RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Mongolia
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Team USA
84%
 84%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 19

Shades

PostPosted: 07/20/21 10:28 am    ::: . Reply Reply with quote

Last edited by Shades on 07/24/21 5:28 am; edited 3 times in total
Howee

PostPosted: 07/20/21 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2 questions:

1. What does the WR 743 designation refer to?

2. When I click on the fiba/olympics link, why does it only show Pool A matchups?

PostPosted: 07/20/21 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
2 questions:

1. What does the WR 743 designation refer to?

2. When I click on the fiba/olympics link, why does it only show Pool A matchups?

WR is their current world ranking, which generally reflects how much players have played and not how good that they are.

I have no idea why they decided that they needed to name the group stage Pool A, but all the teams are playing each other so there is only one pool.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/21/21 3:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
I have no idea why they decided that they needed to name the group stage Pool A, but all the teams are playing each other so there is only one pool.

And after the 28 group games, 6 of the 8 teams go through to the knock-out stages anyway. Whole thing feels rather contrived to create as many games as possible while only having 8 teams at the Games.

But then, as WNBA fans I guess we're used to seeing a crapload of games only to then send almost everyone through to the playoffs at the end anyway...

PostPosted: 07/21/21 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

And after the 28 group games, 6 of the 8 teams go through to the knock-out stages anyway. Whole thing feels rather contrived to create as many games as possible while only having 8 teams at the Games.

Once again, please pardon my idiocy, but....why is there no team named "USA" among those 8?? Shocked

PostPosted: 07/21/21 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that's the men's page that got posted. The USA men did not qualify. I just tried to find the women's page for 3x3, but I couldn't find it. It might be there, but the navigation is not as obvious as it is for the men.

PostPosted: 07/21/21 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I think that's the men's page that got posted. The USA men did not qualify. I just tried to find the women's page for 3x3, but I couldn't find it. It might be there, but the navigation is not as obvious as it is for the men.

It's on the same page. Those three drop-down menus at the top, if you click on the top one (which appears blank on my screen), you get to choose between the men's and the women's tournament. It's not the greatest piece of web-design you're ever going to see.

PostPosted: 07/21/21 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing The ol' blank dropdown menu. Yep, that's one place I didn't look. I tried "More" and I also went back to the FIBA front page where they broke down basketball by Men, Women, and 3x3 without gender.

PostPosted: 07/21/21 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Laughing The ol' blank dropdown menu. Yep, that's one place I didn't look. I tried "More" and I also went back to the FIBA front page where they broke down basketball by Men, Women, and 3x3 without gender.

"Without gender"??? Didn't see that one, and I'm not even TRY to find that one. Razz Laughing

I thank you all for the pointers. Cool

PostPosted: 07/21/21 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smile I meant without a gender split, which that website menu usually provides. The Olympics do have events in equestrian and sailing that are open to both men and women together. I think they used to have co-ed shooting competitions but it looks like they no longer exist.

PostPosted: 07/21/21 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do 5 on 5 teams have to have players that have a sufficient world rating? If not, why does 3 on 3?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/21/21 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Do 5 on 5 teams have to have players that have a sufficient world rating? If not, why does 3 on 3?

As with literally any other sport in any other discipline - because the governing body says so. I presume the reasoning is that they wanted people to have had some level of involvement in the 3x3 game before playing at the Games.

PostPosted: 07/21/21 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
tfan wrote:

As with literally any other sport in any other discipline - because the governing body says so. I presume the reasoning is that they wanted people to have had some level of involvement in the 3x3 game before playing at the Games.

not meaning to be paranoid, but it could simply be an anti-American thing since we probably have the most players who could otherwise be plugged in.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/22/21 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
tfan wrote:

not meaning to be paranoid, but it could simply be an anti-American thing since we probably have the most players who could otherwise be plugged in.

Well a central tenet of what FIBA are trying to do with 3x3 is make the game more inclusive and open to smaller nations, who might not have the talent or the resources to build a competitive 5-on-5 squad but could compete on the smaller scale of 3x3. So that kind of ends up being anti-American because the US is so big, rich and deep that you're inevitably minimising some of their advantages.

But it hurts other countries as well. Russia for example, especially without a 5-on-5 team to worry about, could've put Vadeeva, Musina etc. into their 3x3 team without those rules. But I also think that would go against what FIBA is trying to achieve with 3x3. They're trying to establish it as a proper discipline in its own right, and you rather minimise that if you just chuck in three or four of your top general basketball players at the last minute to try to win.

PostPosted: 07/22/21 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel a bit bad for those top general basketball players who always had a strong connection to 3x3 basketball in their blood and their culture but happened to play 5x5 in recent years because it was just kind of the path of least resistance.

PostPosted: 07/23/21 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well Luuuc will more easily watch these live than us folks who don't normally get up to watch basketball in the middle of the night.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/23/21 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those who just want to watch the 3x3, regardless of who's playing, it starts at fairly standard WNBA time tonight (just after 9pm ET). I know this because it's in the early hours of the morning for me, just like the WNBA usually is.

PostPosted: 07/23/21 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
well Luuuc will more easily watch these live than us folks who don't normally get up to watch basketball in the middle of the night.

Yes indeed. It's a fairly rare treat for the games to be in an aussie-friendly time zone.
(Which makes it super annoying that I've got a number of out-of-town jobs over the next couple of weeks so I'll miss most of the live action Mad )

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: