RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sortable Detailed WNBA Salary Pages

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/31/20 3:36 pm    ::: Sortable Detailed WNBA Salary Pages Reply Reply with quote

Newly released today, just in time for free agency, what we hope will be your new destination for WNBA roster/salary information. Pretty colours and symbols to help distinguish things, glossary and explanations of terms underneath (or even more detail in the CBA FAQ if you want it), future year info along with roster totals and everything else. Take a look and let us know what could be improved, or if you notice any mistakes. This will hopefully be a consistently updated reference section into the future as well.

https://herhoopstats.com/salary-cap-sheet/wnba/team/

PostPosted: 12/31/20 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tired of saying great work, Richyyy. Wink

PostPosted: 12/31/20 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks good to me -- nice and clean and complete. The best thing is that you can click on the player's name and immediately see her stats. Then you can decide if she's worth the money she's getting. Smile

What is Raincock-Ekunwe's status? She was Reserved last season, but never signed her contract. Can NY make another qualifying offer this season to retain her rights? Not that it matters since this will again be an Olympic year (presumably) and Nayo will probably skip the WNBA once more.

PostPosted: 12/31/20 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
What is Raincock-Ekunwe's status? She was Reserved last season, but never signed her contract. Can NY make another qualifying offer this season to retain her rights? Not that it matters since this will again be an Olympic year (presumably) and Nayo will probably skip the WNBA once more.

Yes, New York still hold her exclusive rights. I'm not 100% sure whether she's Reserved or 'Suspended-Contract Expired', but they amount to the same thing. We've ultimately only included people in the data here who were at least vaguely involved or mentioned within the 2020 season framework. Otherwise you end up having to track down which random foreigners still have their rights held and stuff like that (by which I mean the likes of Alba Torrens, rather than Canadians who were in the league two years ago, but you have to draw a line somewhere).

Thanks for the positive comments, people.

PostPosted: 12/31/20 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adding to the sentiments about the high quality of your work, as per usual. Very Happy

Something subtle that I noticed that I didn't know before: Drafted rookies who complete less than the four years of service within their rookie contracts tend to become Reserved players at the end of the contract and not automatically RFAs. But at the same time, if I'm reading this right, their team can actually choose to give the player a Reserved QO or a Restricted QO. What would be the benefit for the team to give the player a Restricted QO rather than a Reserved one?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/31/20 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
What would be the benefit for the team to give the player a Restricted QO rather than a Reserved one?

We literally couldn't think of one Smile. The possibility to do either may only be a technical option that no one's ever really considered or bothered to notice. Drafted players who miss a season during their rookie scale deal end up Reserved because you need four years of service to become a restricted free agent, but the CBA also says you can give a restricted qualifying offer to a player coming off their fourth-year option (without specifying that they have to have actually played all four years). I suppose, theoretically, if you had someone who was saying "I'm not going to show up for the qualifying offer, I'm worth X, so pay me it" then you could make them restricted instead and tell them to set their own price by going out on the market and seeing what someone would offer them. But that's very unlikely.

Fourth-year options are going to become much more interesting starting next year, because the new CBA added literally one line to that section. For any rookie-scale contract signed under the new CBA (so starting with the Ionescu class), if the team takes up that 4th-year option, it becomes guaranteed. So it's a much more meaningful decision for the team, because that money is going to count on their cap (and the deadline to decide is May 15 after their second season - so basically before their third year has been played). We could see a lot more option years declined.

PostPosted: 12/31/20 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lol even coring an RFA makes more sense than giving a Reserved QO-eligible player a Restricted QO. Laughing

The guaranteed fourth-year team option will certainly add some drama to teams' cap situations in 2022. I tried looking but couldn't find if it's still true that teams can carry no more than 6 protected/guaranteed standard contracts – is that still true?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/31/20 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
The guaranteed fourth-year team option will certainly add some drama to teams' cap situations in 2022. I tried looking but couldn't find if it's still true that teams can carry no more than 6 protected/guaranteed standard contracts – is that still true?

The limit is still six but those fourth-year options don't count. It's six protected veteran contracts (that's the whole reason that the symbol/designation in our tables says 'Protected Veteran' - because there's also going to be 'Protected Rookie' or 'Protected Rookie-Scale' or whatever later on).

PostPosted: 12/31/20 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotcha. So the fourth-year rookies won't be considered protected veterans since they'll still in fact be on their original rookie contracts. Thanks for the clarification. Welp, as if we needed more assurance that allllll those rookies New York has won't all be there at the start of the 2023 season! Razz

Randy

PostPosted: 01/01/21 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow - this great!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/19/21 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just wanted to bump these to mention that they're being constantly updated to current situations (including suspensions, releases, hardship signings and everything else). We're always happy to hear comments or suggestions if there's something you think can be improved or there's anything that doesn't make sense.

And while I'm obviously biased, please do use these if you're looking for WNBA salary information. The few alternatives out there are pretty deeply flawed.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: