RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2023 Women's World Cup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 12/13/19 2:20 pm    ::: 2023 Women's World Cup Reply Reply with quote

https://www.fifa.com/womens-football/news/fifa-women-s-world-cup-2023tm-four-bids-submitted

Four bids officially submitted. Japan, Brazil, Colombia and a joint bid of Australia and New Zealand. South Africa, South Korea, Argentina and Belgium all withdrew from bidding before the deadline.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 12/14/19 9:30 am    ::: Re: 2023 Women's World Cup Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
https://www.fifa.com/womens-football/news/fifa-women-s-world-cup-2023tm-four-bids-submitted

Four bids officially submitted. Japan, Brazil, Colombia and a joint bid of Australia and New Zealand. South Africa, South Korea, Argentina and Belgium all withdrew from bidding before the deadline.

Australia and NZ will get it and honestly if I hit the stars right if consider the long azz flight to Sydney or Melbourne for a few games

Brazil has too many political problems and can they dust off the maracana in time only appeal is its an exotic locale with only a 1-4 hour time difference from the US

I'd actually say Colombia would be better suited given again short time difference...heat may be an issue in some places tho and be honest they ain't got a prayer

Japan yawwwnnnn expensive and a looonnngggg trip and the time difference makes it unwatchable in the us...China was bad enough tho China's willingness to stage events late at night early in morning helped (remember China and NY are direct flips of each other lol AM is PM)

Australia at least worked around time difference

I think it's between Australia and Brazil and my gut says Aussie

But im pulling for Columbia its really cleaned up itself from the cocaine era of the 80s and 90s and is a beautiful country with much more stability than Brazil at the moment (tho the FARC still looms they aren't a direct conflict as in past)

PostPosted: 12/14/19 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Japan has a slight edge as they're hosting the Olympics in 2020. New & updated venues. But I prefer the AUS/NZL bid, too. Brazil & Colombia don't stand a chance.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/22/20 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Japan has withdrawn it's bid to host the 2023 WWC. Brazil withdrew on June 8. Leaves just Colombia and the joint bid of Australia-NewZealand.

FIFA will announce the host of the 2023 WWC on June 25.

http://www.jfa.jp/about_jfa/news/00025032/?utm_source=jfa&utm_medium=kv/

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 06/22/20 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expect the Australia-New Zealand bid to win.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/23/20 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
I expect the Australia-New Zealand bid to win.

It's being reported they'll be given the hosting rights on Thursday. It was expected to be close if Japan stayed in, but Colombia's bid wasn't well put together. Not sure what time the announcement will take place on Thursday?

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 06/23/20 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Japan had stayed in I would have liked them to get it. I despise combined bids. If you can't host by yourself, you shouldn't be in the running.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/23/20 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
If Japan had stayed in I would have liked them to get it. I despise combined bids. If you can't host by yourself, you shouldn't be in the running.

Australia was planning to bid solo only if it had stayed at 24 teams. But once they increased it to 32, they combined with New Zealand.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 06/24/20 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you can't host it by yourself, you shouldn't entertain the Cup. There are other countries that can host a 32-team Cup. Heck, TEXAS can do it by itself.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 06/25/20 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's official---Australia/New Zealand to co-host the 2023 World Cup. Aus/NZ won the vote over Colombia 22-13.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/25/20 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
It's official---Australia/New Zealand to co-host the 2023 World Cup. Aus/NZ won the vote over Colombia 22-13.

UEFA basically voted for Colombia. CONCACAF, CAF & AFC voted for AUS/NZ.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/25/20 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

8 more slots will see some uneven scores come 2023.

I'd guess:

Hosts: 2
UEFA: 11
AFC: 5.5
CAF: 4
CONCACAF: 5.5
CONMEBOL: 3.5
OFC: 0.5

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 06/25/20 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You'd think with 32 teams FIFA would give a full slot to every confederation. OFC still given the shaft and not seen as really a full fledged confederation.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/26/20 5:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
You'd think with 32 teams FIFA would give a full slot to every confederation. OFC still given the shaft and not seen as really a full fledged confederation.

it's certainly plausible to give OFC a full slot, but the fact that no other team from OFC outside of New Zealand has even qualified could justify the .5 slot.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 06/26/20 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to qualify when the deck is stacked against you. A Catch-22. On the Men's side, in 2026 OFC is getting a full spot even though only Indonesia (1 cup) is the only country outside of New Zealand to qualify. I just don't like the half-spots. Every confederation should get to send it's champion to the cup---otherwise, what's the point? Combine OFC and AFC into a mega confederation and be done with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: