RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Will the Big 12 survive?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 09/13/21 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Does the conference make the schools or do the schools make the conference?

Hmmm. Well, as I think of it, UConn was not definitively improved by the AAC, nor did UConn's presence seem to turn the AAC into a powerhouse. And there's Gonzaga in the WCC -- pretty much the same, no?

The schools have to invest though. That's the key.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/13/21 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
So yes, the Big 12 is [url=https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32182361/big-12-votes-accept-adding-byu-cincinnati-houston-ucf-conference]officially welcoming BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF into its conference.

I'm sorry, but that's not a major conference.

Yeah, we might as well call it the Power 4 from now on.

Well, the future B12 is 3-0 against the Pac-12 so far this year.

Yeah, honestly the Big 12 should be fine – at least with respect to competitiveness – in both football and men’s bb. The Pac-12 has been pretty ehh in football at the top for several years now, and there always seems to be a decent amount of parity in all of men’s bb. It’s women’s bb where I think they’ll see a drop-off, especially since it’ll coincide with Baylor being in their post-Mulkey era.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 09/14/21 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
So yes, the Big 12 is [url=https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32182361/big-12-votes-accept-adding-byu-cincinnati-houston-ucf-conference]officially welcoming BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF into its conference.

I'm sorry, but that's not a major conference.

Yeah, we might as well call it the Power 4 from now on.

Well, the future B12 is 3-0 against the Pac-12 so far this year.

Yeah, honestly the Big 12 should be fine – at least with respect to competitiveness – in both football and men’s bb. The Pac-12 has been pretty ehh in football at the top for several years now, and there always seems to be a decent amount of parity in all of men’s bb. It’s women’s bb where I think they’ll see a drop-off, especially since it’ll coincide with Baylor being in their post-Mulkey era.

Texas Tech's AD hinted that there could be possible expansion in the future during media negotiations. This was an interesting comment to myself because of everything that will be going on. It seems like the Big 12 will be pursuing PAC, SEC, and ACC schools when negotiations begin. Nebraska may be in play as well. But seems like realignment may not have been as stabilized as the Alliance had hoped.

That said, women's basketball in the Big 12 is going to be looked down on for awhile. It wasn't all that long ago that similar statements were being made about the PAC. They won't have a championship contender anytime soon. Collen has already constructed a roster similar to the ones in Atlanta that were abysmal under her watch. But, there seem to be several teams in the Big 12 that seems poised for an uptick in talent over the next few years(OK State, Texas Tech, WVU, Iowa State). Several programs have been weighed down by mediocre coaches, and that should change headed into the new Big 12. If quality hires are made, I suppose the conversation surrounding women's basketball will look differently.

PostPosted: 09/14/21 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Texas Tech's AD hinted that there could be possible expansion in the future during media negotiations. This was an interesting comment to myself because of everything that will be going on. It seems like the Big 12 will be pursuing PAC, SEC, and ACC schools when negotiations begin. Nebraska may be in play as well. But seems like realignment may not have been as stabilized as the Alliance had hoped.

I'm very curious as to who you think would leave the Pac-12, SEC or the ACC for this new version of the Big XII. I can't see Nebraska leaving the Big Ten on their own, especially for the Big XII where their 2 biggest rivals from their former conference are now in the SEC. Plus, who is going to walk away from all that money in the SEC? The only comparable conference in that regard is the Big Ten. I know the Pac-12 has some issues but I just don't see any of those schools leaving for the Big XII.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/14/21 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
women's basketball in the Big 12 is going to be looked down on for awhile. It wasn't all that long ago that similar statements were being made about the PAC. They won't have a championship contender anytime soon. Collen has already constructed a roster similar to the ones in Atlanta that were abysmal under her watch. But, there seem to be several teams in the Big 12 that seems poised for an uptick in talent over the next few years(OK State, Texas Tech, WVU, Iowa State). Several programs have been weighed down by mediocre coaches, and that should change headed into the new Big 12. If quality hires are made, I suppose the conversation surrounding women's basketball will look differently.

There is a chance the Big 12 in wbb could rebound unexpectedly well once their 12 teams get to settle in. BYU has a Tourney-level program already in place, and UCF has a decent defensive-minded program. Both programs might recruit better in the next couple years now that everyone knows they're moving on up. Once they do, they might be able to take care of business against the Big 12's lower-level teams (whomever they'll be by then). Baylor, West Virginia, and Iowa State certainly could stay Tourney-level programs by then – that would further legitimize the conference. Then the only question remaining would be if they can get a team into that nation-wide upper echelon if it isn't still Baylor by then.

But again, that would be if virtually everything were to go right...

okstateguy wrote:

The only schools I've heard explicitly mentioned in this potential second wave of (Big 12) expansion are Boise State and Memphis, both of whom would be very gettable targets imo. Although, any school in the Alliance at this point could still go rogue and want in on the Big 12, I guess.

On that note, I don't know if Texas A&M stays in the SEC in the long run. Seems that they weren't exactly jazzed about the new SEC additions, particularly Texas. If A&M's money-maker programs start suffering shortly after the Longhorns come ridin' into the conference... idk, would they be too far west to join the ACC? They just seem to prefer being isolated conference-wise from the other big schools in the state of Texas, which appears to be a strategy that has worked out, more or less.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 09/15/21 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nvm - can't get it to work

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 09/16/21 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is the map of the new look Big XII:

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/byu-athletic-director-says-big-12-will-have-two-divisions-what-could-they-look-like/

In looking at that map, it is clearly spread out. I also start to wonder, what on earth do those schools really have in common? I mean, what does BYU have in common with Central Florida? How about Iowa State and Houston? I would think that the big Midwestern state schools are wondering what the hell has happened?

Nonetheless, I have heard from a couple of sources that the Big XII is considering going after Boise State and San Diego State, both members of the Mountain West Conference. They both have pretty good football programs and SDSU has had a very good men's basketball program of late as well. If that were to happen,

If you look at that map above, can you imagine that conference with those 2 schools as well? I mean, you would have schools in states that border the Pacific Ocean, the Atlantic Ocean, Canada and Mexico. That just doesn't strike me as a league that is very sustainable. As it is, I'm not sure this conglomeration of schools is going to be able to make it anyway.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/16/21 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/byu-athletic-director-says-big-12-will-have-two-divisions-what-could-they-look-like/

In looking at that map, it is clearly spread out. I also start to wonder, what on earth do those schools really have in common? I mean, what does BYU have in common with Central Florida? How about Iowa State and Houston? I would think that the big Midwestern state schools are wondering what the hell has happened?

Nonetheless, I have heard from a couple of sources that the Big XII is considering going after Boise State and San Diego State, both members of the Mountain West Conference. They both have pretty good football programs and SDSU has had a very good men's basketball program of late as well. If that were to happen,

If you look at that map above, can you imagine that conference with those 2 schools as well? I mean, you would have schools in states that border the Pacific Ocean, the Atlantic Ocean, Canada and Mexico. That just doesn't strike me as a league that is very sustainable. As it is, I'm not sure this conglomeration of schools is going to be able to make it anyway.

They like football. I think that's the only commonality at this point with a lot of conferences. The Pac-12 is the only major one I can think of that lives up to its name both geographically and numerically.

(now with spelling variations)
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/16/21 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

In looking at that map, it is clearly spread out. I also start to wonder, what on earth do those schools really have in common?

They like football. I think that's the only commonality at this point with a lot of conferences. The Pac-12 is the only major one I can think of that lives up to its name both geographically and numerically.

Perhaps ironically, with how spread out its schools now look geographically, the Big 12 is starting to look like the very conference it's grabbing most of its new members from: the American.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: