RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

USA vs Japan - 7/30/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SCook



Joined: 09 Oct 2013
Posts: 3198
Location: New Jersey


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Linzin wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Linzin wrote:
I find it a little bizarre how few minutes Diggins and Atkins are getting. Seems like Japan would be a good game to try out a smaller quicker lineup, no?


The question is: do you try to fight fire with more fire.. or do you counter with water?


Eh... but the switch was to put in Loyd, pushing DT to the 3 and Stewart to the 4. So it's not like they decided to stick with the big line-up, she's just favoring Jewell heavily over the other backup guards. Which is fine, Staley's choice, but you'd think with their advantage being depth they'd use their backup guards a bit more.

That said, as a Storm fan, I'm not opposed to having Bird, Loyd, and Stewart in! Wink

ETA: Ah, so injuries playing a part.


After watching the start of the 3rd, you've totally convinced me. Yikes this is bad.


Jewell is not producing. Dawn is really pushing it.



_________________
In La'Kech: I Am You. You Are Me. We Are Us
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 1381
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
SCook wrote:
Aja and Stewie with a ton of minutes and I must side eye.


We were arguing about the 12 that got to go and we won’t even play more than 8 women.


Very well said.


SCook



Joined: 09 Oct 2013
Posts: 3198
Location: New Jersey


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
SCook wrote:
Aja and Stewie with a ton of minutes and I must side eye.


We were arguing about the 12 that got to go and we won’t even play more than 8 women.


Exactly! We were bamboozled!



_________________
In La'Kech: I Am You. You Are Me. We Are Us
SCook



Joined: 09 Oct 2013
Posts: 3198
Location: New Jersey


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn out BG and Aja back in. What is this?



_________________
In La'Kech: I Am You. You Are Me. We Are Us
Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 1278
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 12:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue Bird......she's clearly heads and shoulders above all other guards on this team in terms of floor generalship, leadership, ball handling and distribution, but she cannot buy a bucket in this Olympics. And when Dawn puts in Tina Charles WITH Bird, we're playing 3 versus 5 on the court offensively, which is surprising with Charles at least, as she never seemed to have any problems with her offense in seasons past.

Wilson, Stewart, and Griner have been pretty unstoppable. Need to keep them rotating in at all times, and hopefully keep at least 2 of the 3 on the floor at all times.....


mercfan



Joined: 08 May 2013
Posts: 1658



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has Bird made a basket yet?


Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 1278
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn running the reserves with Bird for the 4th Qtr. against Japan's starters, and they are holding their own thus far.....

Maintaining a 9-10 point cushion......


SCook



Joined: 09 Oct 2013
Posts: 3198
Location: New Jersey


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. This lineup that was on the floor is not a good look. What is going on?



_________________
In La'Kech: I Am You. You Are Me. We Are Us


Last edited by SCook on 07/30/21 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 1381
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can tell a lot of these guards haven't given serious thought to how to break a press since their college days...


Linzin



Joined: 19 May 2007
Posts: 3046



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Has Bird made a basket yet?


She has not. 0 for I don't know how many in two games.



_________________
"This is serious. You gotta look at me like, you know, Nancy Lieberman."
-Sue Bird
Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 1278
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Linzin wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Linzin wrote:
I find it a little bizarre how few minutes Diggins and Atkins are getting. Seems like Japan would be a good game to try out a smaller quicker lineup, no?


The question is: do you try to fight fire with more fire.. or do you counter with water?


Eh... but the switch was to put in Loyd, pushing DT to the 3 and Stewart to the 4. So it's not like they decided to stick with the big line-up, she's just favoring Jewell heavily over the other backup guards. Which is fine, Staley's choice, but you'd think with their advantage being depth they'd use their backup guards a bit more.

That said, as a Storm fan, I'm not opposed to having Bird, Loyd, and Stewart in! Wink

ETA: Ah, so injuries playing a part.


After watching the start of the 3rd, you've totally convinced me. Yikes this is bad.


Jewell is not producing. Dawn is really pushing it.


Lloyd with 12 pts on 5-6 shooting, and 3 rebounds....

Now Wilson, Taurasi, and Stewart come back in with about 5 minutes to go and a 10-pt lead. The nails in the coffin for Japan......


SCook



Joined: 09 Oct 2013
Posts: 3198
Location: New Jersey


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aja, Stewie and DT back in but no BG.

Dawn I see you and I'm done with you already.



_________________
In La'Kech: I Am You. You Are Me. We Are Us
Linzin



Joined: 19 May 2007
Posts: 3046



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Bird finally hits one. The look on her face lol.



_________________
"This is serious. You gotta look at me like, you know, Nancy Lieberman."
-Sue Bird
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 1381
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Linzin wrote:
And Bird finally hits one. The look on her face lol.


You mean this look?



SCook



Joined: 09 Oct 2013
Posts: 3198
Location: New Jersey


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now she puts in Atkins!!!

Dawn is a joke. I'm done.

Anyways, every team should be pressing Team USA.



_________________
In La'Kech: I Am You. You Are Me. We Are Us
Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 1278
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA wins 86-69. A good decisive win against the host team in front of their nation....


Linzin



Joined: 19 May 2007
Posts: 3046



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly, for all the pessimism here after the 1Q, the US was pretty comfortable the rest of the game. Japan wasn't going to keep hitting 3s at 60%*, nor can they keep up a hard press for 40 minutes.

* Like, they kind of did against France, but France's defense...



_________________
"This is serious. You gotta look at me like, you know, Nancy Lieberman."
-Sue Bird
hyperetic



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 5261
Location: Fayetteville


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 3:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A thought crossed my mind. It maybe off-base but theoretically plausible. Could Diggins-Smith minutes (seconds) be so limited because of her lack of international play experience? Then again, Stewie didn't have international experience last Olympics, right? OK, I give. I don't get it. And that injured in practice story seems kinda suspect.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 11215
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJa is playing well offensively , but why this team does not run its offense through Stewie or BG is beyond me. I get the politics of making your college star the Olympiad star as history says but DAMN . Aja is good and all , but shes not the best on the team IMO.



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
SCook



Joined: 09 Oct 2013
Posts: 3198
Location: New Jersey


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
AJa is playing well offensively , but why this team does not run its offense through Stewie or BG is beyond me. I get the politics of making your college star the Olympiad star as history says but DAMN . Aja is good and all , but shes not the best on the team IMO.


I've been saying the same thing. Dawn played BG 15 minutes and she's the tallest player on the court. We saw against Nigeria that she opens up the floor because of her size. But it is what it is at this point.

It's not going to change and the same players are going to be getting blown by because Dawn refuses to make the adjustment. She's going to run Sue, Aja, and Stewie into the ground and honestly, with all BG's responsibility at Phoenix, I'll settle for the 15 minutes and a gold medal.



_________________
In La'Kech: I Am You. You Are Me. We Are Us
SCook



Joined: 09 Oct 2013
Posts: 3198
Location: New Jersey


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone else feel like this Team feels disconnected?

The starting lineup is working because Stewie, BG and Aja are just that dominant. Diana's experience with BG comes in handy because they ultimately just run the plays that are similar to Phoenix with BG screening for the 3's or rolling to the basket. But the 1st unit doesn't even seem to be enjoying themselves.

The 2nd unit is so poorly constructed and they play as if they don't know each other at all. How are Chelsea and Jewell just as horrendous on the defensive end as DT and Sue? Why are Tina and Syl struggling to mesh so badly?

Skylar, Atkins, and Collier just don't play at all and they seem to have no pulse on the bench.



_________________
In La'Kech: I Am You. You Are Me. We Are Us
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 1381
Location: midwest


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Collier's just gonna warm the bench, at least Nneka could have done that. Rolling Eyes


lynxmania



Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 9935
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Dawn can't figure out how to mesh a squad of some of the best players in the world together so that we can actually play some of our bench, then I wonder how that loaded Gamecock squad will be or rather not rotated in and out


mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 19215



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
Does anyone else feel like this Team feels disconnected?

The starting lineup is working because Stewie, BG and Aja are just that dominant. Diana's experience with BG comes in handy because they ultimately just run the plays that are similar to Phoenix with BG screening for the 3's or rolling to the basket. But the 1st unit doesn't even seem to be enjoying themselves.

The 2nd unit is so poorly constructed and they play as if they don't know each other at all. How are Chelsea and Jewell just as horrendous on the defensive end as DT and Sue? Why are Tina and Syl struggling to mesh so badly?

Skylar, Atkins, and Collier just don't play at all and they seem to have no pulse on the bench.


Most of the shooters are in the first unit. As complicated as people can make it, basketball is pretty simple when players can shoot, not as simple when they can't.

Stewart, Taurasi, and Lloyd to an extent are the shooters...the rest of the team are scorers that can have shot shooting at times. So a second unit with Syl and Tina, who occupy the same space, and Gray, Skylar (when she plays) and Lloyd is a mess. They need one of Diana or Stewie in.

I wouldn't make the mistake of thinking there is a lack of fun. I think they've just got their business face on.

I also don't have a problem with things running through A'Ja at the moment. She's playing the best, and it's not even close. Sue gets the ball to the players playing well.

Japan is a really fun team to watch.

My favorite thing about this game was that Kara was calling it. I'm happy for her that she's got a head coaching gig, but she's the best commentator in basketball and it's not close. So I was excited to hear her. Laughing



_________________
“Anyone point out that a Donald Trump anagram is ‘Lord Dampnut’”- Colin Mochrie
Silky Johnson



Joined: 29 Sep 2014
Posts: 2329



Back to top
PostPosted: 07/30/21 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
I also don't have a problem with things running through A'Ja at the moment. She's playing the best, and it's not even close. Sue gets the ball to the players playing well.


Seriously. "Is A'ja the best player on the team?" She's good enough to run the offense through, so what are we doing here?



_________________
Professional Hater. The Baron of #HateHard
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin