UConn's shooting reverted to the mean.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/08/21 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1Q UConn wins the NC. 2Q UConn loses in the third round.

Two mystifying 1-out delay plays called by Geno, the execution which, whatever intended, was pathetic and resulted in shot clock violations both times.
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/08/21 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't see the game. Looking at stats, Bueckers had a very nice game like usual, except for the six TOs. Am curious how she gets those. Are they str8 up bad passes or is the receiver more at fault than the passer? Since she had no fouls they're obviously not from o-fouls.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/08/21 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I didn't see the game. Looking at stats, Bueckers had a very nice game like usual, except for the six TOs. Am curious how she gets those. Are they str8 up bad passes or is the receiver more at fault than the passer? Since she had no fouls they're obviously not from o-fouls.

Was probably her worst TO game, all of which were legit. Twice, she had the ball taken from her by the defender, which I've never seen before; twice, she passed the ball to empty spots to where she expected a teammate to cut; once, she dribbled off her foot while accelerating on a drive; and I can't recall the sixth.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/08/21 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her dribble got stripped a few times and also some errant passes. On the passes it's usually miscommunication between players. Ex: Bueckers thinks Muhl is cutting to the corner, so Bueckers throws it there right as Muhl fakes corner but pops out to the wing. Ball goes flying out of bounds. I don't think she has many turnovers forcing passes inside like you see from some guards.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/08/21 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina and Baylor need to play each other so one gets knocked off or one of these two teams gets upset. Don't think UConn can beat both of these teams back to back. Too big, too strong, too rough, too talented and deep.

Of course, any of these teams could get upset or take on injuries along the way.

UConn, South Carolina, Stanford and Baylor are my four best teams. Respectfully, your's may differ.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/08/21 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7E2NaQuG_VE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/09/21 6:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
South Carolina and Baylor need to play each other so one gets knocked off or one of these two teams gets upset. Don't think UConn can beat both of these teams back to back. Too big, too strong, too rough, too talented and deep.

Of course, any of these teams could get upset or take on injuries along the way.

UConn, South Carolina, Stanford and Baylor are my four best teams. Respectfully, your's may differ.

I would love to see a game between SC and Baylor. I actually hope they're in the same bracket so we can see that E8 game.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/09/21 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The strides UConn has made the past 6 weeks or so have been a joy to see. They really seem to be a team of sisters. Geno is a changed man because of them, apparently, per his postgame press conf.

As much as I believe this tournament to be winnable by more teams than any year I can remember, I can't expect a backcourt of two freshmen to accomplish that feat, can I?

As a UConn fan, I'm happy with the progress and with the prognosis, and hoping for a little March Madness Magic.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/09/21 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
The strides UConn has made the past 6 weeks or so have been a joy to see. They really seem to be a team of sisters. Geno is a changed man because of them, apparently, per his postgame press conf.

As much as I believe this tournament to be winnable by more teams than any year I can remember, I can't expect a backcourt of two freshmen to accomplish that feat, can I?

As a UConn fan, I'm happy with the progress and with the prognosis, and hoping for a little March Madness Magic.

I know, I keep saying thinking the same. The only thing I will say is that the only teams that are FF favorites that have any FF experience are UCONN(Christyn and ONO) in 2019, Louisville(Dana Evans in 2018) and Baylor(Smith, Richards, Egbo, and Ursin) in 2019.

During this years NCAA tournament, a lot of top teams have very limited postseason experience because of the cancellation of the tournament last year. I think we might see a lot of nerves from everyone. If you look up and down the rosters of the top-8 seeds, every team has inexperienced and/or young guards, with the exception of Stanford, Baylor and Louisville.

Still, Paige has struggled a few times, but she has never laid an actual egg and been unable to make anything. I worry about that.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/09/21 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

I know, I keep saying thinking the same. The only thing I will say is that the only teams that are FF favorites that have any FF experience are UCONN(Christyn and ONO) in 2019, Louisville(Dana Evans in 2018) and Baylor(Smith, Richards, Egbo, and Ursin) in 2019.

During this years NCAA tournament, a lot of top teams have very limited postseason experience because of the cancellation of the tournament last year. I think we might see a lot of nerves from everyone. If you look up and down the rosters of the top-8 seeds, every team has inexperienced and/or young guards, with the exception of Stanford, Baylor and Louisville.

Still, Paige has struggled a few times, but she has never laid an actual egg and been unable to make anything. I worry about that.

The basketball does not know what year of college study they're in. These freshmen have played all over the world and won with under19 USA teams and 3X3 with and against professionals and high school championships.

Basketball-wise they may be equivalent to higher levels than freshmen/sophomores and in Paige's case junior. Edwards plays for Team Canada and Nika's fearless and tough as nails. To me, their main weakness is inside with Olivia being foul prone and not conducive with strong physicality along with little backup for her against the size and depth of a Baylor or SC, it will be quite brutal and challenging.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/09/21 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
ucbart wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

The basketball does not know what year of college study they're in. These freshmen have played all over the world and won with under19 USA teams and 3X3 with and against professionals and high school championships.

Basketball-wise they may be equivalent to higher levels than freshmen/sophomores and in Paige's case junior. Edwards plays for Team Canada and Nika's fearless and tough as nails. To me, their main weakness is inside with Olivia being foul prone and not conducive with strong physicality along with little backup for her against the size and depth of a Baylor or SC, it will be quite brutal and challenging.

Right..that's what is funny..I'm not at all worried about the Freshman in the tournament. Maybe that's dumb of me...Paige, Nika, and Aaliyah have shown up to all the big games this year.

I'm worried about CW and ONO.

And I agree with Lobo..y'all better beat Paige this year, cause you probably won't have another shot at it.

PostPosted: 03/09/21 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
ucbart wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Right..that's what is funny..I'm not at all worried about the Freshman in the tournament. Maybe that's dumb of me...Paige, Nika, and Aaliyah have shown up to all the big games this year.

I'm worried about CW and ONO.

And I agree with Lobo..y'all better beat Paige this year, cause you probably won't have another shot at it.

She said that? When? I do not see Lobo ever saying anything like that-especially with the talent that Stanford and SC have now and what they have coming in.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/09/21 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paige will have more help next year and subsequent years...Evina's best move may to make the W leap now. Her stock only goes down from here

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/09/21 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
[

She said that? When? I do not see Lobo ever saying anything like that-especially with the talent that Stanford and SC have now and what they have coming in.

The broadcasters said that Lobo mentioned this last game. Might have been something she said in private with no intention of it getting public though. Laughing

PostPosted: 03/09/21 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It will be very difficult, but definitely possible, for UConn to win a NC with all the freshman. But they will have to shoot way over their team 3pt averages beginning in the S16. Lousy or even average arc shooting will allow top defensive teams to deny Bueckers while packing the paint.

I'm not fan of the four guard lineup and I'm still not convinced by Muhl, though she's chipping away at my incredulity. Still, I'd rather see a lot more of Edwards in the lineup, and more Griffin when Williams or Westbrook aren't hitting shots.

Next season, I'd like to see a lineup with two post players and three dangerous and consistent arc threats. That could be ONO, Edwards, Bueckers, Fudd and Ducharme. That would mean a lot more bench time for Muhl and Williams, which may be contrary to Geno's historical practice.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/09/21 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
It will be very difficult, but definitely possible, for UConn to win a NC with all the freshman. But they will have to shoot way over their team 3pt averages beginning in the S16. Lousy or even average arc shooting will allow top defensive teams to deny Bueckers while packing the paint.

I'm not fan of the four guard lineup and I'm still not convinced by Muhl, though she's chipping away at my incredulity. Still, I'd rather see a lot more of Edwards in the lineup, and more Griffin when Williams or Westbrook aren't hitting shots.

Next season, I'd like to see a lineup with two post players and three dangerous and consistent arc threats. That could be ONO, Edwards, Bueckers, Fudd and Ducharme. That would mean a lot more bench time for Muhl and Williams, which may be contrary to Geno's historical practice.

Yeah, it's not going to happen. Laughing Fudd and Ducharme will come off the bench...but it won't surprise me if our best lineup ends up being Muhl, Bueckers, Fudd, Ducharme, Edwards..

I'm not sold on ONO. I've said all year our best lineup is Muhl, Bueckers, Edwards..and whichever two others are playing the best. Lately that's been Williams and ONO, but first three quarters of the year it was Evina and Griffin.

One thing Muhl needs to work on is a quicker release. She's been much more accurate from 3 in the second half of the season, and given she was always willing to take them - it's obviously a shot she's comfortable with. But she needs a lot of time.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: