RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What's the average age of retirement in the W?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smenko

PostPosted: 04/24/05 11:36 pm    ::: What's the average age of retirement in the W? Reply Reply with quote

Sure there are some who stay in longer than others but if you look at rosters they run the gamut from rookies to 8 year veterans. When are they too long in the tooth (as my grandma used to say)?

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 04/24/05 11:56 pm    ::: Re: What's the average age of retirement in the W? Reply Reply with quote

smenko wrote:
Sure there are some who stay in longer than others but if you look at rosters they run the gamut from rookies to 8 year veterans. When are they too long in the tooth (as my grandma used to say)?

I've been trying to figure this out too. The W's player movement pages from '05 and '04 are unhelpful as they list only announced retirements, not people who decided to give up after being cut from a given team. This year's announced retirements: 27 (White), 38 (Black), 25 (SDS), and 25 (Randall), but Teresa Edwards will almost certainly retire as well (she's still 40), and certainly others will retire and not announce it.

My hypothesis is that the average age of (both effective and official-announced) retirement is quite a bit younger in the W than in the NBA, but I'm still thinking about how to get the data... anyone have ideas?

Sass

PostPosted: 04/25/05 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure pilight will have some ideas.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
pilight

PostPosted: 04/25/05 5:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The W's average is probably younger, but maybe by less than you think. There are plenty of NBA guys who suddenly face the end of their career at 24 without much fanfare.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: