RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Inauguration Day 2021 – Before, During, and After
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/20/21 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

There is no real comparison to be made. Your video-fueled point isn't even remotely relevant. Okay.... Joe definitely lied for some perceived advantage, BUT HE LATER ADMITTED HIS LIE. That automatically separates him from 45.

Wow. Maybe I gave the impression that I was comparing Biden to Trump as in a contrast comparison, but let me do it this way: everything I said about Biden, which also applies to Trump, is simply as true about Biden as it would be if Donald Trump had never been born. The video part of my video-fueled point is not me, it's a mash up of the actual network news coverage of presidential candidate Joe Biden at that time.

We do not have two bad little boys in front of us trying to decide who gets the more severe punishment. But if we were, then certainly little Donnie would be deserving of the ass-blistering of his life. Biden is simply the career politician version of a Donald Trump. So that would mean long ago taming his shortcomings and packaging himself much better than buck-wild Donald Trump would ever have been capable of.

It's the 'perceived advantage' part of your response that confuses me. He was running for president and he lied deeply and repeatedly about his college record. It is only in this establishment political and elite mainstream media world that someone could come back from this. It's like a church full of sinners. He can be saved. He has made amends for these ridiculous lies he told while trying to lie his way into the White House once. Embarrassed and humiliated and exposed as a naked liar lying to try to fool the public into voting for him for president. Can I get an amen? Perceived advantage?

No. The elites can forgive themselves. I don't have to. And the problem here is in not understanding that they should not be forgiven. There were and are infinitely better and more appropriate people who could be president today than this demented dinosaur. It's not his fault that he couldn't quit politics and retire gracefully. He's only capable of being himself. But that our system and our party could only deliver this tired old piece of meat up to the highest office in the land and leader of the free world, well, I would hold that shit up as Exhibit 1 in making my case that this is a failed nation on a steep downward curve to further misery and disaster.

PostPosted: 01/20/21 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Biden is a career politician version of Trump. A serial liar, corrupt, ill-tempered towards any who dare question him, a gaffe factory, and handsy with females of any age. And his lies were exposed by an earlier more responsible iteration of our press.

He does get testy if given a "tough question", few of which came his way this campaign. And I doubt we will see many during his presidency outside of a Fox News reporter. But when Al Sharpton and others described as black leaders had a conference call presumably for them to tell Biden what they would like him to do - he at one point said "OK, I've got to go here!". I thought that meant he was going to hang up because of too many demands, but he actually meant he was going to put them in their place. On that call he said that because of a Republican Senate he could only do executive orders, and that he felt that the constitution limited how many he could do. But that situation has changed. We could be seeing a battle between the donor class Democrats and (progressives and Democratic constituencies).

I think Biden is closer to DNC speakers Meg Whitman and John Kasich politically, than he is to Bernie Sanders. Dubya Bush, certainly not a progressive, today called James Clyburn a savior for boosting Biden in the primaries. But I would prefer it if he adopted what Sanders wants (absent the illegal immigrant stuff). Also what Warren wants with regard to Wall Street.

He may face some tough issues with regard to the second amnesty he wants to push through (he didn't even talk "pathway to citizenship" as it is normally presented ). When the first amnesty was granted in the 1980's the politicians postured that there would be strict enforcement of the law to prevent another illegal workforce from forming. After a few arrests in the news with the CEO lead away in handcuffs (maybe just for show), that was quickly tabled. The people interviewed in the current Central American caravan are talking about Biden's call to give amnesty in the first 100 days and they want to be in the USA before that. But what about after? Will Biden make an attempt to stop another illegal workforce from forming? I don't see how he could. Deportations would be fought by Hispanics and illegal economic migration advocates, and arrests and penalties of employers would be fought by the donor class. But if caravans keep coming, it may force Biden to take a position, one that should cause controversy whatever it is. But from seeing the Mexican police/military massed at the boarder in riot gear and the caravan clashing with riot gear clad police in some Central American country, we may be paying those countries to prevent any caravans from reaching the USA. Non-caravan illegal migration is much easier to ignore.

Last edited by tfan on 01/20/21 10:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/20/21 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Your political takes are getting a little weird, Jammer. Laughing

PostPosted: 01/20/21 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

I would call yours sappy and naive. If I were attacking your ideas and not you personally. Wink

PostPosted: 01/20/21 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Jammer's post are refreshing and mostly spot on. I don't always agree on everything but it is nice to see others that can get their point of view across, stand behind it and back it up.

I have to say that I am forever holding my tongue (or posts) these days. The more I see how emboldened people are to post things that do not take in to account that it is okay to have differing opinions or points of view, the scarier this world becomes. And the farther apart we are.

I am an Independent. My personal beliefs do not fit with the two major party norms. There are many things about me that would set off half this board, or maybe all of it. But I will do my best to read what you have to say and try to understand your point of view and why you believe as you do. Just as I would hope you all would do for me.

This country is becoming such a shit-show. And intolerant (not directed at anyone specific).

pilight

PostPosted: 01/20/21 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The New Radicals reunion at the inauguration is as close as Biden is likely to get to anything radical

PostPosted: 01/21/21 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Howee wrote:

There is no real comparison to be made. Your video-fueled point isn't even remotely relevant. Okay.... Joe definitely lied for some perceived advantage, BUT HE LATER ADMITTED HIS LIE. That automatically separates him from 45.

It's the 'perceived advantage' part of your response that confuses me. He was running for president and he lied deeply and repeatedly about his college record. It is only in this establishment political and elite mainstream media world that someone could come back from this. It's like a church full of sinners. He can be saved. He has made amends for these ridiculous lies he told while trying to lie his way into the White House once. Embarrassed and humiliated and exposed as a naked liar lying to try to fool the public into voting for him for president. Can I get an amen? Perceived advantage?

Yes. Perceived advantages are typically the motives behind big lies. Politicians are Bullshitters Extraordinaire. YOU seemed to miss the most relevant point in comparing/contrasting the 2: Biden admitted his lies. THAT ALONE makes him superior to his predecessor. All this is in response to your projection of One as Bad as The Other. That's all.

PostPosted: 01/21/21 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Biden admitted his lies. THAT ALONE makes him superior to his predecessor. All this is in response to your projection of One as Bad as The Other. That's all.

This is a waste of time. In the future I'm going to just stop responding when things go this far off the rails.

I did not make a quantitive comparison between the two. Which is what you're doing. I don’t know what it’s called but I was saying they were alike meaning in terms of being of a kind meaning having many similarities.

I don't CARE that Biden has quantitatively a better personal character than Trump (but I agree he does) and especially when you’re basing your whole assertion on this dubious claim that he “admitted his lies,” which I believe is factually incorrect.

Show me Joe Biden saying "I lied about my college record." Show me. I believe you're wrong. It's my recollection that Biden only said that he misspoke. But I wouldn’t care much if he did admit that he lied. I’ve already said I don’t believe in redemption and forgiveness at this level. I only care that he lied and what he lied about and for what reason.

There’s something missing from that clip from right before this version starts where he is reciting his academic accomplishments. And that is where he tells the citizen in that town hall or campaign event that he has a higher IQ than the guy who asked him the question that set him off. So you can add braggart to his similarities to Trump.

But yeah, Trump’s worse. (Maybe I should make that my sig line. Sort of save time having to explain that OMG I didn’t mean to imply for even one second that anyone could possibly be as bad as Donald Trump.)

I AGREE that Biden’s administration is going to be better than his predecessor's (which is a VERY low bar at this point) and that I welcome him as a change from Trump and I said so.

But that doesn't mean that I can't point out his considerable character flaws and level criticisms at him either in real time, historically or preemptively or that I can't creatively put together and share a thought like saying that Biden is a career politician version of Trump, which I wholeheartedly stand by. He is exactly that.

And I didn't say or 'project' that one was as Bad as the Other as if we're assessing the bad behaviors of little boys AND I already used that analogy to try to get that through to you. And I also stipulated that, if these were children, which it seems to be how you're committed to assessing them, that Trump was deserving of far more severe punishments for his badness.

I tailored that analogy just for you. Sorry it didn't get through.

Biden is a career politician version of Trump. That statement is about Biden and I would be happy to debate it in the ways in which I actually meant it and not in the way that I did not mean it. Yes, Trump is worse. So stipulated in order to put to rest this whole ridiculous who’s worse cliff the conversation has careened over.

PostPosted: 01/21/21 4:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DivaORcat16 wrote:
I think Jammer's post are refreshing and mostly spot on. I don't always agree on everything but it is nice to see others that can get their point of view across, stand behind it and back it up.

I have to say that I am forever holding my tongue (or posts) these days. The more I see how emboldened people are to post things that do not take in to account that it is okay to have differing opinions or points of view, the scarier this world becomes. And the farther apart we are.

I am an Independent. My personal beliefs do not fit with the two major party norms. There are many things about me that would set off half this board, or maybe all of it. But I will do my best to read what you have to say and try to understand your point of view and why you believe as you do. Just as I would hope you all would do for me.

This country is becoming such a shit-show. And intolerant (not directed at anyone specific).

Thank you VERY much. The jammer gets very little love around here anymore and I very truly appreciate your appreciation.

I hold back as well for many reasons. One is time and the effort it takes to present all the material and arguments I want to. But invariably I say something that gets me distracted while those projects sort of pile up and I end up spending just as much time as if I’d just done the work and posted what I’d wanted to.

But certainly the climate here as well as in the real world does tamp down my desire to share all of my thoughts. Not much in my perspective starting in about 2014 is really new. But I have continued to evolve in my harsh view of the Democratic Party with which I’m registered lifelong as a voter.

What else has changed is that, as I predicted, the climate for expressing opinions outside of that tribe is literally becoming more dangerous to a person’s well being and that’s just something we’ll all have to work through. But on the positive side, I didn’t foresee that there would emerge so many who are stepping outside the parties and just saying WTF. People like Krystal Ball, Jimmy Dore, Matt Taibbi, and many others.

So we just have to persevere. Thanks again. Going to be laying a lot of shit on the board in the next few days. Hope you like it.

PostPosted: 01/21/21 4:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

So which ‘takes’ specifically are you finding to be weird?

PostPosted: 01/22/21 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
But that our system and our party could only deliver this tired old piece of meat up to the highest office in the land and leader of the free world, well, I would hold that shit up as Exhibit 1 in making my case that this is a failed nation on a steep downward curve to further misery and disaster.

And I disagree, on a 180 level. His election, despite his flaws and BECAUSE OF HIS STRENGTHS -- which do exist -- tells me that We The People rallied, and by 10 million votes, took down 45, who WAS the largest leap on that "steep downward curve" you name. I posit that Biden's victory (not necessarily his future agenda) is a sign of The People getting it done, and thwarting the *steepness* of our downward curve. Which may be only a glimmer of hope, but....better than if he'd failed.

jammerbirdi wrote:
This is a waste of time. In the future I'm going to just stop responding when things go this far off the rails.

I did not make a quantitive comparison between the two. Which is what you're doing. I don’t know what it’s called but I was saying they were alike meaning in terms of being of a kind meaning having many similarities.

So, you're saying that on a QUALITATIVE level, they're equivalent? That's purely an opinion, and you're entitled to err on that as much as I might err in mine. But I still contend that "quantity" does impact "quality" in this discussion.

jammerbirdi wrote:
Show me Joe Biden saying "I lied about my college record." Show me. I believe you're wrong. It's my recollection that Biden only said that he misspoke. But I wouldn’t care much if he did admit that he lied. I’ve already said I don’t believe in redemption and forgiveness at this level. I only care that he lied and what he lied about and for what reason.

Consider yourself 'shown' (and for the record, "misspoke" is a euphemism for "lied". Wink )

jammerbirdi wrote:
But that doesn't mean that I can't point out his considerable character flaws and level criticisms at him either in real time, historically or preemptively or that I can't creatively put together and share a thought like saying that Biden is a career politician version of Trump, which I wholeheartedly stand by. He is exactly that.
Biden is a career politician version of Trump. That statement is about Biden and I would be happy to debate it in the ways in which I actually meant it and not in the way that I did not mean it.

I certainly DO 'get' the fact that you're primarily going after Biden and what he represents in this thread. And so it shall continue. But. Context is huge in this discussion, imo.

I shall conclude my thoughts with the simple statement: Biden has never been a cult-leader demagogue who has CONSTANTLY lied and used divisiveness as a political tool. Trump has been all of that. Ergo, they are NOT qualitatively equivalent.

PostPosted: 01/22/21 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Consider yourself 'shown' (and for the record, "misspoke" is a euphemism for "lied". Wink

Excuse me but WHAT? Consider myself SHOWN? You didn't just say that.

You said Biden admitted he lied. I said he did not. That, at best, my recollection was that he only said he misspoke. You refute me with this?

Biden Admits Errors and Criticizes Latest Report

By E. J. Dionne Jr., Special To the New York Times
Sept. 22, 1987

Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr. issued a formal statement today acknowledging that he had misstated several facts about his past last April in a campaign appearance in New Hampshire.

But the Delaware Democrat insisted today, as he had Sunday night in an interview with The New York Times, that some of the disputed statements were true and that his misstatements were the product of a faulty memory and the fact that he lost his temper.

Mr. Biden, whose Presidential campaign has been shaken by news reports about his unattributed use of speeches from other politicians and a plagiarism incident while he was in law school, said in The Times interview that he was ''frustrated'' and ''angry as hell'' over the reports.

Mr. Biden was going through his political agony even as he presided over hearings tonight on the confirmation of Judge Robert H. Bork to the Supreme Court. Exhausted top aides found their attention constantly torn between the crucial hearings and their principal's political future. Intends to Stay in Race

Late tonight, for example, Mr. Biden called a meeting of his senior staff to discuss the effects of the recent developments on his campaign. But senior aides said they did not know if it would even take place as the Bork hearings dragged into the night. Although a high-level aide denied that Mr. Biden was contemplating withdrawing from the race, several Washington politicians here said they believed he was considering this possibility.

On Sunday night, Mr. Biden said emphatically that he intended to remain a candidate for the Democratic Presidential nomination. ''I think if I can get by the next week, I can pull out of this if I can just get my story across,'' he said.

———————————————————————————————————>

He lied. Okay? And he never admitted to lying as you said he did. He said this elaborate fantastic lie was due to him having a faulty memory (of finishing first in his class at law school) and he was just frustrated and angry.

So he LIED about his lying. But you're saying no, that's just him admitting lying. Incredible.

He was exposed as a liar by an earlier more responsible and less biased generation of our news media and he had to end his run for president BECAUSE of this.

But you don't see it that way. In fact, you're actually arguing on his behalf and refuting me and telling me none of this happened as I'm saying it happened.

Howee wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Biden is a career politician version of Trump. That statement is about Biden and I would be happy to debate it in the ways in which I actually meant it and not in the way that I did not mean it.

I shall conclude my thoughts with the simple statement: Biden has never been a cult-leader demagogue who has CONSTANTLY lied and used divisiveness as a political tool. Trump has been all of that. Ergo, they are NOT qualitatively equivalent.

Roger wilco, over and out.

PostPosted: 03/06/21 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amanda Gorman Says Security Guard Confronted Her, Saying She Looked ‘Suspicious’

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/05/us/amanda-gorman-security-guard.html

Quote:
“A security guard tailed me on my walk home tonight,” Ms. Gorman wrote on Twitter. “He demanded if I lived there because ‘you look suspicious.’ I showed my keys & buzzed myself into my building. He left, no apology. This is the reality of black girls: One day you’re called an icon, the next day, a threat.”

Ms. Gorman said in another tweet: “In a sense, he was right. I AM A THREAT: a threat to injustice, to inequality, to ignorance. Anyone who speaks the truth and walks with hope is an obvious and fatal danger to the powers that be.”

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: