RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/28/22 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That 29% is better than Cloud shot from three. If cloud isn't the PG then she's of very limited utility.

PostPosted: 04/28/22 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Their guard backups look really weak. They should bring back Wiese. She's better than most of them except SWK and SWK is way too small to play SF.

It appears to me the Mystics will be using Delle Donne and Cloud at small forward quite often until Clark is effectively able to play extensive time.

Sydney Wiese shot 29 % from 3 Point Range in 2021 for the Mystics. I could be wrong but I don't believe Thibault will pick up Sydney Wiese.

https://www.wnba.com/player/sydney-wiese/#/career

I think that was by far her worst 3 shooting year. In the past she's been pretty steady.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/28/22 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Wiese would eventually be tried as a PG since she was one the entire time she was at Oregon State. I wonder if she'd still be in the League if she weren't relegated to being a wing player. Otherwise, she sort of has no depth to her game as just a pure shooter who can't really contribute much else offensively, will never be great defensively, and is an average to below-average athlete.

If Thibault wanted to bring her back for vet min, he would've already done so – unless there's some rule preventing him from doing so until several days after the WNBA season has begun (genuinely not sure). I do think those Oregon State players have simply all flamed out at this point though, which is kinda sad but not surprising considering HC Scott Rueck seems to recruit good players well-suited for NCAA wbb but not necessarily good fits for the pros/the W.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/28/22 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been a fan of Syd the kyd throughout her WNBA journey as she played for the two teams I cheer for - Mystics and Sparks. It's not surprising to me that LA went straight into the toilet when they let Syd go and started picking up all the tiny players. I think her WNBA career was as long as it was due to her glue qualities on and off the floor.

Now, onto Cloud. She has been WORKING on her shot which she showcased in Athletes Unlimited and in yesterday's game. And she defends 1-3 excellently. Splitting her floor time between PG & wing will work until Clark can get back on the floor.

~rAf
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/28/22 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
That 29% is better than Cloud shot from three. If cloud isn't the PG then she's of very limited utility.

Last I saw Cloud is playing in the WNBA and Wiese isn't, I wonder why any of the 11 other WNBA teams haven't signed Wiese to a contract if she's so good.

wnbafan

PostPosted: 04/29/22 6:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
....Cloud. She has been WORKING on her shot which she showcased in Athletes Unlimited and in yesterday's game. And she defends 1-3 excellently. Splitting her floor time between PG & wing will work until Clark can get back on the floor.

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/29/22 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Natasha Cloud

https://twitter.com/waynec0le/status/1519813212593602566/photo/1

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/29/22 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Benzan reminds me of FLB. Maybe we can call her KLB. Hope she makes the final cut.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/29/22 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Katie Benzan reminds me of FLB.

5-6 vs 5-4 1⁄2 — too tall. Try Raina Perez. Wink

PostPosted: 04/29/22 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Katie Benzan reminds me of FLB.

5-6 vs 5-4 1⁄2 — too tall. Try Raina Perez. Wink

I dunno. Would like to see them side by side. These heights are all relative.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/29/22 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Katie Benzan reminds me of FLB. Maybe we can call her KLB. Hope she makes the final cut.

But is she as tough as FLB ? I definitely see the resemblance in their game just not sure Benzan can get in there with the big like FLB can on the drive if need be.

PostPosted: 04/29/22 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think KLB is pretty tough too, but hard to tell yet if she can be FLB tough. It looked to me like she did gain some toughness from the Maryland experience. If she spent any time in practice trying to guard Owusu, that would toughen you up in a hurry. But yeah, when you're that small you gotta be extra good to even make a team.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/29/22 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can see why someone would take a look at Benzan - her college three-point shooting numbers are absurd (which is the primary reason Mitchell lasted so long as well). Just have to find out if she can do enough else to an acceptable standard to ever see the floor.

PostPosted: 04/30/22 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics working and having fun.

https://twitter.com/WashMystics/status/1520099762913124354

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 05/02/22 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

Mike Thibault said Elena Delle Donne won’t travel to play Minnesota in the second game of the season. Just load management, basically. Will be good for the first and third games here in DC

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1521173976000700416

Alysha Clark moving well. Thibault said last week he’d like to have a decision on her availability this weekend on Wednesday.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/02/22 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She played a preseason game and already they’re doing load management. Okay….

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/02/22 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

Mike Thibault said Elena Delle Donne won’t travel to play Minnesota in the second game of the season. Just load management, basically. Will be good for the first and third games here in DC

Load management for just the second game of the season?😳

PostPosted: 05/02/22 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Especially with the league having got rid of playoff byes, it makes all kinds of sense to me. You don't need her to play 36 regular season games. You need to finish in the top-8 and have her healthy in August/September. Vastly more important.

PostPosted: 05/02/22 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

right now if we assume these 10 are in

Cloud/Machida
Atkins/SWK
EDD/Clark
MHA/Hawkins
E. Will/Austin

the 11th spot is one of Mavunga, Benzan or Harper

my question should Wash sign K. Charles or Jaz Jones?
or is there a future waiver wire options coming up?
if not which of those three gets the last spot?

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/02/22 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With both EDD and probably Clark under 'load management', it sure looks like they need a guard with size. I think Jaz would be too wild for Mike T. K. Charles is more likely and maybe they were hoping Onyenwere or Willoughby would become available. As I said previously, re-signing Wiese would also make sense.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/02/22 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Now, onto Cloud. She has been WORKING on her shot which she showcased in Athletes Unlimited and in yesterday's game. And she defends 1-3 excellently. Splitting her floor time between PG & wing will work until Clark can get back on the floor.

At 5'9" I just don't see her playing much time against the 6' or 6'1" SF's that most teams are utilizing.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/02/22 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
With both EDD and probably Clark under 'load management', it sure looks like they need a guard with size. I think Jaz would be too wild for Mike T. K. Charles is more likely and maybe they were hoping Onyenwere or Willoughby would become available. As I said previously, re-signing Wiese would also make sense.

I agree that a claim for Charles might make some sense. Although my primary target would probably be whoever isn't going to make the cut in Minnesota, assuming one of Rennia Davis or Bridget Carleton is gone.

PostPosted: 05/02/22 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
right now if we assume these 10 are in

Cloud/Machida
Atkins/SWK
EDD/Clark
MHA/Hawkins
E. Will/Austin

the 11th spot is one of Mavunga, Benzan or Harper

my question should Wash sign K. Charles or Jaz Jones?
or is there a future waiver wire options coming up?
if not which of those three gets the last spot?

EDD/Clark
That’s over $400,000 worth of players encased in bubble wrap that you have playing the same position.

Here’s my take:
Cloud/Machida
Atkins/SWK
Clark/Hawkins
EDD/MHA
Austin/EWill

Since EWill is coming in late, it’ll probably be Austin’s job to lose when she does come back.

Clark’s been practicing so she’s physically cleared to play. It’s that mental hurdle she might be struggling with that keeps her from playing hard.

I think WAS is a good candidate for a trade (for future consideration) or waiver/FA pickup.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/02/22 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Clark’s been practicing so she’s physically cleared to play. It’s that mental hurdle she might be struggling with that keeps her from playing hard.

On April 23 she tweeted that was the first day back playing in over 400 days. I don't know how fast she can get up to 100% but it's clearly longer than 1 week.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 05/02/22 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not easy predicting what Mike Thibault might do with the 11th spot on the roster but because of the early season playing time situation with EDD and Elizabeth Williams arriving late it could mean Mavunga is needed for the frontcourt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: