RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Fans for 2021 season

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDHoops

PostPosted: 01/22/21 5:48 am    ::: Fans for 2021 season Reply Reply with quote

I brought this up in the NCAA forum and yes Bob, I will do my best to keep bodily fluids out of the discussion! Wink

Okay so what about those of us who are vaccinated? I'd be gladly willing to show my card when the time comes to show that I've received both doses. I would also be gladly willing to adhere to any mask requirements and any seating requirements, such as sitting so far apart from other fans, in upper bowls only, etc.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/22/21 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The issue, as I understand it, is this:

1) The vaccine prevents infection; or
2) The vaccine inhibits symptoms.

If the former, then a vaccinated person is safe in crowds.

If the latter, then a vaccinated person could be asymptomatic and pass on the disease.

At this point, no one knows which one the vaccine does, or if it does both.

PostPosted: 01/22/21 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean, if they push back the start of the season MAYBE. No shade, but the W could probably maintain it's recent attendance numbers and still adhere to social distancing guidelines, so maybe.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/22/21 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I mean, if they push back the start of the season MAYBE. No shade, but the W could probably maintain it's recent attendance numbers and still adhere to social distancing guidelines, so maybe.

In larger arenas, maybe, but then you have to open, clean, staff, and re-clean more space than you budgeted for. That adds up; that's why teams in NBA arenas have sometimes been reluctant to open up extra seating, even for highly desirable games. And in smaller arenas like Washington or Atlanta, or even Connecticut, I'm not so sure attendance/space math works.

Also, WBB fans are... not good at social distancing. I mean this as a compliment! At least in my experience as a Liberty fan, we tend to gather up in groups and chat, because where and when else are we going to get to go on and on and on about our team? And a lot of us have friends and acquaintances and neighbors we only ever see at games. But that sort of behavior is not really congruous with a pandemic where you can't get too close to people you don't live with. Combine that with the fact that a lot of W fans fall in at least one high-risk group, and without a high rate of successful vaccination, we would have a major problem. "WNBA game as super-spreader event" is not the kind of PR we need.

PostPosted: 01/23/21 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

In larger arenas, maybe, but then you have to open, clean, staff, and re-clean more space than you budgeted for. That adds up; that's why teams in NBA arenas have sometimes been reluctant to open up extra seating, even for highly desirable games. And in smaller arenas like Washington or Atlanta, or even Connecticut, I'm not so sure attendance/space math works.

Also, WBB fans are... not good at social distancing. I mean this as a compliment! At least in my experience as a Liberty fan, we tend to gather up in groups and chat, because where and when else are we going to get to go on and on and on about our team? And a lot of us have friends and acquaintances and neighbors we only ever see at games. But that sort of behavior is not really congruous with a pandemic where you can't get too close to people you don't live with. Combine that with the fact that a lot of W fans fall in at least one high-risk group, and without a high rate of successful vaccination, we would have a major problem. "WNBA game as super-spreader event" is not the kind of PR we need.

I have to say-I own a restaurant and I've been around crowds this entire time, following strict protocols of course, and I would 100% go to a game. At this point, especially since the W is played during the summer months, what's the difference of shuffling people around to their seats and having people wandering around packed stores? As long as the seats are socially distanced, I see no reason why there shouldn't be fans in every arena.

I know this is the W board, but I live in Syracuse, which has ABYSMAL crowds for the Syracuse women. I am a season ticket holder and they're lucky if they get 1,000 fans a game......in a dome that seats 32,000 for basketball. The team is good, the dome is GIGANTIC, and they 110% could've had fans safely watching games this year(I understand, government restrictions). Frankly, I would feel more safe watching a game at the Dome than I do at any Wegman's I've been to in the past ten months.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: