RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Horizon tournament

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/25/21 7:49 pm    ::: Horizon tournament Reply Reply with quote

The Horizon Tournament kicks off today with 3 games, all on ESPN+.

(7)Youngstown St 62 (10)Purdue Fort Wayne 59

Purdue Fort Wayne ends the season at 1-22

(6)Cleveland St 26 (11) Illinois Chicago 20 Half

(8)Northern Kentucky 31 (9) Robert Morris 19 Half

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/02/21 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quarterfinals on campus sites on Tue 3/2/21. Semi's aren't until Monday until Indianapolis

(1) Wright State easily beats (Cool Northern Kentucky 74-56

(5) IUPUI beats (4) Oakland 86-64

At half-time

(7) Youngstown State leads (2) UW-Milwaukee 36-34

(6) Cleveland State leads (3) UW-Green Bay 33-22

Games on ESPN+ tonight

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/02/21 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the camera people have been drinking - we can’t even see the player with the ball or the actual basket in the UWM-Youngstown State game half the time.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/03/21 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Haven't they recently started calling those schools just "Milwaukee" and "Green Bay" and dropped the "UW" part?

PostPosted: 03/03/21 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Haven't they recently started calling those schools just "Milwaukee" and "Green Bay" and dropped the "UW" part?

I mostly hear UWM and UWGB and actually have to make myself write out the full names when I post about them Smile. They may want themselves called that but I never hear them called Milwaukee and Green Bay.

UWM beat Youngstown State but Cleveland State pulled off the upset in Green Bay last night.

Monday's semi's are:

Cleveland State-Wright State

IUPUI-UW-Milwaukee

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/08/21 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1 seed Wright State defeated Cleveland State 73-62.

IUPUI-UW-Milwaukee is up next at 2P eastern on ESPN+

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/08/21 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This tourney used to be the rubberstamp for Green Bay. What's happened there?

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/08/21 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
This tourney used to be the rubberstamp for Green Bay. What's happened there?

They struggled this year but did finish third in the horizon. But then they got upset on their home court in the conference tournament by Cleveland State.

Wright State has been strong the last few years in the conference as I recall. And UW-Milwaukee had their best year in about a decade or more.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/08/21 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5 seed IUPUI beat 2 seed UW-Milwaukee 56-46 today in the 2nd Horizon semifinal.

IUPUI-Wright State play in the final tomorrow at noon EST on ESPNU.

While IUPUI was the 5th seed in the Horizon Tournament, they did actually have the best winning percentage for conference games this year - they ended up with 6 less conference games than the top two teams in the conference though.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/08/21 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

While IUPUI was the 5th seed in the Horizon Tournament, they did actually have the best winning percentage for conference games this year - they ended up with 6 less conference games than the top two teams in the conference though.

I was confused at how a 5-seed and 1-seed both ended up in the finals when usually the winner of 1v8 plays 4v5 in the semis, so I looked up the bracket. Can't say I've ever seen a bracket like it... https://horizonleague.org/documents/2021/2/25//2021_Women_s_Basketball_Bracket.pdf

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/08/21 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

I was confused at how a 5-seed and 1-seed both ended up in the finals when usually the winner of 1v8 plays 4v5 in the semis, so I looked up the bracket. Can't say I've ever seen a bracket like it... https://horizonleague.org/documents/2021/2/25//2021_Women_s_Basketball_Bracket.pdf

Yeah - Wright State as the #1 seed got to play the worst remaining seed in the semifinals similar to what the NFL does with their playoffs. I'm not sure how many conference tournaments set it up that way. They also played at campus sites until moving to Indianapolist for the semis and final.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/09/21 6:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm tuning in and I'll have my IUPUI gear on. My niece is on the IUPUI soccer team and was the Horizon League Freshman of the Year last season. So, go Jaguars!!

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/09/21 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
I'm tuning in and I'll have my IUPUI gear on. My niece is on the IUPUI soccer team and was the Horizon League Freshman of the Year last season. So, go Jaguars!!

Go Proud Uncle! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/09/21 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Disappointing end of the game for IUPUI...the offense just completely shut down in the last quarter. I know sports has winners and losers and not everyone can makes the NCAAs, but it's still sad to see the disappointment. IUPUI looked pretty dejected during the last few minutes of the game.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/09/21 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Horizon is a one-bid conference, too. Usually, anyway. Maybe we'll see IUPUI in the WNIT.

PostPosted: 03/09/21 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Disappointing end of the game for IUPUI...the offense just completely shut down in the last quarter. I know sports has winners and losers and not everyone can makes the NCAAs, but it's still sad to see the disappointment. IUPUI looked pretty dejected during the last few minutes of the game.

I felt bad for IUPUI. They win last year’s Horizon Tournament and it would have been their first NCAA Tournament bid. And here they make the final again but struggle and know they won’t get an at large bid.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/09/21 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

I felt bad for IUPUI. They win last year’s Horizon Tournament and it would have been their first NCAA Tournament bid. And here they make the final again but struggle and know they won’t get an at large bid.

I do, too. I've never seen a team just have that much trouble passing the ball on offense. They were completely overwhelmed by that swarming Wright State defenders.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: