RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Queen’s Gambit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 11/02/20 11:51 am    ::: The Queen’s Gambit Reply Reply with quote

If anyone needs to hit the escape hatch on the next couple of days, this is the way to go. Another of the best things I’ve ever seen and I’d go as far as saying that it’s the best thing I’ve ever seen. Netflix. One too short but nonetheless perfect limited series run. Will seriously transport you to a place far far away.

PostPosted: 11/02/20 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation. It's difficult to wade through all the junk on television now to find a gem.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/04/20 4:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, an unexpectedly excellent mini-series movie about an unexpectedly interesting subject. A female Paul Morphy-like or Bobby Fischer-like chess phenom arises out of an orphanage in Kentucky, but has to face down not only the indomitable Russian chess machine but also many personal and family demons. The lead actress may be a star someday.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/04/20 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love finding movies and mini-series about subjects unknown to me. Over the summer, I watched The Aeronauts on Amazon, which was about early hot air balloonists. The movie was good, but its subject was fascinating.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 11/04/20 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Yes, an unexpectedly excellent mini-series movie about an unexpectedly interesting subject. A female Paul Morphy-like or Bobby Fischer-like chess phenom arises out of an orphanage in Kentucky, but has to face down not only the indomitable Russian chess machine but also many personal and family demons. The lead actress may be a star someday.

We were talking about the casting a lot. Both the boarding school age and adult actresses playing the lead were just magnetic. The adult, Anya Taylor-Joy, not conventionally beautiful by a long shot, looks instead like an artist’s drawing of a comic book heroine. At times you felt like you were watching an animation.

PostPosted: 11/06/20 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In reading some reviews of the movie, I saw a link to a chess playing website. So I went there and, for the first time since I was a kid, began playing chess. It's just against the easiest level of the computer program, but I've been doing okay, learning a lot, and it's started to become addictive.
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 11/06/20 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
In reading some reviews of the movie, I saw a link to a chess playing website. So I went there and, for the first time since I was a kid, began playing chess. It's just against the easiest level of the computer program, but I've been doing okay, learning a lot, and it's started to become addictive.

There’s an app called Really Bad Chess. I’ve been playing two games a night as I go to sleep most every day for the last 4-5 years. It’s crazy and fun. Both sides start the game with a bunch of random pieces. Like four queens and six bishops, etc. Bishops in front. You have to be on the attack from your first move.

It’s very hard to play real chess after playing that for a while. I just suck at real chess. I had the chess openings book when I was younger. My mind will not forward focus like good chess demands. Something just doesn’t line up in my brain that way. But i do pretty well with this Really Bad Chess stuff.

PostPosted: 11/07/20 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m a Chess Expert. Here’s What ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ Gets Right

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/03/arts/television/chess-queens-gambit.html?

PostPosted: 05/22/21 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anya Taylor-Joy currently hosting the season finale of SNL.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/28/21 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
We were talking about the casting a lot. Both the boarding school age and adult actresses playing the lead were just magnetic. The adult, Anya Taylor-Joy, not conventionally beautiful by a long shot, looks instead like an artist’s drawing of a comic book heroine. At times you felt like you were watching an animation.

Shocked Wow, what does YOUR wife look like? What qualifies you to even comment on women's beauty standards, old man? And, also, how is this even remotely relevant to the conversation of the quality of the show? The purpose of that statement (especially the "by a long shot" part...actaully WTF?) could ONLY be to point out the fact that she's not beautiful by your (fucked up) standards. I don't care how much you liked the show, that commment was straight-up sexist and insulting to women.

PostPosted: 05/28/21 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Make no mistake. This is still a place where someone can voice the opinion that an actress is not conventionally beautiful without fear of being attacked or labeled with horrible accusations according to the latest trends in limiting free speech. That’s what this place is for. And if you can’t tolerate the opinions of others without cursing at them and attacking them personally for sharing their thoughts then maybe you shouldn’t put that fact on blast right in my face. Idea

PostPosted: 05/30/21 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

Jammer, you and I are "Old White Men" -- we dare not speak of women thusly. Out loud. In public. Razz Laughing
I know what you mean in describing Anya: "conventional beauty" as defined by Hollywood is not her main draw. I feel the same way about Meryl Streep; she's not stunningly gorgeous, but she IS stunningly talented. I'd gladly apply the very same concept to any number of male stars.

On that note, I recently caught a new(er) movie called "Wild Honey", starring 2 people whose names I can't remember*. They're remarkably plain, ordinary looking people, but it's a marvelous little love story whose best feature is that it's about believably real people, who are believable and real because they're plain and ordinary.

*look it up....it's deserving of your google clicks.

PostPosted: 06/21/21 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These are visual arts. Everything within that frame is there as a result of choices made by those who created this work. Any thinking person who has seen TQG should know how important the unusual appearance of the lead actress is to the visuals presented on the screen and how important that is to the overall uniqueness of the entire project. In this case, one could not lose an argument asserting that the visual impact that is so essential to the show is overwhelmingly dependent on the unique look of the lead actress.

To assert that creatively thinking people cannot recognize all of this and assess why and how much it might matter to the overall impact of a visual art presentation like TQG or any other aspect of this show because of a perspective that seeks to politicize any discussion of a woman’s appearance as being inappropriate and misogynistic is a pretty solid example of a shortsighted and strident political agenda shit stomping into a field like the arts in an attempt to crush thought and judgements that lead to creative choices like the ones that led the creative minds behind this series to choose this particular actress and her particularly unusual look as the foundation on which to build the entire visual look and impact of their incredible project.

But here’s the thing. It’s not just creative people, which I claim myself to be, who are permitted to comment on things like this. We can’t say that only the filmmakers and only proven creative individuals or only women or only any select group of people can offer a comment on some aspect of a visual art. We can’t dictate who is allowed to make a comment voicing an opinion on what they’ve seen in a movie or television show or in a painting or photograph or advertising or anything else where someone else behind that piece of visual art made specific choices for specific reasons in terms of casting or selecting a specific subject to place in front of their creative lens in order to create a specific visual impact.

We can’t deny anyone and everyone the right to voice their thoughts and opinions on movies or anything else in these areas. People have a right to their thoughts and opinions and have the right to share them in any context or forum or conversation where these types of things are being discussed.

This isn’t a boss or co-worker commenting by making and offering verbal judgments about the appearance or attractiveness of another person in his or her midst in the workplace.

The unusual and unconventional beauty of the actress in this show is very real. It ended up on the screen as a very important part of the overall visual impact this show most definitely has as a result of the INTENTIONAL decisions of those who created the show. They were incredibly successful in achieving what they set out to do with the casting of their lead actress, their use of makeup, color, costuming, camera lenses and shooting angles and perspectives and even special effects. The visual impact of this show is stunning.

To suggest that someone, anyone, can not or should not feel free to discuss any aspect of any of this is absolutely ridiculous.

People who would try to enforce their political agendas upon others having conversations in this and so many other areas have likely never thought deeply enough about a subject like the making of a movie or television series or any other visual art to have an appreciation of just how many creative choices are made in order to deliver unto the viewer the final product that appears on our television screens at home.

They are naive in these areas. Naïveté can manifest itself in many ways. It doesn’t just mean that a person is gullible. The great photographer Walker Evans referred to something he observed in certain of our fellow Americans as a “satanic” naïveté. I would suggest that this is that.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok, I really wanted to leave this alone. But since you brought it back up, I will explain to you why I was so triggered / offended by your post:

You absolutely did not imply with your original phrasing that you thought the CHARACTER, as she was presented in "The Queen's Gambit" was not conventionally beautiful.

You implied the ACTRESS playing her was not conventionally beauitiful, and you stated it as an incontrovertible fact. You even posted along side it a professional shot of her out of character.

So, yeah, I was triggered...because an exceptionally talented woman at the top of her field was being called out for her looks in a way that was arbitrary and unconstructive...in a community dedicated to WOMEN'S BASKETBALL.

And that, as I percieved it, was a really rough disconnect for me.

Yes, everybody here absolutely has the right to say whetever they want to say on this board or anywhere else.

But nobody in the WORLD has the right to say whatever they want on the internet without fear of argument. Not on messageboards that they moderate, not anywhere. That is not the world we live in. Believing otherwise is the modern definition of insanity.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: