RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lauren Jackson's legacy...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/08/21 9:44 am    ::: Lauren Jackson's legacy... Reply Reply with quote

...and the 10 greatest Australian players in WNBA history

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/32168994/lauren-jackson-legacy-10-greatest-australian-players-wnba-history

Quote:
Honorable mention: Kristi Harrower, Steph Talbot, Sami Whitcomb, Belinda Snell, Alanna Smith, Ezi Magbegor

PostPosted: 09/08/21 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for posting, pilight. Just wanna say that LJ's turnaround jumper off a post-up will live rent-free in my mind forever. Smile

Here's a short 2-minute tribute produced by the Storm: https://twitter.com/seattlestorm/status/1434977312777261057

I sure wish Anne Donovan were still around for moments like these. And why does Brian Agler look like he's damn near being held at gunpoint in his clip? He just can't shake his natural dryness & get a little enthusiastic even for something like this? Rolling Eyes Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/08/21 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LJ had a most magical game. Beautiful to watch. Sorry her career ended way too soon.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 09/08/21 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She started playing professional basketball when she was 15, which ultimately shortened her career.

LJ was one of the few players who was elite on both ends on the floor. She probably would have averaged about 10 more free throws per game if she could draw the same kinds of fouls that went against her.

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 09/08/21 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best I ever saw.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/08/21 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The most likely Aussie right now to carry the torch passed down from LJ seems to be Ezi Magbegor. I still have no idea how good she'll be when it's all said & done, but watching her journey unfold is exciting enough in the moment. She's still so young... and she already has a title. I hope we see her in the League every year, even if she someday ends up leaving the Storm & going to a different team (just not LA or Phoenix, which are also historically Aussie-friendly franchises 🤮).

No matter how any of us feel about Liz Cambage as a person, it's a damn shame for this League that she spent so many years away from it. If she had went to a different franchise than Tulsa – such as the one she was hopelessly eyeing for a long time: LA – who knows. She's a difference-maker, period. And Lord knows she has certainly been through her own journey.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 09/09/21 5:46 am    ::: Re: Lauren Jackson's legacy... Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/32168994/lauren-jackson-legacy-10-greatest-australian-players-wnba-history

Quote:
Honorable mention: Kristi Harrower, Steph Talbot, Sami Whitcomb, Belinda Snell, Alanna Smith, Ezi Magbegor

I heard game announcers say Sami is an Aussie. I know her wife is, but did Sami give up her U.S. citizenship? Color me confused.

PostPosted: 09/09/21 7:14 am    ::: Re: Lauren Jackson's legacy... Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

I heard game announcers say Sami is an Aussie. I know her wife is, but did Sami give up her U.S. citizenship? Color me confused.

She has dual citizenship since 2018

PostPosted: 09/09/21 8:50 am    ::: Re: Lauren Jackson's legacy... Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Has also played for the Australian national team, so in FIBA terms at least she's Australian.

PostPosted: 09/09/21 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man I so wish I was a fan of the W when LJ was still playing.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/09/21 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ice wrote:

She Dominated , not even Lisa Leslie could stop her. In fact this was the only player i felt that had Lisa Leslies Number during Lisa's Prime. LoJack !!!!

PostPosted: 09/09/21 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Ice wrote:

She Dominated , not even Lisa Leslie could stop her. In fact this was the only player i felt that had Lisa Leslies Number during Lisa's Prime. LoJack !!!!

For my money, she is the best player I have ever seen.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 09/09/21 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Ice wrote:

There was a similar conversation on the LLL vs. LoJack debate, back in 2016...

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1362870

PostPosted: 09/09/21 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Ice wrote:

Damn, I miss Genero. It's too bad a certain moderator chased them away forever last year (and for some real stupid-ass shit, too). Mad Also, over 65 votes on the poll? This was only 5 years ago – where has everyone gone? Sad

craigmont

PostPosted: 09/09/21 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel so lucky I got to watch her play in person in my town.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/09/21 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Ice wrote:

Oh damn I see my old thoughts and posts Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 09/10/21 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ice wrote:

She was so fun to watch, glad We got too see her grow up in the league. Truly one of the best.

PostPosted: 09/10/21 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Ice wrote:

Damn, I miss Genero. It's too bad a certain moderator chased them away forever last year (and for some real stupid-ass shit, too). Mad Also, over 65 votes on the poll? This was only 5 years ago – where has everyone gone? Sad

I miss Genero too

scullyfu

PostPosted: 09/11/21 8:56 am    ::: Re: Lauren Jackson's legacy... Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Has also played for the Australian national team, so in FIBA terms at least she's Australian.

Thanks to you both.

PostPosted: 09/11/21 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We were so lucky to have her here.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/basketball-unicorn-and-storm-legend-lauren-jackson-on-entering-hall-of-fame-i-just-feel-so-incredibly-lucky/?fbclid=IwAR0t938Ixv8bnt0VJIq48_PANKMmDeoWn3dJDyCtSokzOT7e40tQP9-FdL8

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/15/21 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I miss Genero too

Genero always had great insight about the league (also had terrific analysis of the Comets back in the day).

More importantly, he posted important topics in Area 51 about politics, diversity/equity/inclusion, and highlighting Black artists, artisans, scientists, etc. about whom we may not have learned in our respective US history courses.

Genero was truly an amazing asset to Rebkell - and Genero's absence is definitely missed.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 09/15/21 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just got Lauren's autograph card in the new 2021 set.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: