RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2022
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/20/21 6:01 pm    ::: Washington Mystics 2022 Reply Reply with quote

Will EDD be back?

Has T-Bone lost his touch?

What other Mystical questions are there?

PostPosted: 09/20/21 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will Messeman and Charles be back?

Will SWK get a fair shake and be asked back to training camp next year?

Where in the lottery will the Mystics' ball fall?

Will I finally get to use my season tickets that I originally purchased for the 2019 season?

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 09/20/21 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I surprises me that Mystic Fans are not demanding the head of
"Thibault the younger"

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/20/21 7:00 pm    ::: Re: Washington Mystics 2022 Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

For different reasons, can either Meesseman or Charles be cored?

jmvcity

PostPosted: 09/20/21 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will Charles ask to be traded to Vegas?

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 09/20/21 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Will Charles ask to be traded to Vegas?

Asking to be traded for the third time in her career?
I dont see it but ...
I am so over Tina

pilight

PostPosted: 09/20/21 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina Charles may be even more of an empty stat accumulator than Dupree. In the playoffs fewer than half the seasons of her career. The closest she's ever been to the finals was getting smoked by the Douglas-less Fever in 2012. She puts up numbers, but her teams never go anywhere.

PostPosted: 09/20/21 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What are the odds EDD retires? She's an all time great but I feel like she's always had one foot out the door and these injuries are piling up. She got her championship, she got her MVPs. The league would hate to lose her but I can't see her continuing on much longer if she can't stay on the court.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/20/21 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Tina Charles may be even more of an empty stat accumulator than Dupree. In the playoffs fewer than half the seasons of her career. The closest she's ever been to the finals was getting smoked by the Douglas-less Fever in 2012. She puts up numbers, but her teams never go anywhere.

Charles can work her magic and produce all the empty stats she wants for Chicago.💙

PostPosted: 09/20/21 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IDK if that is a fair portrayal of Charles

How many years has she been a number 1 option and there was a big drop off to #2. Her years in NY Nurse, Rodgers or Prince (missing a bunch of games for Russia) was the #2 option.

This year she was supposed to be in a starting line up Cloud, Atkins, Clark, EDD and her with MHA and Meesseman at some point off the bench that team would of been a contender. Instead No Meeseman, Clark or EDD so Charles ends up putting up great numbers but without enough support. I am sure at this point in her career Charles would prefer to take less shots and have more team success. And while not great Charles percentages aren't terrible. OK in theory Charles, Atkins, Cloud and MHA is probably enough to get to the playoffs but why does Charles get the blame over other players who have been with the team longer

undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/20/21 11:32 pm    ::: Re: Washington Mystics 2022 Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Wondering if any of the hardship players be invited to training camp next season.

PostPosted: 09/20/21 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With that said Washington can't afford to bring back Charles, Meesseman and MHA. (probably can only afford one even with some fancy moves unless EDD retires or Washington trades Cloud or Mitchell.

As pointed out Washington can not core Charles she has reached her core limit and probably can't core Meesseman either because she was never under contract so they might as well core MHA I am sure whether they keep her or trade her I am sure there will be suited for Hines-Allen even at the max.

Now if EDD retires that frees up money for another max deal either Charles or Meesseman but I don't see why EDD would do that unless she really is done with basketball, her money is guaranteed and even at 75% she is still one of the best in the world. But if EDD does retire you can probably keep Meeseman and Charles or MHA and one of Meesseman and Charles if you can keep everyone away from super max,

I could see Washington trying to do a sign and trade with Meesseman or Charles but I am not sure that would be allowed for Meesseman if she is completely out for the previous year not sure how that works.

I could also see Mike T trading the #3 pick (assuming things go with the lottery order. Depending on who is back a more win now player would make sense. Washington also drafts strangely if Washington ends up 3 or 4 could definitely see a pick like Burrell, Joens or Cunane over the more traditionally thought of lottery picks of Howard, Austin, Smith or Hillmon.

So overall I have no idea how it plays how. If they wanted to come back who would Mike T be more loyal to Meesseman or Charles? Would either be willing to play for less money?

OK so core MHA trade her to Dallas for Alarie and the #7 pick Dallas needs better posts now to become competitive Alarie and the draft pick is cheap enough that if you can get get Meesseman or Charles to take regular max you can afford one of them if you finish up with Gustafson on the cheapest possible contract (you can also waive Weise and get someone cheaper if you need a little more wiggle room) and go with 11

Cloud/Mitchell
Atkins/Weise
Clark/pick #3 Joens or Burrell
EDD/Alarie/Gustafson
Charles or Meesseman/pick #7 Carter or Cunane

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/21/21 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So let's do some math here, courtesy of HerHoopStats' Mystics Salary Schedule...

Mystics guaranteed contracts in 2022:
EDD: $227.9k
Cloud: $185k
Clark: $183k
Atkins: $170k

Total guaranteed $ so far: $765.9k to 4 players

Each team's salary cap in 2022: $1.3792 million

So, 4 players already make up 55% of the Mystics' cap space. And I'd be very surprised if one of those contracts isn't on the Mystics' books in 2022 (unless it's EDD due to an early retirement, but even then).

Mystics' cap room: $613.3k for at least 7 more players

For 7 more players, they'd only get paid an average of about $87.5k per remaining player.

Now let's say one of the Charles/Hines-Allen/Meesseman free agent trio re-signs for standard max, aka the most another team would be able to pay them, which for 2022 is $196,267.

That would leave about $417k left for 6 more players, or an average of $69.5k per remaining player. Here, filling out the rest of the roster is completely doable with a mix of young-player contracts (which will range from 60k to 72k in 2022) and vet-min contracts (72k). So, no harm no foul.

But signing a second player out of the Charles/Hines-Allen/Meesseman free agent trio gets real tricky unless both the first & second players out of that trio agree to big team-friendly discounts – a maximum of about $155k per each star player with the remaining 5 roster spots in this scenario filled by the non-vet absolute minimum salary of about $60k each (which we can probably guess with ease won't happen if the Mystics simply keep their ~$70k-value lottery pick).

TL;DR: The Mystics will be able to sign one of Charles, Hines-Allen, and Meesseman somewhat comfortably, but almost certainly not two of them unless those two were to agree to steep discounts in roughly the $140k-150k range.

So who between Charles, Hines-Allen, and Meesseman should the Mystics prioritize re-signing?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/21/21 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The easiest one to resign is Hines-Allen she is a RFA and I believe she can only get regular max anyway because of her years in the league.

They can also save about 20k if they waive Weise and replace her with a minimum contract don't know if that gets them too much closer to being able to sign two of Hines-Allen, Charles or Meeseman.

The only other option would be try to trade Cloud or Mitchell or hope Mitchell retires (maybe there is an assistant gig for Mitchell on the squad).

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/21/21 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mitchell is a UFA. In pretty much all scenarios that we've discussed, she is already assumed to be gone.

PostPosted: 09/21/21 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Mitchell is a UFA. In pretty much all scenarios that we've discussed, she is already assumed to be gone.

opps my bad miss read the salary sheet

that is even worse then they still have all the same problems and no back up pg

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/21/21 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also no need to core Hines-Allen, given that she's restricted anyway. Last thing they want to be doing is paying her the supermax when they don't have to.

PostPosted: 09/21/21 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
This year she was supposed to be in a starting line up Cloud, Atkins, Clark, EDD and her with MHA and Meesseman at some point off the bench that team would of been a contender

You would think Charles plus Atkins, Cloud and Hines-Allen would be enough to finish ahead of a team whose best player is Betnijah Laney, perhaps even ahead of one led by 38% sharpshooter Arike Ogunbowale.

PostPosted: 09/21/21 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
With that said Washington can't afford to bring back Charles, Meesseman and MHA. (probably can only afford one even with some fancy moves unless EDD retires or Washington trades Cloud or Mitchell.

As pointed out Washington can not core Charles she has reached her core limit and probably can't core Meesseman either because she was never under contract so they might as well core MHA I am sure whether they keep her or trade her I am sure there will be suited for Hines-Allen even at the max.

Now if EDD retires that frees up money for another max deal either Charles or Meesseman but I don't see why EDD would do that unless she really is done with basketball, her money is guaranteed and even at 75% she is still one of the best in the world. But if EDD does retire you can probably keep Meeseman and Charles or MHA and one of Meesseman and Charles if you can keep everyone away from super max,

I could see Washington trying to do a sign and trade with Meesseman or Charles but I am not sure that would be allowed for Meesseman if she is completely out for the previous year not sure how that works.

I could also see Mike T trading the #3 pick (assuming things go with the lottery order. Depending on who is back a more win now player would make sense. Washington also drafts strangely if Washington ends up 3 or 4 could definitely see a pick like Burrell, Joens or Cunane over the more traditionally thought of lottery picks of Howard, Austin, Smith or Hillmon.

So overall I have no idea how it plays how. If they wanted to come back who would Mike T be more loyal to Meesseman or Charles? Would either be willing to play for less money?

OK so core MHA trade her to Dallas for Alarie and the #7 pick Dallas needs better posts now to become competitive Alarie and the draft pick is cheap enough that if you can get get Meesseman or Charles to take regular max you can afford one of them if you finish up with Gustafson on the cheapest possible contract (you can also waive Weise and get someone cheaper if you need a little more wiggle room) and go with 11

Cloud/Mitchell
Atkins/Weise
Clark/pick #3 Joens or Burrell
EDD/Alarie/Gustafson
Charles or Meesseman/pick #7 Carter or Cunane

No ......MHA for #7 & Thornton or Ty Harris Hmmmm?

PostPosted: 09/21/21 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EDD will be back next season, she isn't ready to go out like this. I would imagine she'd lose more than just her Mystics salary if she walks away from the WNBA.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/21/21 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
This year she was supposed to be in a starting line up Cloud, Atkins, Clark, EDD and her with MHA and Meesseman at some point off the bench that team would of been a contender

You would think Charles plus Atkins, Cloud and Hines-Allen would be enough to finish ahead of a team whose best player is Betnijah Laney, perhaps even ahead of one led by 38% sharpshooter Arike Ogunbowale.

How many games did Cloud and Hines-Allen miss? But i get your point Wink
I like MHA but paying her max is suicide for the Mystics. She could get max on some younger teams (Fever, Dallas etc.) but not a team who has 4 more important and better players EDD, Meesseman, Charles and Atkins who all want to get paid or are getting paid.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/21/21 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The question is, does Meesseman actually still want to bother with the WNBA? If she doesn't, then you might be able to work out a way to keep Charles and MHA.

There's also, scarily, the chance that Delle Donne retires, which could change their cap situation.

PostPosted: 09/21/21 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
There's also, scarily, the chance that Delle Donne retires, which could change their cap situation.

Scarily? It’s been ‘scary’ for Styx fans having to put up with EDD’s ‘will she or won’t she play?’ status for virtually the past two seasons (but having her contract be as present/prevalent as it ever was). At least if she retires, they’d be able to reinvent this roster just a little bit. They may not become a #1 team out of it, but I don’t think they’d be as bad as they have been the past two seasons, at least.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/21/21 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington is in a tough spot

so returning to my original idea that I confused with too many mistakes

the only trade value the Mystics have is Hines-Allen she is a RFA and I think teams like Dallas, NY and Atl could really use her if they want to take a big step forward

the caveat is Washington can only take back rookie contracts or draft picks to make it work cap-wise

Then you have to figure out what is up with EDD health-wise. I do not believe EDD will retire, she has a guaranteed contract and should be able to get back on the court with another off season to heal.

That basically leaves you with re-signing Charles or Meesseman ideally at regular max

and filling out the rest of the roster with the return from the Hines-Allen trade, Washington's lottery pick and near minimum contracts.

Cloud, Atkins, Clark, EDD, Charles or Meeseman
that starting line up if healthy can win a championship
but the bench would be
lottery pick, return from Hines-Allen trade (hopefully two pieces) and 3 minimum to rookie contracts (maybe you can squish a vet minimum if you are lucky)

Is there anything like Worlds or Euro cup that would force Meesseman to show up late in the season again? (Or say French players, asking for a friend).

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/21/21 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Scarily? It’s been ‘scary’ for Styx fans having to put up with EDD’s ‘will she or won’t she play?’ status for virtually the past two seasons (but having her contract be as present/prevalent as it ever was). At least if she retires, they’d be able to reinvent this roster just a little bit. They may not become a #1 team out of it, but I don’t think they’d be as bad as they have been the past two seasons, at least.

It's still scary because superstars make contenders. Their quickest path to genuine contention is for Delle Donne to be back and playing. We saw this season what a team with Charles dominating the ball and Atkins having the best season of her career got them - a lottery pick. Much as I love Alysha Clark, is her coming back and praying for some better general health pushing this team into contention without EDD? Doubt it.

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: