RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USA vs Nigeria - 7/27/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/27/21 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
I'm kinda bummed for Skylar. I thought she would get burn when it was clear that Loyd wasn't adding anything in her 19 minutes.

Loyd will bounce back but that was a mildly rough debut. Was 5th on the team in minutes. Def didn't expect that.

The United States will have to gain some chemistry quickly. Nigeria was tough but there's much better ahead.

It’s a really bad mix of guards.

Said it before, the whining about Bird and Taurasi is silly because they are still the best two guards on the team, and nothing about this game changed my opinion on that. And next Olympics, with these three and likely a few of Paige/Clark/Fudd..I can see the US getting in some serious trouble guard wise. Hopefully Arike is on the team, or maybe we’ll have some guards take over the league that will fit in..but generally that’s not Team USA’s MO.

Now, if we made the other team wear Mercury jerseys Loyd could be the best player on the team.

Enough about the guards though, A’ja carried the team. We need a lot better from Stewart and Griner.

PostPosted: 07/27/21 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA certainly weren't at their best in this game. France & Japan will be much more difficult and a true test against our guards. I'm still not convinced this team will win Gold.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/27/21 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
USA certainly weren't at their best in this game. France & Japan will be much more difficult and a true test against our guards. I'm still not convinced this team will win Gold.

No love for Chelsea (the Closer) Gray? Yes, she looked ragged in her first two times on the floor, but her play to close the game was a key to victory. Chelsea contributes in a lot more ways than assisting (and I admit her early assist attempts were off the mark).

~rAf
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/27/21 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

This is not a good defensive team, especially in the backcourt, so the offense needs to click at all times, however this has not been the case.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/27/21 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
toad455 wrote:

This is not a good defensive team, especially in the backcourt, so the offense needs to click at all times, however this has not been the case.

Lack of defense in backcourt = Bird & Taurasi. Yes, Bird is steady and supplies timely passes. And yes, Dee's offense kept us in the game early. But their lack of defense also allowed Nigeria to score early and often. And it was Chelsea Gray who helped close out the game.

~rAf
mercfan

PostPosted: 07/27/21 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Lack of defense in backcourt = Bird & Taurasi. Yes, Bird is steady and supplies timely passes. And yes, Dee's offense kept us in the game early. But their lack of defense also allowed Nigeria to score early and often. And it was Chelsea Gray who helped close out the game.

Lack of defense in the backcourt = more than Bird & Taurasi.

For what it's worth, Nigeria only scored 28 of their 72 points while Taurasi was on the court compared to 42 while Loyd or Bird were out there. Explains Taurasi's +28 while the backup guards were all in the negative.

Gray did do well in the last few minutes of the game which saved her efficiency.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: