RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Joe Biden Speaking Gaffes Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 03/10/20 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Talking about an "AR-14" (a thing that does not exist) then flatly lying about saying he would put Beto O'Rourke in charge of gun policy is most definitely a gaffe

Calling it an AR-14 instead of a 15 is hardly a gaffe. And where are you getting that he lied about saying he would put Beto in charge of gun policy? The guy mentioned that, but Biden never really responded. He just returned to the idea that making assault rifles illegal is not the same as opposing the 2nd amendment, that all amendments give room for reasonable regulation (like shouting fire, or not owning machine guns).

Seriously, the people this exchange will turn off are people who already aren't going to vote for him and he has no realistic chance of convincing otherwise.

His biggest problem here is the same as it's always been; Biden's not a smooth off-the-cuff speaker, so while you can parse what he is trying to say, it's kind of all over the place. But I have a hard time calling that a gaffe, as that's just who he is.

PostPosted: 03/10/20 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
Talking about an "AR-14" (a thing that does not exist) then flatly lying about saying he would put Beto O'Rourke in charge of gun policy is most definitely a gaffe

Calling it an AR-14 instead of a 15 is hardly a gaffe. And where are you getting that he lied about saying he would put Beto in charge of gun policy? The guy mentioned that, but Biden never really responded. He just returned to the idea that making assault rifles illegal is not the same as opposing the 2nd amendment, that all amendments give room for reasonable regulation (like shouting fire, or not owning machine guns).

Seriously, the people this exchange will turn off are people who already aren't going to vote for him and he has no realistic chance of convincing otherwise.

His biggest problem here is the same as it's always been; Biden's not a smooth off-the-cuff speaker, so while you can parse what he is trying to say, it's kind of all over the place. But I have a hard time calling that a gaffe, as that's just who he is.

He is a gaffe. On that we can agree.

PostPosted: 03/10/20 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

He is a gaffe. On that we can agree.

Haha. Pretty much, yes

He can be reliably counted on to stumble over his words or ramble on in some less-than-coherent fashion. He's very Bush the Second in that way.

It's what scares me about his chances as a candidate.

But this same point made with the same colorful language is a politically sound strategy. Ideally he just would have done it without the rambling and spoken more fluidly...or in other words, he would have been someone other than himself.

PostPosted: 03/10/20 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone other than himself sounds like exactly the type of person I could vote for!

(were I actually eligible to vote)

PostPosted: 03/10/20 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1237403481314598918?s=21

Biden said:

- “You are full of shit”
- “Don’t be a horses ass”
- “An AR is a machine gun!”
- "I'm not working for you"

Way to persuade those voters, Joe

That wasn't a gaffe. Biden's own team has been sharing the link to that video.

The guy he was getting into it with was obviously never going to vote for him (or for any Democrat), and as a white male he can say things like that without stereotypes being used against him. Now there's a viral video plus tons of media coverage of him forcefully answering one of the GOPs major talking points to appeal to potential swing voters, while him answering a Trump voter's BS forcefully will appeal to the left and those who might be questioning whether he will let Trump walk all over him.

My guess is this response was not unplanned. Not that it would necessarily be this specific guy, or at this specific event, or about this specific question, but rather just a general plan on how to respond and with what tone to frame it when someone inevitably approached him like this.

I agree . . . in this instance. But his tongue and lips are still likely to hurt him more than help him, as they have all his career outside of Delaware.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/25/20 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://deadline.com/2020/03/joe-biden-gaffe-alert-stuns-the-view-by-claiming-coronavirus-cure-will-make-the-problem-worse-1202891856/

Quote:
“Are you at all concerned, as Trump said, that we cannot let the cure be worse than the problem itself?” Haines asked.

Biden noted in his reply that the COVID-19 cure “will make the problem worse, no matter what.”

PostPosted: 03/25/20 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://deadline.com/2020/03/joe-biden-gaffe-alert-stuns-the-view-by-claiming-coronavirus-cure-will-make-the-problem-worse-1202891856/

Quote:
“Are you at all concerned, as Trump said, that we cannot let the cure be worse than the problem itself?” Haines asked.

Biden noted in his reply that the COVID-19 cure “will make the problem worse, no matter what.”

I digress. I mean agree. The green grass. The grass needs mowed! Applesauce.

Last edited by jammerbirdi on 03/25/20 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 03/25/20 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saw an article that claims some Democrats are talking about somehow getting Cuomo selected at the convention.

Biden does best when the setting is large. But it occurs to me that the convention could be canceled or done in an online fashion.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/26/20 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

America..

has Harris, Castro, Booker, Gillibrand, Warren, Klobachar...all fantastic accomplished politicians to choose from..

America...

we'll take the old dudes.

PostPosted: 03/26/20 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

America..

has Harris, Castro, Booker, Gillibrand, Warren, Klobachar...all fantastic accomplished politicians to choose from..

America...

we'll take the old dudes.

THIS is most discouraging in its truth and reality.

PostPosted: 05/22/20 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.businessinsider.com/biden-trump-then-you-aint-black-breakfast-club-video-2020-5

Quote:
"Listen, you gotta come see us when you come to New York, VP Biden, because it's a long way until November and we got more questions," Charlamagne said.

"You got more questions? Well I'll tell you, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black," Biden said.

PostPosted: 05/22/20 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The orange circus is already on it.

PostPosted: 05/22/20 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wanda Sykes says ...

Quote:
Biden feels at home speaking to the Black community. He made a joke. Comedy ain’t easy, but he didn’t say 2 go shoot Clorox in our tits. Now, I wouldn’t make a blanket statement to say that voting for Trump means you’re not Black. I would say that it means you’re not smart.

https://twitter.com/iamwandasykes/status/1263934842401669122

pilight

PostPosted: 05/22/20 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I get that he was attempting a joke, but it didn't land and it's probably one he shouldn't be attempting

PostPosted: 05/22/20 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I get that he was attempting a joke, but it didn't land and it's probably one he shouldn't be attempting

I'd rather hear that than bragging about pussy-grabbing, etc.

As Wanda sez: it's about intelligence, not race. But I've had many an argument with GAYS that vote for trump. It's about like a Jew voting for Hitler.

PostPosted: 05/22/20 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

As Wanda sez: it's about intelligence, not race. But I've had many an argument with GAYS that vote for trump. It's about like a Jew voting for Hitler.

What rhetoric or policies does Trump have with regard to GAYS that are negative, let alone that would allow an analogy of Hitler/Jews?

sambista

PostPosted: 05/23/20 2:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

it was more revealing to me as his overconfidence that he can coast on the obama connection.

what a sad state we are in.

PostPosted: 05/23/20 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

What rhetoric or policies does Trump have with regard to GAYS that are negative, let alone that would allow an analogy of Hitler/Jews?

C'mon, Tfan....yer brighter than that!
Here's a dated list of offensive policies and trends. Google will flood you with more, if you chose to view it.

PostPosted: 05/23/20 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least he apologized, but god damn..this is why we shouldn't nominate 80 year old white men..we're just well passed that point. Confused

I'm just going to sit back and cross my fingers that his VP pick isn't Amy.

PostPosted: 05/23/20 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
tfan wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

C'mon, Tfan....yer brighter than that!
Here's a dated list of offensive policies and trends. Google will flood you with more, if you chose to view it.

Quote:
12.01.19 - For a third consecutive year, President Trump omits any mention of the LGBTQ community during his presidential proclamation recognizing December 1st as World AIDS Day.

He did mention the LGBTQ community during his Republican convention speech which surprised most of us.
The list is with regard to Trump Administration, not Trump comments as I expected. Was there a list for the Bush Administration? It seems like standard Republican fare done for or by the religious part of the party.

The list links to this article as proof of how Kayleigh McElheney lied about Trump LGBTQ hurtful policies. It says

Quote:
After winning election in 2016 on a campaign based on opposition to same-sex marriage, Trump said in an interview with “60 Minutes” Leslie Stahl he’s “fine” with the decision and consider the matter “settled.” The White House has subsequently said that demonstrates he came into office in support of same-sex marriage.

Seems a fact checker would label this as "mostly false" at best. He was asked by Chris Wallace in an interview if his remarks that any politician proposing a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage was "playing politics" meant he felt it was time to move on from the issue. Trump ultimately answered that he would strongly consider appointing judges who would overturn gay marriage. I don't find him making any other comments about gay marriage in the 2016 campaign. I guess "campaign based on" has a flexible definition, but the basis wasn't Trump condemning gay marriage and talking about overturning it in speeches or debates.

Last edited by tfan on 05/24/20 1:08 am; edited 5 times in total
tfan

PostPosted: 05/23/20 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

I'm just going to sit back and cross my fingers that his VP pick isn't Amy.

The interviewer said something about black voters saving Biden in the primaries and that they expect a black VP in return. I have seen comments by other black people who feel the same way.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/24/20 2:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Biden will get a huge majority of black voters no matter who his VP is, just as Democrat candidates always do.

The the solid blue states, some of which have lots of black voters, are his in any event. The solid red states, even those with lots of black voters in the South, Biden will lose in any event.

The real battle will be . . . surprise . . . the battleground states. Does a black woman VP in those states help him more than a well-credentialed white or Hispanic woman whose home is in a battleground state? Who really knows. A black woman VP might increase his already assured high black vote counts there, but if she's seen as inexperienced or a racial token, that may turn off equal numbers of non-black swing voters. A well-qualified white or Hispanic VP from a battleground/purple state may be a better overall vote-getter in the crunch.
sambista

PostPosted: 05/24/20 4:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Biden will get a huge majority of black voters no matter who his VP is, just as Democrat candidates always do.

The the solid blue states, some of which have lots of black voters, are his in any event. The solid red states, even those with lots of black voters in the South, Biden will lose in any event.

The real battle will be . . . surprise . . . the battleground states. Does a black woman VP in those states help him more than a well-credentialed white or Hispanic woman whose home is in a battleground state? Who really knows. A black woman VP might increase his already assured high black vote counts there, but if she's seen as inexperienced or a racial token, that may turn off equal numbers of non-black swing voters. A well-qualified white or Hispanic VP from a battleground/purple state may be a better overall vote-getter in the crunch.

i don't see how he doesn't tap warren. i don't care how well he gets along with her. really not the issue. not now.

PostPosted: 05/24/20 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Quote:
12.01.19 - For a third consecutive year, President Trump omits any mention of the LGBTQ community during his presidential proclamation recognizing December 1st as World AIDS Day.

He did mention the LGBTQ community during his Republican convention speech which surprised most of us. The list is with regard to Trump Administration, not Trump comments as I expected. Was there a list for the Bush Administration? It seems like standard Republican fare done for or by the religious part of the party.

What. Is. The. Existential. DIFFERENCE Question
His "administration" does not operate in a vacuum. *They* could not espouse these policies if HE did not approve it.
Now. I don't give a rat's ass about his AIDS Day address. It's about more direct, far-reaching policies.
Here's a point from the GLAAD article you conveniently overlooked: (and this single one alone diminishes any defense of what you say on the matter)
Quote:
•05.13.19 - President Trump declares his opposition to the Equality Act, a direct flip flop from his previous stance on the issue more than a decade ago.

In the remote event you've forgotten what the Equality Act IS:
Quote:
The Equality Act extends protections for LGBTQ people by amending the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Congressional Accountability Act of 1995, the Civil Service Act of 1978, the Fair Housing Act, the Equal Credit Opportunity Act and title 28 chapter 121 (juries) to include sex, sexual orientation and gender identity as protected categories from discrimination or segregation for purposes of:
•Public accommodations
•Public facilities
•Public funding
•Federal funding
•Private and public employment
•Access to housing
•Access to loans and credits
•Jury selection

The bill also authorizes the Department of Justice to bring civil action when it receives claims of discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity, and allows the Department to step in during equal protection actions in federal court.

tfan wrote:
Trump ultimately answered that he would strongly consider appointing judges who would overturn gay marriage. I don't find him making any other comments about gay marriage in the 2016 campaign. I guess "campaign based on" has a flexible definition, but the basis wasn't Trump condemning gay marriage and talking about overturning it in speeches or debates.

Again, I don't give a rat's ass about what he said in his campaign speeches. He lies -- all of 'em DO, but he's the BIGGEST Liar of 'em all. My argument is predicated on what he's done to the detriment of the LGBTQ community since he's been elected.

And frankly, I don't think he REALLY hates gays, himself. But if limiting their rights gets him votes, he's all for it. Is that an indirect form of hatred?

I still say, any gay voting for Donald is like a Jew voting for Hitler.
NOT a perfect analogy, but....it's a bit akin to saying "Hitler might not have actually hated Jews, cuz he never actually KILLED any of them himself."

PostPosted: 05/24/20 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Does a black woman VP in those states help him more than a well-credentialed white or Hispanic woman whose home is in a battleground state?

How interesting that you label the potential white or Hispanic candidates as "well-credentialed" but not the potential black candidates.

MAGA World is so transparent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: