RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Indiana Fever 2022
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 09/13/21 3:36 pm    ::: Indiana Fever 2022 Reply Reply with quote

1. Draft Howard with #1 or Nal Smith with #2.
2. Keep the pick. Don’t be suckered into trading it for a player a team can’t afford to keep. Consider trading the pick from MIN (likely #9 or #10).
3. Dump the head coach if you’re keeping McCowan.
4. Decide whether or not you’re going to build around McCowan. If so, hire a great post coach and start treating like a starter. If not, trade her if you can get good value.

DRob/Gondrezick
KMitch/Wilson
(#1 Howard)/TMitch
Lavender
McCowan

Guaranteed

RFA
LAllen

Reserved
Vivians
Hatar
Perry
Cannon?
Fagbenle

UFA
Breland

Deferred
Florencia Chagas - 5’11 guard Argentina

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/15/21 8:58 am    ::: Re: Indiana Fever 2022 Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
2. Keep the pick. Don’t be suckered into trading it for a player a team can’t afford to keep. Consider trading the pick from MIN (likely #9 or #10).

That is part of the issue, is it not?

Indiana took Lauren Cox at #3, then dumped her notwithstanding injuries and COVID in 2020 and part of 2021. She never had a chance to prove herself on the court, much less be paired with McCowan for significant minutes (to see how the young post players could gel together).

Consider Indiana's record over the last number of seasons:

2021: 6-24 (to date)
2020: 6-16
2019: 13-21
2018: 6-28
2017: 9-25

If the team is terrible, play the younger players, instead of acquiring / signing replacement player veterans (Lavender and Robinson) and paying them over 25 percent of the salary cap.

But I digress ...

And in 2021, Indiana massively overreached by taking Kysre Gondrezick at #4, a player the team could have easily taken in the second round (e.g., packing #19 and #24 to move up if the franchise had concerns she would be taken early in the second round).

To be fair, Indiana has had a bit of bad luck with the draft lottery. The franchise has never had the top pick.

But Indiana - specifically, Tamika Catchings - needs to do a much better job of talent evaluation and roster management.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/15/21 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Fever opt to re-sign Victoria Vivians (who's a Reserved player next year), that could be a sign that they won't draft a SF in the lottery, seeing as they won't stop using Tiffany Mitchell as a wildly undersized SF. Confused

Afaic, either Rhyne Howard (SF) or NaLyssa Smith (PF) would be welcome additions. If the Fever front office gets it down to those two in the War Room, that's a huge W for the Fever fans/franchise – though that's a BIG "if."

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/15/21 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
If the Fever opt to re-sign Victoria Vivians (who's a Reserved player next year), that could be a sign that they won't draft a SF in the lottery, seeing as they won't stop using Tiffany Mitchell as a wildly undersized SF. Confused

Afaic, either Rhyne Howard (SF) or NaLyssa Smith (PF) would be welcome additions. If the Fever front office gets it down to those two in the War Room, that's a huge W for the Fever fans/franchise – though that's a BIG "if."

I think Vivians and Mitchell are both question marks. Mitchell has been more productive, even playing "out of position." Vivians as dealt with injury, so she might have more potential.

I think both are nice role players off the bench, but teams as bad as Indiana don't improve by shifting around nice role players off the bench.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/15/21 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you probably bring back both TMitchell and Vivians, but you don't give either any more than you have to. Mitchell's already overpaid, so bring her back on that deal, no extension, and try to get a 'contract year' performance out of her. Make Vivians prove she can actually stay healthy next year (I'd just say "sign the qualifying offer", but if they must offer her something else, nothing high-end and nothing guaranteed).

They've already got two shitty contracts that no one else would want to go anywhere near.

PostPosted: 09/15/21 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I think you probably bring back both TMitchell and Vivians, but you don't give either any more than you have to. Mitchell's already overpaid, so bring her back on that deal, no extension, and try to get a 'contract year' performance out of her. Make Vivians prove she can actually stay healthy next year (I'd just say "sign the qualifying offer", but if they must offer her something else, nothing high-end and nothing guaranteed).

They've already got two shitty contracts that no one else would want to go anywhere near.

I could see ATL making vivians a qualifying low ball offer . They need shooters and Vivians is "Known presumably" as one .

PostPosted: 09/15/21 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reserved means Indiana have exclusive rights, unless they willingly give them up. Other teams aren't allowed to make her offers.

PostPosted: 09/15/21 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nalyssa Smith would be a curious fit next to McCowan.

Indiana is shooting 28.4 percent from three as a team, last in the league (the Fever are also last in made threes).

Smith does not have any consistent range from beyond the arc - she has made a total of four in three seasons. The good news is that she increased her free throw percentage to .792 as a junior, suggesting the potential for the development of an outside shot.

But Indiana already has a frustrating lack of spacing, with no consistent threats (other than Kelsey Mitchell) from beyond the arc.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/15/21 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Lauren Cox had a 3PT shot, but they got rid of her.

Breland & Lavender had been taking turns a little starting alongside McCowan, even though neither one has much of a 3PT shot (just a midrange one). They were both signed under the current regime. It would then seem that 3PT shooting from the 4 and 5 positions isn’t actually a dealbreaker for Marianne Stanley, despite her original claim when she got hired on of wanting 3PT shooting from all five positions (in which McCowan herself wouldn’t be a fit under that system either).

So what other PF would be worth taking in the lottery? Or in the #9-/10-Pick range, since Indiana has Minnesota’s 1RP?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/15/21 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Lauren Cox had a 3PT shot, but they got rid of her.

Breland & Lavender had been taking turns a little starting alongside McCowan, even though neither one has much of a 3PT shot (just a midrange one). They were both signed under the current regime. It would then seem that 3PT shooting from the 4 and 5 positions isn’t actually a dealbreaker for Marianne Stanley, despite her original claim when she got hired on of wanting 3PT shooting from all five positions (in which McCowan herself wouldn’t be a fit under that system either).

So what other PF would be worth taking in the lottery? Or in the #9-/10-Pick range, since Indiana has Minnesota’s 1RP?

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Lauren cox had and still has a shot put shot. She hit some her senior year but when she gets fatigued it’s a shot put! In the W she hasn’t taken many shots to remind the world , but I like her in LA with Z and Nneka next season .

PostPosted: 09/15/21 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ All I know is, even Mulkey who was fairly anti-3s in general let Cox take 3s when Cox played more PF alongside Kalani Brown. Cox wasn’t great at it (15/49 in 38 games for her junior year) but she still had some semblance of the shot in her toolbox.

NaLyssa Smith last season was 3/14 on the season from 3. Not much by any means, but maybe she develops it a little bit more in the upcoming season – especially if Collen stresses outside shooting a little more than Mulkey did.

Again though, who even knows if Marianne Stanley cares about that concept at this point.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/15/21 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dare I say, Cunane has the best outside shot of all the posts in this draft Wink

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/16/21 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've got another question!

Richyyy, I saw your "best case scenario hypothetical for Indiana" tweet involving the Fever drafting Rhyne Howard and signing Emma Meesseman (which really is the only possible way things may actually get better in Indiana), so then I wondered: Since Meesseman will have been a free agent for an entire year, is Washington – or any team – able to sign her for a supermax amount? Or can she only sign for a standard max amount? I'm guessing Washington, having been the last team she played for, can still sign her to a supermax deal but no one else can?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/16/21 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I've got another question!

Richyyy, I saw your "best case scenario hypothetical for Indiana" tweet involving the Fever drafting Rhyne Howard and signing Emma Meesseman (which really is the only possible way things may actually get better in Indiana), so then I wondered: Since Meesseman will have been a free agent for an entire year, is Washington – or any team – able to sign her for a supermax amount? Or can she only sign for a standard max amount? I'm guessing Washington, having been the last team she played for, can still sign her to a supermax deal but no one else can?

It would definitely only be with Washington (same as it would only have been with Washington before this season). But I'm not sure she can get the supermax even from them anymore. The actual wording in the CBA would lean me towards no, and that her max is the standard lower max, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's how the League would actually feel Wink.

PostPosted: 09/19/21 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seeing as I live in Indiana, I will officially declare myself a Fever* fan for the 2022 season. After all, there's only one way to go ... and it's not down. Laughing #1 pick isn't a guarantee but I think a core of Rhyne Howard, Teaira McCowan, and Kelsey Mitchell could win a few more games than 6!

(and whichever team might happen to let Gustafson sit on the end of the bench)

bryan_february_

PostPosted: 09/19/21 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope we keep Vivians. I think she is improving with the extended minutes she's been playing. She definitely needs to work on her outside shot though. Maybe not take so many deep threes.

PostPosted: 09/21/21 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D6AJ5fidiAg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Catch I don't know what to say. But, good luck!!

PostPosted: 09/21/21 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So it just looks like Stanley is onboard for another season. But I only watched 30 seconds or so.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/21/21 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D6AJ5fidiAg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Catch I don't know what to say. But, good luck!!

Sounds like a bunch excuses from Stanley and a bold prediction from catch. The face she made when she said re-evaluate our coaching staff and Stanley raising her eyebrows stood out to me .

PostPosted: 09/21/21 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanley should have been fired yesterday.

dreamfan11

PostPosted: 09/21/21 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, everyone - you are the GM now - who do you keep, trade, go after in free agency? Can this team rebound and get itself into the playoffs next year with current coaching staff? Or make changes with them as well - and if so, who do you want to coach the team?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/21/21 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding video:
1. Catchings guaranteed they would be better next year.
2. Stanley cited that they started off with a tough schedule and had injury issues. (I kinda wonder if they left themselves short-handed down the stretch as an excuse.)
3. Catching’s focus on 3 and 4 players. Sounds like bad news for Breland.
4. Catchings wants an up and down style of play.
5. Catchings says KMitchell & McCowan are keepers. “Nobody can stop McCowan” if she makes her mind not to be stopped. Catchings doesn’t explain how McCowan fits in with an up and down style of play, and the reporters weren’t sharp enough to ask.
6. Mentioned Allemand “coming back” and mentioned Chagas (deferral).
7. Favorable mentions of LAllen, Vivians, Perry, and Cannon.
8. No mentions of Lavender, Breland, Gondrezick, Wilson, TMitchell, DRob, or Hatar, but three of them have guaranteed contracts next year.
9. Catchings acknowledged that it’s a good draft coming up and they’re excited about their two first round picks.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 09/21/21 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Fever don't really play an "up and down style". They've been in the bottom half of the league in pace in both of Stanley's seasons.

PostPosted: 09/21/21 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I liked the shout out to VViv and Perry. It sounds like they will be part of their future. No mention of Hatar. Anybody know what happened to her? I thought she had potential. I'm assuming they let Breland walk. It would be good if they let Wilson walk as well. No idea what happens with Kysre. I would have to know what those 'personal' reasons were to have any idea if I wanted to keep her on my team.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/21/21 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The love for Allen really threw me. She’s feasible as a PG because she does not turn it over , but what else can she do? D-Rob at least evolved her game to become a penetrator and a great ball handler in the pros aka All star!!

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: