RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Transfers/Injuries/Sit-Outs 2020-21
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/16/20 12:49 pm    ::: Transfers/Injuries/Sit-Outs 2020-21 Reply Reply with quote

I think it's time for a fresh start and a new header.

Aixa Wone Aranaz (6'3 F, Pamplona, Spain) has received a waiver allowing her to play immediately at Georgia Tech. She transferred from Ohio State following her freshman season.

PostPosted: 11/02/20 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two graduate transfers involving Cal.

Alaysia Styles will finish her career at Maryland. She is graduating from Cal this semester and will be immediately eligible for this season, probably at the start of 2021.

Jadyn Bush from Harvard will transfer to Cal for the 21-22 season after graduating this year. I believe that she will still play for Harvard this season, assuming that the Ivy League plays.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/03/20 1:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:

Jadyn Bush from Harvard will transfer to Cal for the 21-22 season after graduating this year. I believe that she will still play for Harvard this season, assuming that the Ivy League plays.

There is literally no possible way in which that scenario can happen. She entered the transfer portal and committed to a scholarship at Cal, meaning she absolutely cannot play for Harvard this season. She will be graduating in the Spring, but I would have to think that she has forgone her Harvard scholarship for the 20 and will be finishing her degree out-of-pocket. That is the only situation that makes sense from a legal stand point, as far as I understand.

Anyone else got an opinion on this?

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/03/20 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

There is literally no possible way in which that scenario can happen. She entered the transfer portal and committed to a scholarship at Cal, meaning she absolutely cannot play for Harvard this season. She will be graduating in the Spring, but I would have to think that she has forgone her Harvard scholarship for the 20 and will be finishing her degree out-of-pocket. That is the only situation that makes sense from a legal stand point, as far as I understand.

The Ivy league doesn't give out athletic scholarships, sooooo.

And, aren't scholarships 1 year contracts that renews every year?

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 11/03/20 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Basketball scholarships are not one year renewables. Because of the various rules involved, including the sit-out transfer rules, they are four year scholarships. True, the Ivy league does not give athletic scholarships, but they find the money through various grants and foundations so that the athletes pay very little, if anything at all.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/03/20 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

I think it's a moot point. Covid cases are surging again in much of the Northeast, the Ivies aren't playing sports until Jan 1st at the earliest, half of them don't even have any athletic participation on campus yet (e.g. gyms are closed) Harvard isn't having any students on campus for the spring semester, and their men's BB team reportedly won't play this year. I'll be surprised if this women's basketball season materializes.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/04/20 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Destiny Strother who transferred from Marquette to Pittsburgh after this past season was granted a waiver by the NCAA and is immediately eligible to play for Pitt during the 20-21 season - she'll have 3 years of eligibiltiy at Pitt - https://pittsburghpanthers.com/news/2020/11/4/womens-basketball-destiny-strother-granted-ncaa-waiver-immediately-eligible-for-2020-21-season.aspx

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 11/04/20 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carmen Backes has hung up her basketball shoes for good. She was supposed to play for Wisconsin, but has redshirted the past two years because of knee injuries. She posted on Instagram that she had surgery a couple weeks ago that was supposed to be minor, but ended up being much more than she expected. She was very highly ranked out of high school, and a wonderful player to watch. So natural, so talented and graceful. Definitely a loss for the game of basketball.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 11/04/20 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Courtney Fredrickson grad-transferred from Wisconsin to Depaul for this season. However, she has now retired as well, due to a knee injury.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 11/09/20 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
Courtney Fredrickson grad-transferred from Wisconsin to Depaul for this season. However, she has now retired as well, due to a knee injury.

Do you have a source? I can’t find anything on her retirement.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 11/09/20 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

Do you have a source? I can’t find anything on her retirement.

It is on her Instagram 2 weeks ago. Full_court24

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/10/20 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU Freshman G Bailey Williams is doing classes from home and will redshirt this year. Given that the Dukes have a bounty of PGs this year with Brianna Tinsley and Maddie Green equally able to start and possibly Jamia Hazell able to back them up, that's not a bad decision on her part.

PostPosted: 12/08/20 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel Reese, Maryland frosh, out 6 weeks with broken foot

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.swishappeal.com/platform/amp/ncaa/2020/12/5/22155745/ncaaw-angel-reese-foot-fracture-maryland-terrapins-big-ten-ashley-owusu-diamond-miller

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/08/20 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kansas State center Ayoka Lee hasn’t played since sustaining an ankle injury in season opener.

https://themercury.com/k_state_sports/uncertainty-surrounds-ayoka-lee-as-injury-bug-bites-k-state-womens-basketball/article_9de3ae1c-659f-55fa-a85b-d64af6cab9bf.html

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/08/20 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Angel Reese, Maryland frosh, out 6 weeks with broken foot

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.swishappeal.com/platform/amp/ncaa/2020/12/5/22155745/ncaaw-angel-reese-foot-fracture-maryland-terrapins-big-ten-ashley-owusu-diamond-miller

It's 12 weeks, and a big loss for them.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/09/20 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vandy cancelled their first three games due to multiple positive COVID tests, and now this from Demi Washington's twitter.

Quote:
@thedemiwash
Following a case of COVID-19, I have recently been diagnosed with myocarditis and will not be able to play this season. While I am disappointed, I look forward to supporting my teammates and returning to the court soon

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2020/12/07/vanderbilt-womens-basketball-player-covid-19-myocarditis-demi-washington-out-season/6484351002/

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/18/20 2:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nyah Green is yet the latest guard to transfer from Louisville. Considering she redshirted last season over concerns with playing time, hopefully she chooses wisely and goes somewhere where she can be the star, because she definitely has the talent.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/18/20 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lady Vols have lost grad transfer Keyen Green for the season with a lower leg injury suffered in practice. Senior F Jaiden McCoy is day-to-day with a head injury, also suffered in practice. McCoy is the original hard luck kid.

PostPosted: 12/18/20 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Nyah Green is yet the latest guard to transfer from Louisville. Considering she redshirted last season over concerns with playing time, hopefully she chooses wisely and goes somewhere where she can be the star, because she definitely has the talent.

Wow, she was a real hot prospect in high school, and only the second McD AA ever to redshirt as a freshman for non-health reasons.

It seems obvious that she wants immediate starting minutes. Would she get that at close-to-home Texas or Baylor? At recent transfer destinations such as South Carolina, Oregon or Notre Dame? Many possibilities.
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/18/20 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Wow, she was a real hot prospect in high school, and only the second McD AA ever to redshirt as a freshman for non-health reasons.

Who was the other, out of curiosity?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/18/20 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Who was the other, out of curiosity?

More precisely, Green was the only McD AA, boys or girls, to redshirt for non-health reasons as a freshman over the past eight years. The other player was Loretta Kakala in 2017, also at Louisville. According to this article:

Quote:
Each year, 24 boys and 24 girls are named to the prestigious high school McDonald’s All-American team, but Green is only the second player — excluding several who dealt with injuries — to redshirt in the past eight seasons. That's 384 boys and girls McDonald's All-Americans during that time, with only Green and Kakala choosing to redshirt. On the men’s side, no healthy McDonald’s All-American has redshirted since Duke’s Marshall Plumlee in 2011.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/18/20 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
The Lady Vols have lost grad transfer Keyen Green for the season with a lower leg injury suffered in practice. Senior F Jaiden McCoy is day-to-day with a head injury, also suffered in practice. McCoy is the original hard luck kid.

It gets worse. Green has an ACL, and KJH reportedly said she hopes McCoy is back by the end of the year.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/18/20 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

It gets worse. Green has an ACL, and KJH reportedly said she hopes McCoy is back by the end of the year.

Crying or Very sad

- Amanda Gorman
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/18/20 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Crying or Very sad

I am Crying or Very sad ing. Key and KK have largely been ineffective on both ends of the courts, and losing both of their backups is worrisome.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/19/20 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
myrtle wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Crying or Very sad

I am Crying or Very sad ing. Key and KK have largely been ineffective on both ends of the courts, and losing both of their backups is worrisome.

Oh man, THAT sucks!!!! I have really rooted for Jaiden. That kid has had the worst luck ever since she was originally recruited to LA Tech. ~SMDH~ It's like she has a dark cloud over her head. Crying or Very sad And I'm doubly mad at Mimi Collins for leaving without giving Kellie a chance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: